Who pays maintenance for roads outside your territory?

Woefdram

L'apprenti sorcier
I pay maintenance for the roads that I build. I assume I also pay maintenance for roads that I build outside my own territory.

But who pays maintenance for a road outside claimed territory when the city it leads to is conquered?

In other words, would it be wise to remove sections of road when I conquer a city that has has a road leading to someone else's city? And if so, should I only remove the pieces in my newly conquered territory, or even pieces that go through the wild?

Good question, I also wonder how much of the road you pay for that leads to a CS who made a road request. I would think you pay for the road that is in your land, but the road that is in the CS territory, what about that?

Exactly. I assume that you pay for maintenance for the road to a CS that you build, but "assumption is the brother of all f*ck ups" (Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels).

Each civ/CS pays for the roads in its own territory.
Roads in neutral territory are paid for by the Civ/CS that built them until such time as the territory is no longer neutral.

What I don't know is:
If I capture a city, the roads in that territory become mine and, thus, I pay for them. But if I capture a city and raze it, that territory then become neutral again. So does the original city's founder pay for those roads because they built them, or do I pay for them because, while the city was being razed, I was technically the owner of that territory?

Hmm, good question. I just razed a city and found out that Roman legions can build roads, but not remove them :)

Hmm, do I pay maintenance for my roads if they have been pillaged..?

If you can't remove the roads with a worker then you are not paying for them. Pillaged roads require maintenence.

If you can't remove the roads with a worker then you are not paying for them.

That sounds like a waterproof test, thanks! Going to try that tonight.

Top Bottom