ryanjames' mods-Civilisations, small and large

Thanks for the resource, it is very useful!

I'm thinking of going with the Scythed chariot and one of those spear units like the Leukaspidai (Thorakitai would be a good option, but that's the UU of Hiram's Seleucid empire).

For the UA I was thinking of something to reflect how Pontus attempted to unite the Hellenic world against Rome along with its general diplomatic moves like marrying off daughters to powerful kingdoms etc.

So, the UA could be structured as follows

UA:"Defender of Hellenism" City state allies confer some combat advantage to your units during wartime (like a combat bonus multiplier per ally) AND some bonus that helps maintain and gain city state influence via conquest and/or killing enemy units.

I'm thinking of going with the Scythed chariot and one of those spear units like the Leukaspidai (Thorakitai would be a good option, but that's the UU of Hiram's Seleucid empire).

For the UA I was thinking of something to reflect how Pontus attempted to unite the Hellenic world against Rome along with its general diplomatic moves like marrying off daughters to powerful kingdoms etc.

UA:"Defender of Hellenism" City state allies confer some combat advantage to your units during wartime (like a combat bonus multiplier per ally) AND some bonus that helps maintain and gain city state influence via conquest and/or killing enemy units.

Yeah I like that a lot! I feel like the Chariot should be like the African Forest Elephant with the fear promotion.

Actually you can do something like 1 UU is from the 1st/2nd war (In this case, the chariot) and the other UU for the 3rd War.

Quick question about the Guanches. I'm playing a game as them right now, and the UA mechanic is working perfectly. I have noticed, however, that all the resources that have spawned due to the UA so far have only spawned on bare hills, not ones with forest or jungle on them. Is that just a coincidence, or does the UA only affect bare hills?

I love these ideas!

how about:

UA: Defender of Hellenism
When at war, city-state allies give a +5% combat boost to all units (needs a cap). Capturing a city gives influence to nearby city-states, which is doubled if the captured city was a city-state.

Quick question about the Guanches. I'm playing a game as them right now, and the UA mechanic is working perfectly. I have noticed, however, that all the resources that have spawned due to the UA so far have only spawned on bare hills, not ones with forest or jungle on them. Is that just a coincidence, or does the UA only affect bare hills?

Pretty certain I've seen the resource spawn in jungle so it is likely a coincidence.

That sounds like a good idea Niaowmeow, more or less what I'm going for, though I'm thinking the influence boost should be restricted to city states you are already allied with and only activates once per city, along with other balance.

For the uniques, I'm thinking:

UU1: Scythed war chariot, melee replacement for chariot archers. Ignores ZOC and inflicts a small amount of damage to enemy units it passes adjacent to. Extra combat strength.

UU2: Leukaspidai, Early pikeman replacement, formed the backbone of the pontic army, not sure what abilities it would have though.

Also, new map

Spoiler :

Right, so, the rough design

UA-Defender of Hellenism

Combat strength of units increases per city state ally (or maybe just against cities). Gain+10 influence with all city state allies when capturing a city for the first time, extra for liberating it.

UU-Scythed War Chariot

Melee chariot replacement, extra CS, ignores ZOC and inflicts damage to adjacent enemy units.

UU-Chalkaspidai

Much more expensive than Pikemen but available earlier. Friendly units adjacent to the Chalkaspidai gain a small combat boost and a movement point next turn.

Right, so, the rough design

UA-Defender of Hellenism

Combat strength of units increases per city state ally (or maybe just against cities). Gain+10 influence with all city state allies when capturing a city for the first time, extra for liberating it.

UU-Scythed War Chariot

Melee chariot replacement, extra CS, ignores ZOC and inflicts damage to adjacent enemy units.

UU-Chalkaspidai

Much more expensive than Pikemen but available earlier. Friendly units adjacent to the Chalkaspidai gain a small combat boost and a movement point next turn.

You might want to add something that helps gaining allies, but otherwise I really like the design.

I love the War Chariot because a lot of times chariots become useless really quickly.

The issue however is making sure the Chariot doesn't become redundant alongside the Horseman.

Maybe you just gain extra influence with City States upon capturing a city, regardless of status?

Something that helps gain allies would likely make it overpowered, if anything the UA should serve as an incentive for players to focus on city states early on, why let the UA do all the work :p

Chariot will have extra CS, and along with its abilities it probably won't go redundant.

Here's the leaderscreen I made for Pontus:

Spoiler :

Ahh the awesome landscape of Cappadocia..I wish I could see the Fairy Chimneys again.

Just wanted to mention that there's a bunch of minor lua errors occurring with the Geatish civ. It's caused by the DJSH_GeatsUUHealth and DJSH_RGeatsExp functions firing with UnitPrekill. If you add a nil check to the iKiller variable, such that the functions will terminate if iKiller is nil, the functions will only fire when a unit is actually killed and not also when a unit is expended or upgraded.
LeeS made a really fantastic script for it, which I think he uses in his Rome mod. Otherwise I've used in both Burundi and in the Ainu code.

Really, non essential, just thought I should mention it.

Great mod btw :D.

Yeah, there's a bunch of problems with the Geatish code, more worryingly upgrading the UU sometimes causes it to clone itself, however Davey's computer is dead so we haven't been able to fix it.

Thanks btw

Here's the leaderscreen I made for Pontus:

Spoiler :

Looks true to his depictions, I have a question, was Cappadocia a part of Pontus?

Looks true to his depictions, I have a question, was Cappadocia a part of Pontus?

It was a contested region between Rome and Pontus. I believe Cappadocia was in the same situation as Armenia with Rome and Parthia. Both wanted control over it and kept installing puppet kings. One of the reasons for the Mithidratic Wars was because of Cappadocia.

Wonderful

I will try and get that fixed.

Wow, it's dusty here, here's a screenie of the Vainakh UI by BouncyMischa

Spoiler :

Top Bottom