The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #7 - Songhai

I finished with an Atomic-era Diplo victory on turn 255. It was a UNANIMOUS VICTORY -- every single world leader vote was cast in my name.

Spoiler :
I took out France, Japan, and Portugal with Crossbows. Got Gatlings in time for war with Siam, and those were also enough to get Attila, especially with a ton of free units from Militaristic CSes. Gandhi built the Great Wall, so I waited for Artillery and got him with a secondary army. Reduced Attila to almost nothing, then liberated Brazil and simultaneously eliminated Attila the turn before the final vote. Brazil voted for me. :)

I delayed Printing Press a lot and was able to get into the Atomic Era before the second World Congress session. Had to wait 15 turns for World Leader vote -- not too bad. Went to Atomic through the bottom part of the tech tree, which I think is cheaper, beakers-wise, and is also kind of a no-brainer if you want Artillery.

I have a somewhat longer writeup with a bunch of pictures linked below. I don't like confining things to external links and would rather copy-paste it directly here, but I have trouble with image sizing/formatting on this forum:

http://manpanzeegames.blogspot.com/2014/10/civ-v-immortal-challenge-songhai_27.html

Attachments

• Victory.jpg
    Victory.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 96
I finished with an Atomic-era Diplo victory on turn 255. It was a UNANIMOUS VICTORY -- every single world leader vote was cast in my name.

Spoiler :
I took out France, Japan, and Portugal with Crossbows. Got Gatlings in time for war with Siam, and those were also enough to get Attila, especially with a ton of free units from Militaristic CSes. Gandhi built the Great Wall, so I waited for Artillery and got him with a secondary army. Reduced Attila to almost nothing, then liberated Brazil and simultaneously eliminated Attila the turn before the final vote. Brazil voted for me. :)

I delayed Printing Press a lot and was able to get into the Atomic Era before the second World Congress session. Had to wait 15 turns for World Leader vote -- not too bad. Went to Atomic through the bottom part of the tech tree, which I think is cheaper, beakers-wise, and is also kind of a no-brainer if you want Artillery.

I have a somewhat longer writeup with a bunch of pictures linked below. I don't like confining things to external links and would rather copy-paste it directly here, but I have trouble with image sizing/formatting on this forum:

http://manpanzeegames.blogspot.com/2014/10/civ-v-immortal-challenge-songhai_27.html

Good read! I use to do war/diplo but I never did it this way. I'll try.

Maybe on the upcoming challenge as Sweden!

Next is Sweden?

I always wanted to find FoY and get a Khan with Sweden.

Or as Indonesia and get Immortal with FoY and Khan, that defensive heal.

In my thousands of hours I have never found FoY...

Next is Sweden?

I always wanted to find FoY and get a Khan with Sweden.

Or as Indonesia and get Immortal with FoY and Khan, that defensive heal.

In my thousands of hours I have never found FoY...

Is that an achievement or just a dream of yours?

I have found it a couple of times. Once pretty close as Spain. That was an easy win! :D

I am a bit confused. Is it a preset or some sort of glitch that I have only 1 resource of each horse and iron on this map? Usually 2 is the minimum.

Is that an achievement or just a dream of yours?

I have found it a couple of times. Once pretty close as Spain. That was an easy win! :D

I just want to have march units that heal an insane amount. Given how slow the AI is you can get Caroleans early enough to take cities without any artillery support. Makes conquering super fast.

I see, I have never played "sparse" resources before and I didn't see it anywhere in the settings description of this ICL game. I have to admit that initially gold was a problem and partially it was because of this.

Anyway I have won this map on T253 Diplomatic

Spoiler :

I always love desert/river/mountain starts :) First 3 city NC and Petra right after that. Settler was already prepared to settle the 4th city on the coast. Education a bit late around T115-120 and gold was a problem since I could not even buy university in my capital. Also WLTKD was a big problem for the whole game since I got citrus only at the very end. Got religion - faith from desert tiles, gold for every 4 followers and 15% faster growth rate. I could keep my religion in 2-3 cities throughout the game which was fine. I have also built Notre Dame in this game which is uncommon for me on Immortal/Deity. I was involved in one war when France attacked me but they could not really do much and the war was over. After that France, India and Japan were fighting each other pretty often. Also Huns were hostile but very far from us.

Policies: Full tradition, Patronage opener + philanthropy, commerce right hand tree to buy cheaper stuff, full rationalism.
Ideologies: Freedom, there was no coal initially and I kinda like it better than Order. By the end of game only India reached ideology choice and they picked Order.

Later in the game gold was much better and I could buy many CS allies and win DV. Thank you for the map.

Attachments

• songh253dv.jpg
    songh253dv.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 226
T256 domV

yay one more win, with another strategy, i'm starting to improve more and more.
This one i wanted to try the liberty domination and worked pretty well (thx acken for the china DCL videos)

Spoiler :
game started pretty well, the hill mouvement bonus is insane ... got 3 worker pretty easyli from france thx to it.
did settle 3 city pretty fast, then started to war with CBs, captured japan and france with them.
used the liberty engineer to get petra in capital obviously, never seen a better spot for petra i think.

then waited for XBs to go for gandhi cause his capital allready was 40+ defence, so without pikemans and XBs its probably not possible to take it.
the delhi capture solved every single hapiness problem with all his nice wonders :p

then started the east move, thoose shokepoints blocked by city states are seriously anoying, next time i'll get optics much earlier ...
i had some troubles going through the brazil chokepoints too, the 3 tiles large forest city was so hard to cross.
the 3 XBs in the finishing screen are the true warriors of this game, fully upgraded they took down every single city in this game.
Didnt expect the UU to be that strong too, they did a really nice job pillaging tanking and dealing dmg to cities.

really nice game and map, just had trouble keeping city connexion with AIs resettling everywhere after loosing their capital.

T256 domV

yay one more win, with another strategy, i'm starting to improve more and more.
This one i wanted to try the liberty domination and worked pretty well (thx acken for the china DCL videos)

Spoiler :
game started pretty well, the hill mouvement bonus is insane ... got 3 worker pretty easyli from france thx to it.
did settle 3 city pretty fast, then started to war with CBs, captured japan and france with them.
used the liberty engineer to get petra in capital obviously, never seen a better spot for petra i think.

then waited for XBs to go for gandhi cause his capital allready was 40+ defence, so without pikemans and XBs its probably not possible to take it.
the delhi capture solved every single hapiness problem with all his nice wonders :p

then started the east move, thoose shokepoints blocked by city states are seriously anoying, next time i'll get optics much earlier ...
i had some troubles going through the brazil chokepoints too, the 3 tiles large forest city was so hard to cross.
the 3 XBs in the finishing screen are the true warriors of this game, fully upgraded they took down every single city in this game.
Didnt expect the UU to be that strong too, they did a really nice job pillaging tanking and dealing dmg to cities.

really nice game and map, just had trouble keeping city connexion with AIs resettling everywhere after loosing their capital.

Glad you liked it. This is one of my favorites. Since you are playing through these ICL:s I suggest you give Sweden a go. Thats a nice map with few wins.

well i planed to skip sweden one cause i allready got a win with them on immortal but ok i'll give it a go.
i really dont like sweden cause of their tundra start tbh hope the start is as good as the one i got on my win with them.

india game is allmost finished, didnt misplay like corean game, but finishing time will be pretty bad, the wltkd missing (no whales before turn 230...) and the wars slowed it way too much, i wish i didnt focus so much on SV.

extra SS from the early game :
Spoiler :

Spoiler :
I had intended to try for a cultural victory but France and India had other ideas. I resorted to Domination, using a combination of land-based and naval forces to deal with distant capitals. The Songhai UA was quite helpful for generating a war chest, the UA was useful (especially when promoted units were upgraded to cavalry) but the UB was not able to hold the culture waves of the AI. I went Tradition / Commerce / Autocracy. Took a long time to move armies across the map.

Top Bottom