Rome Led by Scipio Africanus

Best thing to do is go the dummy unit route.

The notification type "NOTIFICATION_GREAT_PERSON_ACTIVE_PLAYER" draws its icon from the portrait index of a specified unit. In this way, you can create a dummy unit with the icon that you want to display.

Code:
Players[Game.GetActivePlayer()]:AddNotification(NotificationTypes["NOTIFICATION_GREAT_PERSON_ACTIVE_PLAYER"], description, descriptionShort, plotX, plotY, unitID, -1, false)
Thankee, thankee. I'll look into that tomorrow or Friday, depending on how long my list of stuff I need to look at gets.

I just tried to play this mod, but I can't see the unit pane in the bottom left corner. Nor can I see the unit and city ribbons from EUI. I just recently downloaded the lastest update for EUI, so it may actually be a problem with that rather than Rome.

See Post #4 for a workaround. I'll look more deeply into the issue later but for now this works.

See Post #4 for a workaround. I'll look more deeply into the issue later but for now this works.

Woohoo! I can't wait to get home from work and try it again (after my Lydia game). Thanks for such a quick response!

Now that I think about it, wouldn't it just be easier just to put an underscore ("_") at the beginning of the Unit Panel folder name in the EUI folder?

Now that I think about it, wouldn't it just be easier just to put an underscore ("_") at the beginning of the Unit Panel folder name in the EUI folder?
Not sure. That might or might not work. If it does I'll update the work-around. Not sure how soon I can get a chance to check that.

Wow! you like the Early roman history too ? great! i've studied and prefer the period from the Roman kings to late republic. Am still looking for a computer game that does that period justice, Rome2 Total war was a big disappointment. Civ5 just doesn't have the realistic battles although it has far better strategic game depth than Rome2.

Your game looks the best of the CIV5 roman mods. keep up the good work. :goodjob:

I'm getting reasonably close to issuing an update to this mod. Major changes will be:
  1. nerf of nearly all the hard yield values for the abilities into percentages. So in the early game some of these abilities won't seem to have much effect. (20% of 0, for example, is still 0).
  2. Experience gained by Proconsuls for a single governorship have been reduced, so in general it will take longer for Proconsuls to 'level-up'. Using Proconsuls with the 'good' generalship abilities is unchanged, and they still get 1xp for every battlefield 'kill' they influence. Barbfarming for the Proconsul will have no effect.
  3. for the 'consolation-prize' promotions you could pick, these abilities now only give +1 Food, or +1 Hammer in a city instead of the +3, +5, etc., I was using.
  4. Proconsuls with the 'Pius' promotion will only add +1 Faith per turn. This will guarantee a decent pantheon, but will not springboard you to religious 'victory' if your 1st proconsul is born with this ability.
  5. Your 1st Proconsul will no longer be guaranteed to be good, nor better than any other you would get.
  6. The occurance of the 'bad' generalship abilities are increased while the occurance of the 'good' generalship abilities are reduced.
  7. The 1st free Proconsul on founding your capital will likely be reworked. I have not decided yet what I am going to do there. However, next point interplays with this:
  8. The civil spawning system will now require you have more than 4 cities for every Proconsul you currently have, however acquired, or else it will not spawn a 'peacefully-gained' Proconsul.
  9. You will be able to construct Citadels, but this will be the only way you will be able to get rid of a Proconsul.
  10. Scipio becomes his own civilization in competition with Augustus Caesar. This means I have to work through all the E&D, TSL, etc., issues, which may take an additional chunk of time.
  11. The Icon shown here (made by SnowyNix) will be Scipio's new Icon, and the color scheme of the civ will match.
  12. Scipio retains use of the Legion. Unless I can find an interesting unit animation for those done already for use with Rome. Such a unit would take the place of the Legion and have the same functionality.
  13. The total number of good, bad, indifferent abilities a single proconsul can have has been scaled down. There were cases where RNGoddess was spitting out Proconsuls with everything in the kitchen sink, and the very next Proconsul would be very much alike. This was not my design intention.

I'm getting reasonably close to issuing an update to this mod. Major changes will be:
  1. nerf of nearly all the hard yield values for the abilities into percentages. So in the early game some of these abilities won't seem to have much effect. (20% of 0, for example, is still 0).
  2. Experience gained by Proconsuls for a single governorship have been reduced, so in general it will take longer for Proconsuls to 'level-up'. Using Proconsuls with the 'good' generalship abilities is unchanged, and they still get 1xp for every battlefield 'kill' they influence. Barbfarming for the Proconsul will have no effect.
  3. for the 'consolation-prize' promotions you could pick, these abilities now only give +1 Food, or +1 Hammer in a city instead of the +3, +5, etc., I was using.
  4. Proconsuls with the 'Pius' promotion will only add +1 Faith per turn. This will guarantee a decent pantheon, but will not springboard you to religious 'victory' if your 1st proconsul is born with this ability.
  5. Your 1st Proconsul will no longer be guaranteed to be good, nor better than any other you would get.
  6. The occurance of the 'bad' generalship abilities are increased while the occurance of the 'good' generalship abilities are reduced.
  7. The 1st free Proconsul on founding your capital will likely be reworked. I have not decided yet what I am going to do there. However, next point interplays with this:
  8. The civil spawning system will now require you have more than 4 cities for every Proconsul you currently have, however acquired, or else it will not spawn a 'peacefully-gained' Proconsul.
  9. You will be able to construct Citadels, but this will be the only way you will be able to get rid of a Proconsul.
  10. Scipio becomes his own civilization in competition with Augustus Caesar. This means I have to work through all the E&D, TSL, etc., issues, which may take an additional chunk of time.
  11. The Icon shown here (made by SnowyNix) will be Scipio's new Icon, and the color scheme of the civ will match.
  12. Scipio retains use of the Legion. Unless I can find an interesting unit animation for those done already for use with Rome. Such a unit would take the place of the Legion and have the same functionality.
  13. The total number of good, bad, indifferent abilities a single proconsul can have has been scaled down. There were cases where RNGoddess was spitting out Proconsuls with everything in the kitchen sink, and the very next Proconsul would be very much alike. This was not my design intention.

Have you ever thought of making a heavily modified AI Friendly version in the future?

I'm getting reasonably close to issuing an update to this mod.
Having tested Scipio after reading about him in Anno Domini thread i have to say an update is much required as currently he's a bit ... super-uber-mega-giga-overpowered :crazyeye:
I like the idea thought and he's kind of fun (even in his current state but trully he makes Deity feel like Prince)
Now for the specifics you are planning
nerf of nearly all the hard yield values for the abilities into percentages. So in the early game some of these abilities won't seem to have much effect. (20% of 0, for example, is still 0).
Good call. One of my first thought was that flat and % yields shouldn't be grouped. Too much of an early and late game benefit. No strategic choice.
Experience gained by Proconsuls for a single governorship have been reduced
Careful here. If you get the proconsul abilities well balanced, there won't be much requirement to slow them down much. After the first 2-3 levels they tend to slow down anyway (i guess they require the same amount of XP as regular units). You probably still want them to reach an L3 ability before the game ends. I guess it depends on governorship length. How long does one governorship last anyway?
for the 'consolation-prize' promotions you could pick, these abilities now only give +1 Food, or +1 Hammer in a city instead of the +3, +5, etc., I was using.
Not sure i like this change. Those were the promotions you could choose. If they become crappy (sort of) then you'll be totally reliant on RNGesus and it's not a good thing.
Proconsuls with the 'Pius' promotion will only add +1 Faith per turn.
Well done. It's already nice to get the equivalent of the Celts UA (more or less) in addition to your own UA
Your 1st Proconsul will no longer be guaranteed to be good, nor better than any other you would get.
Again don't like this much. Adding more randomness won't make the proconsuls better balanced.
The 1st free Proconsul on founding your capital will likely be reworked. I have not decided yet what I am going to do there.
You could consider giving them when the player reaches some key tech like Babylon's free scientist. Removing free proconsul will make Pious kind of useless thought.
The civil spawning system will now require you have more than 4 cities for every Proconsul you currently have, however acquired, or else it will not spawn a 'peacefully-gained' Proconsul.
So you get one proconsul with 5 cities, 2 for 9 ... Seems like war will be the only way to get more than one then as self founding more than 8 cities is almost impossible in most cases.
You will be able to construct Citadels, but this will be the only way you will be able to get rid of a Proconsul.
Not bad, but this won't free a slot for a new 'peacefully-gained' Proconsul unless you got none from wars i guess. Well, if you go to war you'll probably have enough of them anyway.
Scipio retains use of the Legion. Unless I can find an interesting unit animation for those done already for use with Rome. Such a unit would take the place of the Legion and have the same functionality.
Why reinvent the wheel. The Legion isn't bad.
The total number of good, bad, indifferent abilities a single proconsul can have has been scaled down.
Again a good change but i think bad promotions (mostly bad general) shouldn't take a slot, maybe even free one for a civil slot.

Some additional thoughts :
  • Get rid of the Savant trait. It's just silly when you get one and totally random.
  • Administrator also seems way too good (even if it becomes only % it's still everything), especially with the Mansion and Residence buildings. Maybe administrator could have only 1 level and require another civil perk at L3
  • Good generals are too good. I would suggest 5% per level rather than 10. An L3 general would already be as good as a Chinese general and your proconsuls can have other uses.
If i was designing this civ, i would probably make more of the civil governor promotions be player selectable (i'll call those civil skills) with a choice between flat yield (for early boost) and % (for more late game power) but never both (as you decided for the next update). Civil perks could be gained randomly and be small, more creative bonuses (you have a nice selection already)
Proconsuls would randomly be good/neutral/bad generals (but not dreadfully bad as those will just sit in a city or be turned to citadels). Good generals won't receive a good civil perk (but they can choose a civil skill like any proconsul) but some of them could get a bad one and then receive a good military perk. Neutral generals would gain 1 good civil perk (or randomly a perk or free civil skill). Bad generals would get an additional good civil perk (but they would give -10% strength, basically only boosting unit power by a mere 5%, or even totally ignore GG boost).
This way you only have 1 good trait. If you have 2 good traits you have a bad one to compensate. Less randomness, more choices, that's the way i like a strategy game.

Do you need ideas for E&D?

Love the mod, pretty sure it's the most original civilization out there ( even though it's technically not an original civilization :p ).

Any chance you could give out a bit more information about how exactly proconsuls get xp points? Specifically how xp is granted to proconsuls governing cities. Is it just a N xp per M turns spent governing thing or are there events which cause the proconsuls to gain xp?

Love the mod, pretty sure it's the most original civilization out there ( even though it's technically not an original civilization :p ).

Any chance you could give out a bit more information about how exactly proconsuls get xp points? Specifically how xp is granted to proconsuls governing cities. Is it just a N xp per M turns spent governing thing or are there events which cause the proconsuls to gain xp?
I'm currently reworking the system as part of a redraft to make Scipio a bit less Babylon OP, so this will eventually change when I release the update, but:

XP from Governorships:
  1. when a Proconsul begins a governorship, they gain 5 xp
  2. thereafter, every 2 turns (modified by game speed) there is a 50% they will gain additional XP.
  3. If they gain additional xp on that turn, there is a 1-in-21 chance they gain 3 xp, a 1-in-7 chance they will gain 2 xp, otherwise they gain 1 xp.
XP from Combat Leadership (this will not change in the update):
  1. Only Proconsuls that are 'good' great generals will gain XP from Combat Leadership
  2. Every time a unit that starts its turn near a Proconsul kills an enemy unit, the nearby Proconsul gains 1 XP
  3. The determination of which of two possible Proconsuls should gain XP is made based on matching the Promotions the Proconsul has to those the Combat Unit recieved from starting its turn near a Proconsul.

Major overhaul of the mod released. Descriptions in Post #1, #2, and #3 updated to reflect the changes. But essential changes are 'reprinted' here from Post #1:

Basic Changes in V17 to the Earlier Release Version of the Mod:
  1. Scipio's Rome no longer replaces Augustus' Rome. It is its own Rome.
  2. Scipio can be used as an AI player though I haven't had a real chance to see how well he performs as an AI.
  3. Proconsul's gain XP much more slowly and they occur less frequently from the "civil" system when it is allowed to spawn Proconsuls.
    • I jacked up the increment value between spawnings via the civil system, so the 1st from the civil system will occur fairly quickly but then the occurance should drop off steeply
  4. The effect of the various character traits and talents have been nerfed to be generally percentage-based with small (+1, +2, +3) hard yield-amount values rather than crazy yield amounts like +9 Food when Proconsul gets 'promoted up' the "Farmer" ability levels.
  5. You can now get bad Proconsuls at any point in the game, including as the 1st one
  6. I have made Scipio's Rome able to Rush Complete a National or World Wonder when a Great Engineer is in or adjacent to a Scipio's Rome city. This is to allow the fundamental ability of the GE in a city being governed by a Proconsul. This is more in line with how other Non-Great-General Great People act.
  7. Not being able to purchase civilian units in a city governed by a Proconsul, and not being able to 'hide' other civilian units from marauding barbarians, etc., in a city governed by a Proconsul is a design decision and has been retained. It is part and parcel of the make choices concept of the mod.
  8. The 'administrator' line of Proconsuls has been severely nerfed.
    • The effects for an 'administrator' remaining in the same city over a period of time do not create the crazy effects they were before.
    • You get the possible free buildings from the administrator's inherent ability, either when you use the Proconsul to found a city or when he begins a governorship
    • If the administrator stays in the same city over an extended period of time there are additional much smaller positive effects than in the previous version of the mod
    • If the administrator stays in the same city for long enough a 'Governor's Mansion' is added to the city. This is the same mechanic as in the prevous version of the mod, but I nerfed the effects of this building. Once this Governor's Mansion is added to the city the affects that have been accruing to that city from the long-term residence of the same governor become permanent but no more additional affects are added in that city.
    • The hidden extra affects from having an administrator in the same city over a long period of time have been severely nerfed and they are added far less frequently
    • Adminsitrator Proconsuls are still King of the City-Governors, they are just not as crazy OP as before.
  9. Proconsuls governing cities gain XP much more slowly than in the previous released version of the mod
  10. City Names are the same as the Augustus list except I changed the name of Scipio's Capital to Roma Eterna instead of "Rome" because the game abhors more than one city on the map with the same name. Scipio's Rome and Augustus' Rome will otherwise share and draw from the same city-name list, but this should not be too much of a problem given that Augustus' Rome has a pretty crazy long list of names.
  11. See Post #3 on how the mod's behavior can be configured for certain basic systems of the mod.

I've updated the CFC download to a V18. Only changes are a few more settings are exposed to the User Configuration system.

Unless someone bugreports something I have missed I don't intend any further changes to the mod.

Steam still has the previous V17, which I will update tomorrow. [edit] Steam version now updated to V18.

Lee, I've updated to V18 and integrated it into Anno Domini, but have come across an issue. Whenever I build a city with the Proconsul, the unit on the tile is deleted and I can select what to build, as usual, and play out the rest of the turn. Once I click on "next turn" it crashes. I've had five attempts, all with the same result. All I've changed is the cost/strength of the UU and a couple of icons.

Incidentally, I noticed that the art define tag for Scipio's leaderhead is:
Code:
<ArtDefineTag>Augustus_Scene.xml</ArtDefineTag>

However, the corresponding XML is actually "LeaderFallBackScene.xml" - without this it won't show the diplomacy image to other players.

I've attached my logs, of course!

Attachments

• Logs.rar
    46.1 KB · Views: 141
Lee, I've updated to V18 and integrated it into Anno Domini, but have come across an issue. Whenever I build a city with the Proconsul, the unit on the tile is deleted and I can select what to build, as usual, and play out the rest of the turn. Once I click on "next turn" it crashes. I've had five attempts, all with the same result. All I've changed is the cost/strength of the UU and a couple of icons.

Incidentally, I noticed that the art define tag for Scipio's leaderhead is:
Code:
<ArtDefineTag>Augustus_Scene.xml</ArtDefineTag>

However, the corresponding XML is actually "LeaderFallBackScene.xml" - without this it won't show the diplomacy image to other players.

I've attached my logs, of course!
Fixed the leaderscene oops. Will put out an update this weekend. I cannot replicate the issue with not being able to turn progress without getting CTD. What do you mean by
All I've changed is the cost/strength of the UU
Also I've never tested Scipio with CP or any of the fifteen JFDLC so there might be compatibility issues with CiD, for example. Looking at your lua log, it appears to be failing during the Barbarian turn or when processing returns to Scipio.

Top Bottom