RawSasquatch/Kramer's New Civilizations

Light infantry?
Skirmishers?

If it was for the French, I would suggest Voltigeurs....but that clearly would not work for the CSA.

"Monstrous slave-owners in charge of psychotic God-addled racists" would be quite hard to fit on the unit label.

On a more serious note, how about the CHG? The Confederate Home Guard was a loosely-connected bunch of auxiliaries tasked with more of a support role, staying behind to defend the home front and shoot deserters while the proper Confederate Army charged towards the Union until they realised soldiers work better when not emaciated husks, at which point the whole endeavour went south. Literally. It fits in with the more defensive nature of the unit you've laid out - especially the bonus from being on an Antebellum Manor - and it's not something people really talk about. Hope that's useful. =]

Or just Home Guard?

Well, the Union forces had a Home Guard too, and if someone's playing a game with Typhlo's Dad's Army mod, then there could be conflict. =]

"Confederate Confederate Home Guard" doesn't have a nice ring to it, though. "Home Guard" does, though you raise a good point about it having a thematic conflict with Dad's Army. I'm thinking I might just keep it "Sharpshooter" or some synonym (Marksman?), especially since I already went and did a Pedia entry for it. Either way, it's a long ways from complete; Yucatan is coming soon, and California a while after that, it's likely that the poor old CSA could be a ways off. So there's plenty of time to change it/come up with a better name.

I have a UB idea for Scotland:
Enciente Castle: replaces castle. in addition to the effects of usual castle, the enciente castle will provide +2 gold and +1 culture.
And also a UI idea:
Keep and Bailey: can't be built on hill(not sure about that, and can't be adjacent to a fort. The Keep and Bailey will give + 1 gold and also +1 culture after the discovery of chivalry. Any unit stationed in keep and Bailey receives 25 HP, and +50% defense bonus(like a fort),and increases the yields of the tile by 1 gold and 1 culture.

Hope i helped.

Ahh a few posts ago he said he will most likely drop Scotland due to being made/planned by More Civs.

Well, the Union forces had a Home Guard too, and if someone's playing a game with Typhlo's Dad's Army mod, then there could be conflict. =]

The UU of dad's army is actually home guard infantry

Ah, d'accord. Been a while since I looked. However, that still doesn't change the fact that the Union side had a Home Guard setup as well. =]

More Civs' Scotland has been released! Not only is it extremely high-quality, but it has almost all the attributes I was planning to include in my potential Scotland civ; even down to the Peace and War themes. And even before seeing what JFD's cooked up for his more unionist civ, I think it's safe to declare my Scotland cancelled before it even began. Gone the way of the poor Azande. But, not only did Scotland get the representation it deserved in the end, but this opens up the ability to start planning the next civs.

Let us discuss Kurdistan. Kurdistan has a lot of planning to be done before work can even begin, and I intend to actually get the planning DONE this time. One thing to discuss is a leader: while many have suggested Saladin, I want compatibility with More Civs' Ayyubids, which already has Saladin as a leader. So, perhaps a more modern leader of Kurdish rebellions would be fitting. I'm not too up-to-date on Kurdish heroes, but a quick session of Wikipedia-hopping has brought me a few potential candidates. Mustafa Barzani was among the most prominent Kurdish leaders in modern history, fighting against both Iraq and Iran to establish an independent Kurdish state his whole life. And going a bit further back, Ihsan Nuri was the Kurdish Generalissimo of the Ararat Rebellion. I'm thinking Barzani might be a good working leader, assuming nobody has any objections or better suggestions along the line. And, let's also discuss a potential icon. The Kurdish Sun is an obvious choice, but is it too generic? If so, perhaps the Coat of Arms of Iraqi Kurdistan could be made into a fitting icon. Maybe the more stylized sun within that coat of arms could work? Anyway, we'd also need a color scheme, and I have no idea where to start with that...

And while I'm certain one of the unique attributes is going to be a Peshmerga infantry replacement, I don't know about the UA and the other Unique. An earlier, classical-medieval UU? A unique spin on the Citadel of Arbil, either as a UB or UI? Let's get a discussion going, here.

Wow, those are pretty much spot-on what I've been thinking of for a potential Kurdistan civ. For the logo, what about the symbol that the bird is holding in the Coat of Arms? It's distinctive and representative. Along those lines, I think a red and green color scheme would be best. Barzani as a working leader sounds good to me too.

As for the second unique, I like the Citadel of Arbil idea. As it was a city originally and is in one now, I think it should be a building rather than an improvement. I would recommend it as a Walls replacement that grants a variety of small bonuses. In particular, I would suggest +1 :c5faith: faith, +1 :c5culture: culture, and +2 :c5production: production.

As for the UA, I think it should be military in nature, and with a particular focus on hills and/or mountains. Perhaps a homeland bonus weaved in with that as well?

I personally think a green field with a dark-gold sun of the type the bird in the picture's holding would be perfect, though green and red would work too. As for Kurdish uniques, well...

Kurdistan (Mustafa Barzani)
Start Bias: Hill
UA: No Friends But The Mountains
Terrain Bonuses on Hill Tiles are doubled. Gain +1 :c5culture: Culture in the :c5capital: Capital for every three Mountain tiles within your borders.
UU: Carduchoi (replaces Archer)
Standard Archer statline. Double :c5moves: Movement on Hill Tiles. Additionally, gains a unique promotion, "Corduene Slingers", which grants them a 50% :c5rangedstrength: Combat Bonus if they are on a Hill and their target is not.
UB: Erbil Citadel (replaces Walls)
+5 :c5strength: City Defensiveness, +50 Health. +1 :c5food: Food and :c5production: Production per Mountain in workable range; bonuses doubled if the City is founded on a Hill. +1 :c5strength: Defensiveness per Mountain in your borders.
---
Now for some explanations. Kurdistan's a lot older than people think, going back to when it was called Corduene. According to Xenophon, these chaps were called the Carduchoi were dire enemies of the Persians, but they weren't too fond of a bunch of severely lost and fighty Greek mercenaries showing up in their homelands either. Apparently, the week they spent shooting arrows and hurling rocks at the Ten Thousand was worse for the Greeks than the pitched battles with the Persians. Thus, you've got a UU that's great for picking off enemy units from a hilltop, which was sort of what they did to the angry Greeks. It also ties into the UA, which comes from an old saying that Kurds "have no friends but the mountains" (ta, Wikipedia). I changed the UB from Big Mac's idea a bit to make it fit a little more with this design's emphasis on mountainous terrain, and yes, Lake Victoria and the Great Barrier Reef still count. It's why I went for food and hammers; it's meant to encourage settling near mountains and getting your cities to a decent size with less decent tiles to actually work, and two food and two hammers (if you're on a hill, which you probably will be) seems like a fair yield for a tile that's otherwise worthless. It also means you can get Observatories a lot easier, which on Deity and up is vital. Oh, and while I'm at it...
---
City List: (Again, thanks Wikipedia)
:c5capital: Hewler
Silemani
Dihok
Kerkuk
Amed
Kirmasan
Batman (Okay, it's not the Kurdish name, but come on, it's the city of BATMAN. I can't NOT put it in! [=)
Riha
Wan
Piranshahr
Eleziz
Zaxo
Senne
Kelar
Samsur
Hesice
Qamislo
Bokan
Mehabad
Qoser
Sert
Seqiz
Ranye
Sewreg
Helebce
Qerekose
Cizir
Rewandiz
Semel
---
Barzarney The Dinosaur DoM said:
Long may your days of freedom be, Mullah Mustafa Barzani, for none deserves it more than a Kurd! Others have sought to imprison you since you were five years old, as insurrection after bloody insurrection rocked your home and made your people into the enemies of great powers and mighty empires, all in the pursuit of freedom and nationhood. With Barzinji you stood against the British Mandate of Iraq, and were beaten back. With Qazi Muhammad you stood for the Republic of Mahabad, only to be betrayed by the Soviets. Who now shall stand with you, great leader? With whom shall you fight?

For the Kurds will rise and rise and keep on rising, rising to sovereignty, rising to prosperity, rising to freedom from persecution and oppression by every nation that gets the chance. Who shall you lead against your enemy, Mullah with a thousand enemies? Can you build a true Kurdistan with them? Can that Kurdistan, that Civilization, stand the test of time?
---
Music suggestions welcome. =]

I wish I had photoshop at work so I could make the icon.

General consensus is a green field with either a red or gold icon. Shading and colour choices are p. much up to you. =]

Oooh, that's nice, is that. Colour me a fan! =]

But yeah, what do people think of the uniques, DoM, &c?

Top Bottom