Community Deity Game #1 - Persia

I was very careful w/ file loading. Pikes still will not upgrade!

It is just a couple achievement points, but it nerfs my whole game. I don’t mind avoiding Civil Service, but I don’t need Lancers with Cover, let alone ten of them!
That's ... strange. Did you start over from the beginning or re-loaded a previous saved game?

All of the mods here were created by a single modder, and this modder (whoward) is one of the (very) few modders capable of improving firaxis own code, so there shouldn't be major bugs or incompatibilities in those. However, as the pikes->muskets was set to "affect saved games", it's possible that unsetting the flag and trying to use the mod on saves created without gives unpredictable results.

If however, you restarted from the T0 save with all mods enabled, i don't know, maybe some corrupt file :confused:

Also, what do you mean "avoiding civil service"? You still need Civil Service to upgrade your Immortals to Pikes, and then the Pikes should upgrade to Muskets. You won't upgrade Immortals to sword line with the mod.

EDIT : also yes, saved games created with mods (at least, mods that affect saved games) go in the "ModdedSaves" folder (even thought CiV seems to load them fine if you put them in the normal "Saves" folder).

In hindsight, a 4-5 city turtle to Modern Armors would have done the trick but that would have taken forever.

I'm not giving up though, just doing the immediate cancel (and the fact that conquest still ain't what I'm not terrible at)

what do you mean "avoiding civil service"? You still need Civil Service to upgrade your Immortals to Pikes, and then the Pikes should upgrade to Muskets. You won't upgrade Immortals to sword line with the mod.

Delaying Civil Service allows the training of as many units as possible that heal at double speed. Training pikes misses out on this.

Well you can take down first AI using Horses/Immortals/Catapults, then use Knights/Pikes/Trebs, then Muskets/Cannons and then Rifles/Arty. I definitely see roleplaying potential here but I honestly don't know if that can be efficient enough on Deity.

Perhaps HCA? Come on guys, I was really bummed out I had to quit but there was simply to way to break down that guy on the west despite serious chunks in his armour (and one bonfire where a city used to be lulz)

I did liberty until settler, then honor. 5 cities in order to pump out more cities to reach higher unit cap for training 2 army's worth of immortals. I also did not start conquering NW until Pike/Trebs and 1 knight. Advance steady and slow, hopefully his knights will suicide into your pikes. And when he has no knights, you can surround city and start working on setting up siege. Immortal upgraded unit heals like crazy, so don't be afraid to shuffle the front line to heal. I went back to finish liberty for GS and golden age once Chichen Itza was conquered, for a much longer GA.

This map is hard probably because of the size, it took me until turn 200 or so to have at least half of the map. It should speed up significantly once artillery comes.

The problem with that is by the time you have enough Cats/Immortals, everyone else has Pikes so you probably can't attack with Cats even if you wanted to.

I think the safest bet is the Modern Armor assault in which you save up all your Artists for one big Golden Age. The problem with that would be to generate enough culture to finish Commerce and have both Blitzkrieg and Clausewitz. It's so easy to manage all that on Immortal but Deity ups the ante a lot, AI cities on turn 220 are at most 75-80 while they're close to 110 on Deity

I guess the achievements did the job if people are debating whether or not to go for all of them vs. finishing the map! :D

EDIT: Just noticed some people speculating about the size of the map. I think it's
Spoiler :
Pangaea Plus NQ with low sea level
.]

That's ... strange. Did you start over from the beginning or re-loaded a previous saved game?

I don’t know why I am having trouble. I went back to the initial T0 post and only ever used the MODS menu to load games. I was not paying close enough attention to notice if the Fixed Pantheon / Prophet worked as advertised.

I reset the .modinfo file to the original setting. The only hiccup might be that I initial loaded Pike -> Muskets v.1 from Steam Workshop. I have that version disabled, but it keeps recreated the files. I manually delete it, but it comes right back!

also yes, saved games created with mods (at least, mods that affect saved games) go in the "ModdedSaves" folder (even thought CiV seems to load them fine if you put them in the normal "Saves" folder).

Thanks, found them. Not sure why Finder search did turn them up.

Might give this one a go after I finish my current Xcom long war campaign (could be easily another month ).

Sounds like a match for HCA but not a perfect one. Honor opening delays war if possible - keeping a 10+ army while at peace is not economically feasible on civ V. So war with pikes and 3 moves trebuchets ? Beeline gunpowder ? It's been so long it's all fuzzy but I'll eventually make a plan out of it especially once I see the terrain :) .

Started playing this, going for the no ranged units achievement. But I've encountered a weird bug: when I conquer a city, there's no pop-up with the options to annex or puppet. Instead it just seems to automatically annex with no happiness penalty, as if the city had a courthouse. Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? I'm pretty sure I've been loading the saves correctly since the mods do work as expected.

I was hoping to liberate
Spoiler :
Pedro who was eliminated by Monty around T60. Capturing Sao Paulo was the first instance of the bug. Then I take Thebes a couple of turns later and the same thing happens...

Edit: restarted the game and reloaded a save from a few turns back, everything works fine now. :)

I started this one. Even though I've been playing quite a bit of BERT I can tell that the Civ 5 mechanics are seriously rusty.

to t80
Spoiler :

This start looks really strong. Not sure where to settle, so I chose the southern gold. If I'd known this was a strategic balance map I wouldn't have moved.

Not sure how to play this so I went triple scout -> worker. This didn't really pay off since the ruins I landed were poor. No pop or culture.

Liberty or Tradition? I don't think either is a bad choice, but the nice mountain capital suggests Tradition will be solid.

A big change from BERT is the need to worker steal. I didn't do this well -> only one from Ramses. I should have been planning a CS raid from the very early turns :blush:

The plan is to try for all the achievements, with the possible exception of 100 turns of GA. That seems like a tall order on this map (the AIs seem quite strong. Or maybe its just my BERT brain complaining.) This means I'll need to spam Immortals very soon, and likely delay CS for a while.

For some reason I'm having a hard time selling surplus resources. Perhaps this is a side effect of strategic balance?

t80:

Note the forward settle by Pedro. Now that's his only city.

to t100
Spoiler :

Just basic building for a few turns. I've collected 13 Immortals as a military force. This should allow me to use them offensively without risk of breaking the achievement. That's the plan anyways. All the Immortal hammers have set development back several turns, but I should be fine. Monty is a massive hate magnet which is currently making diplomacy a breeze.

T188 DomV without ranged units

Spoiler :
Full Tradition - Full Commerce - Liberty right side. Big Ben + Mercantilism in a Persian golden age with 300+ gpt = win.

I opened with a 5-city NC which I got around T90. I was unlucky with ruins in the beginning, no culture or population. Got one Scarcher though, which was nice. I couldn't get much done with cultural CSs, so I finished Tradition painfully late, T99.

Education on turn 102, then teched Physics and started spamming Trebuchets. I attacked Egypt on T118 as my first wave of Trebs was up, and went for Aztecs ~10 turns later. Monty was fighting the whole world at that point, so I quickly took Rio from him and liberated Sao Paulo. Egypt was harder to crack, had to be very patient as Trebuchets die so easily. I got a second natural Golden Age on turn 130 thanks to lux trades, that helped a lot.

Spoiler T100 :

Spoiler T130 :

Spoiler T146 :

I hit Dynamite on T154 and had Thebes, Rio and Tenochtitlan at that point. Had enough money to upgrade 16 arties or so, sent the Egyptian army to flank Moscow and the Aztec army straight to Onondaga using Monty's roads. Neither Russia nor Iroquois managed to do much against artillery and I got their capitals around T170. I won WF on T166 with 980 hammers and started preparing for the final push into Morocco and India with the Liberty GA. I also realized I wouldn't need Sci Theory at all and switched to Rifling and Industrialization.

Spoiler T166 :

Moving the units took a while. Thankfully all the AIs were friendly after making peace with me and I could get open borders with everyone. I annexed Onondaga and Tenochtitlan to rush-buy extra units. Morocco didn't have an army at all, India with Red Fort and Gatlings/Rifles took longer. But there's really nothing the AI can do against massive unit spam. I cracked the defenses and got the first Indian city just as open borders from Monty ended, and Delhi fell like 3 turns later.

This was a very fun game. Persia's a great civ, I really enjoyed the map script and the mods were a very nice addition as well. Thanks for the map, looking forward to play the next one. :)

Spoiler Victory :

I initial loaded Pike -> Muskets v.1 from Steam Workshop. I have that version disabled, but it keeps recreated the files. I manually delete it, but it comes right back!

Go into the Steam Workshop and manually 'Unsubscribe' all the mods. Then leave that website and never go back. Manually install the mods you want from now on. Leave the Workshop alone. It doesn't work properly. Frankly, I think it's garbage. The only good thing about Steam are the special offers from time to time.

This game is too tough for me, my warmongering much slow. My tech and culture all see slower, I am like forth or fifth to ideologies. Of course, the better player win before that even. Game went a little slower, but the lead civ launches ~T325 just as I am finally bearing down on him.

Go into the Steam Workshop and manually 'Unsubscribe' all the mods.
I don’t know how to go into the Steam Workshop except through the Civ MODS menu. I of course use Steam to Launch the game, but I do not see anything about the workshop there.

Click Community

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@valadaz: That was really impressive.

I'm gonna have a second go at this, but this time hold on until Modern Armor, providing there's enough Aluminium on the map, 4 cities this time instead of 3, RLabs before Combustion, obviously. That way I should also have enough time to pick up Blitzkrieg and save up all Artists for a ~40 turn golden age, which with everything else added SHOULD be enough to get a good enough score.

Not anytime soon though, as I'm starting another side project next week, apparently :(

Click Community [in steam]

Thanks! But I am still not finding something like “subscribed mods” in there.

I am happy to say I have figured out my problem though! I had messed the install by conforming the file directory to match what had worked before, because I thought the unpacking had gone awry. By looking at the .modinfo file, I see that the XML folder with the single file inside it was intentional.

I am trying again. This time I SIP (I also missed that the setup is strategic balance) which is nice for a couple reasons: (1) Avoids a T20 (!) forward settle from the crazy civ. (2) Better coastal expo. (3) I am not tempted to put down 5th city. Also, I didn’t settle to steal faith mountain from CS as DF gives plenty of faith, and that expo was too low on food.

It is T155 and Pikes are upgrading, so I am a happy camper. Just DOW's the crazy civ who is now at war with whole map, and because it times with my first Golden Age. I have not taken any cities, but I stole workers from 3 AIs and CS, so game is going better this time.

What are the advantages of Modern Armor versus Mobile SAM + Rocket Artillery?

Mobile SAM + Rocket Arty is extremely slow in terms of killing off enemy carpets, has to chew through enemy melee lines and has very limited maneuverability.

I mostly don't understand why people even do Tank or Modern Armor rushes when all you have to do is to concentrate on beakers, bulb for Atomic Bombs and XCom and finish the game in a matter of three to ten turns.

I literally had a game where I played an incredibly slow 3 City Tradition Carthage with horrible dirt and still managed to get XCom at around T240. (This was on AckenMod, where the tech curve is slowed down)

In that same game I used ABombs plus XCom to take five (!) Capitals in two turns, simultaneously of course. I'm not very good at domination, so it's not like this requires a lot of planning.

Really, the four big technologies (on Pangea) to beeline for are: Crossbowmen, Artillery (probably the biggest one), Bombers (probably the most irrelevant one, since AI will have anti air at this point) and XCom.

Tank rushes work, don't get me wrong, but I think there are far easier ways to finish a Domination Victory. You could just as well do a Landship rush, or a Modern Armor rush, any of those.

Firstly, some games will have mods enabled, which were always avoided on the DCL, since the rationale was that it would exclude a lot of people that wanted to play, as not everyone may have been able to run them. But I think it’s become clear that only a hardcore of regular Deity players remain, plus a few who are trying to ‘move up’ to Deity. Additionally, many of us that have been playing Civ 5 BNW for a long time crave some extra variety, and some use of mods was seen as a way to achieve this.

Secondly, there will be suggested VCs (Victory Conditions) and a list of Achievements for each map. This will be recorded, and will take the place of the previous records spreadsheet which was focused on the ‘Top Finishers list’ and which has been abolished.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be playing any of the CDG Challenges then. The fact that in order to be recorded you have to pursue the suggested the VC (even the idea that if you don't pursue the suggested VC you should somehow be sanctioned) is pretty repulsive to me. It limits not only creative freedom, but also makes it so that a lot of write-ups and experiences will be similiar to the point of boredom. It also makes one have a strategy right from the start which I think is a horrible thing - it has also cost me countless games. I much prefer developing my strategy as I develop my empire, depending on my dirt, who my enemies are, what the map looks like, what the diplomatic relations are and so forth. I was really looking forward for this since I never got to participate in the DCLs. Oh well.

Back to Acken Deity™ I go.

to t150 - building towards the good stuff

Spoiler :

So this is the period where deciding a plan for this game makes some sense. Mindless building is fun, but I do need to knock heads at some point.

I think that point will be Flight. This means I'll need schools. Getting enough GA turns means that another GA soonish will keep the 100 turn goal in reach. That means LtoP -> Taj Majal will work.

All these pieces fall into place. The Taj GA is helping to build schools quickly:

I did get an XB as a CS gift which was promptly deleted. Next I guess WF will be a goal -> this should get a third GA. I might just get silver depending on how the timing works out. Oxford will be used for Flight so GWBs are not too far away.

India is the major threat this game. Gandhi has three cities well above 20 pop - and he hasn't overexpanded (unlike Cathy). I'm at tech parity with him, however, and should be able to pull ahead.

Top Bottom