The Sword of Islam 0.4.0 Discussion

I know. My concern is why that city is not preplaced..

Because there's no reason to pre-place it. Founding date doesn't count. Nearly every city on the map was founded before 750 CE. If that was a factor, the whole map would have to be filled with pre-placed cities, and settlers would become obsolete. You have to think about founding cities as them becoming important game-play wise - it's the same with RFC and any mod-mod - if you look at RFCE, you also get an empty map that should actually be filled with hundreds of cities founded long before 600 AD.

1) Would you please make Timurid spawn conditional? It annoys me since I passed the Mongol Invasion...

Conditional civs are there only to prevent civs occupying the exact same place (i.e. Egypt).

2) I have entered the Mongol Invasion Era era in early 1100 and enter the Gunpowder Empire Era era few turns before Mongol Invasion begin. I just took Black Powder which lead me to Flint?lock (CMIIW) and able to train Arquebusier approximately 250-300 year earlier :)

Nothing wrong with that, except the era name. I admit that "Mongol Invasions" isn't the best name for a tech-based era. If you have a better idea, let me know! Just while typing this, I thought "Broken Crescent" might be a better choice, and a tribute to the M2TW mod that inspired me to make SoI.

3) I'm not sure but I think the Mongol Invasion in 0.4.0 is a bit weaker (or AI is stronger) than the 0.3.5 one..?

I have the same impression from my games, and I'm not sure why this is the case. Nothing was changed in terms of Mongol invasions.

4) And perhaps make Mughal spawn conditional too, if and only if Hindoustan failed to thwart Mongol away?

No. Bluebags explained it well enough. There's no way to measure it properly, and no point in doing it, gameplay-wise.

5) What do you think about changing the pre-requisite to build Tomb of Khalid ibn-Walid? It's just strange that he died in around 600-700s but the earliest time I've ever seen it build is around 1000...

It's not about his death, which happens before the mod event starts, but about building an exquisite tomb for him, so it doesn't matter much when it is built.

Because there's no reason to pre-place it. Founding date doesn't count. Nearly every city on the map was founded before 750 CE. If that was a factor, the whole map would have to be filled with pre-placed cities, and settlers would become obsolete. You have to think about founding cities as them becoming important game-play wise - it's the same with RFC and any mod-mod - if you look at RFCE, you also get an empty map that should actually be filled with hundreds of cities founded long before 600 AD.

Well.. yes.. it's just strange for me seeing Egypt is really bare :) Will get used to it..

Conditional civs are there only to prevent civs occupying the exact same place (i.e. Egypt).

Weren't Khwarezmid and Timurid will occupy the exact same place then?

Nothing wrong with that, except the era name. I admit that "Mongol Invasions" isn't the best name for a tech-based era. If you have a better idea, let me know! Just while typing this, I thought "Broken Crescent" might be a better choice, and a tribute to the M2TW mod that inspired me to make SoI.

No idea either... But since Islamic Golden Age start from 750AD and didn't end until at least 1258AD.. (wiki).. :hmm:

I have the same impression from my games, and I'm not sure why this is the case. Nothing was changed in terms of Mongol invasions.

Could it be because AI is smarter? Or at least do know that Mongol is coming so they're taking as many preemptive move like us Human stacking lots of military army..?

No. Bluebags explained it well enough. There's no way to measure it properly, and no point in doing it, gameplay-wise.

Okay

It's not about his death, which happens before the mod event starts, but about building an exquisite tomb for him, so it doesn't matter much when it is built.

So why don't you rename it to Khalid Ibn-Walid Mosque? I know this is unimportant at all.. just to make it more sense ;)

Another thing,
what do you think about making some promotions is achievable without combat?
For example is the

Desert Adaptation...
Grant it to soldiers that have been like 50 or 100 turn consecutively in desert tiles..

Weren't Khwarezmid and Timurid will occupy the exact same place then?

When the Timurids spawn, they will start out with Samarkand and be at war with the Khwarezmids. Cities in Sogdiana, Fargana and Tocharistan will flip to the Timurids.

No idea either... But since Islamic Golden Age start from 750AD and didn't end until at least 1258AD.. (wiki).. :hmm:

Exactly... and that's when Mongols came.

Could it be because AI is smarter? Or at least do know that Mongol is coming so they're taking as many preemptive move like us Human stacking lots of military army..?

No, the AI in CIV (and 99% of games) doesn't work like that. It cannot "learn" or remember anything between games. The only way to make the AI smarter is to code it better... and I certainly didn't do it. It likely has something to do with balance factors or stability, i.e. I fixed courthouses, which weren't giving stability bonus if a temple was already giving it (they come late though and don't explain why Ghaznavids etc. are so stable).

Another thing,
what do you think about making some promotions is achievable without combat?
For example is the

Desert Adaptation...
Grant it to soldiers that have been like 50 or 100 turn consecutively in desert tiles..

There's a modmod like that, but tbh checking counters for hundreds of units every turn is a very bad idea, game-speed wise.

I love the music that is on during the opening menu, could it please become part of the in-game cycle also?

Edessa has been destroyed, but the County of Edessa lives on (it should have become County of Tripoli, surely?)

Spoiler :

This wasn't just a one-turn thing either - the County of Edessa lived on out of Tripoli for several turns until the Zengids eventually captured this city also.

The Knight of Antioch's ability to flank attack Marksmen and Archers is not working all the time.

Edead, are you sure that you tweaked the URVs scoring? To me it seems that the tweak affects UHVs.

Edead, are you sure that you tweaked the URVs scoring? To me it seems that the tweak affects UHVs.

Yeah, absolutely positive. There's 50% (possibly too high though) bonus to score for Religious, Conquest, Domination and Cultural victory only.

There was an earlier tweak to all scoring based birth date and projected UHV finish date, but that was in 0.3.0 or so. Normally the amount of time bonus depends on how early you finish, from turn 0 to max turn, i.e. 500; it was changed so that turns are counted from birth date to last UHV check. So if you play with Abbasids you get big time bonus if you finish, say in 1100, but no time bonus if you finish in 1250 or later, no matter what victory.

The Knight of Antioch's ability to flank attack Marksmen and Archers is not working all the time.

Double-check, since several people brought this up: flanking only works if the unit is victorious.

I love the music that is on during the opening menu, could it please become part of the in-game cycle also?

I also liked it (it's from cybrxkhan's diplo pack), which is why I used it for main menu. It's technically possible (unlike playing Victory song once and going back to normal soundtrack, which someone else about asked earlier). To me it's really different from remaining tracks, which are good for background music, and this one is quite heavy and fast, but I'll see if it blends...

On a related topic, anyone knows of a track with aggressive war drums in Middle Eastern style, to replace the stock war drums in diplomacy? Something traditional and clear, without melody or too much special effects.

Edessa has been destroyed, but the County of Edessa lives on (it should have become County of Tripoli, surely?)

Found & fixed it, thanks.

Yeah, absolutely positive. There's 50% (possibly too high though) bonus to score for Religious, Conquest, Domination and Cultural victory only.

There was an earlier tweak to all scoring based birth date and projected UHV finish date, but that was in 0.3.0 or so. Normally the amount of time bonus depends on how early you finish, from turn 0 to max turn, i.e. 500; it was changed so that turns are counted from birth date to last UHV check. So if you play with Abbasids you get big time bonus if you finish, say in 1100, but no time bonus if you finish in 1250 or later, no matter what victory.

Okey, that explains it.

Double-check, since several people brought this up: flanking only works if the unit is victorious.

I looked back at some save games today but couldn't replicate the issue. I guess that I may have been mistaken, but I definitely thought I should have seen more flanking than I did during my PoA game last night.

On a related topic, anyone knows of a track with aggressive war drums in Middle Eastern style, to replace the stock war drums in diplomacy? Something traditional and clear, without melody or too much special effects.

Could you have different "at war" diplomacy music for different cultural groups? I reckon the KoJ normal diplo music probably would be good for crusaders and/or all of christianity. I don't really know how to search for music, so not sure how hard of a time you'd have finding appropriate tracks for each grouping you might want to have.

Could you have different "at war" diplomacy music for different cultural groups? I reckon the KoJ normal diplo music probably would be good for crusaders and/or all of christianity. I don't really know how to search for music, so not sure how hard of a time you'd have finding appropriate tracks for each grouping you might want to have.

War drums can change like any diplo music, so it can be different for every civ and era. I have a hard time finding "war drums" though, because it doesn't seem to be a common theme for this cultural area (except Crusaders) and anything with the "war" keyword in it and Arabs or Middle East quickly points to some YouTube material about Taliban, terrorists and such...

I can't remember what the Civ3 diplo soundtracks were like, but I seem to remember there being some variation. If I remember I might go through them and let you know if I find anything that feels anywhere near appropriate.

I can't remember what the Civ3 diplo soundtracks were like, but I seem to remember there being some variation. If I remember I might go through them and let you know if I find anything that feels anywhere near appropriate.

I have Civ3, their war sounds for Middle East are Mesopotamian, both Early & Late ones...

When the Timurids spawn, they will start out with Samarkand and be at war with the Khwarezmids. Cities in Sogdiana, Fargana and Tocharistan will flip to the Timurids.

Which flip more than 50% of the cities...
How about this.
If Khwarezmids is HUMAN, Timurid spawn flipping Samarqand and spawn troops near the cities they should flip to.. ?

Top Bottom