The Pangean Wars II: Fall From Grace

Chapter 1, Funeral

The funeral procession moved slowly down the fridged streets of Paris. Onlookers streched for miles, even though a stiff wind from the north had blown in. The royal insignia was raised in front of the caisson to signify the death of a king. Emperor Daniele XX had passed away the previous day, January 30, 1813. The grandson of Napoleon was 65 when he died, an average age for a Frenchman.

After the burial, this solider selected for caisson duty was discharged and given a pension as per custom

His heir, the new Louis XIV rode behind the caisson in his sleek black carraige. Young Louis was born on January 3, 1789, and was the 6th child and first son of Daniele Bonaparte. Of all the kings of France, Louis XIV looked like he was to be the showiest one. A flamboyant child, he loved fine and expensive things. However, he was an adept commander and many thought he would make an excellent king.

Louis's predicessors Jean-Paul and Daniele ruled from 1766-1813 collectively, and were known as the refom kings. Many people welcomed these reforms, as they streamlined government and cut taxes.

Not all people welcomed this change, however. Even as the deceased monarch was being buried, a few hundred miles to the north, trouble was brewing in New York City. A group was organizing the would one day become the most infamous club in the world. NOFEC. Or, National Order for Formerly Elite Citizens.

The first meeting of NOFEC, held in NYC, was a small affair

In order of appearence:

1. Earl Richard Frost (far left)
2. Duke Peter Romanov (2nd from left)
3. Countess Marie Helasie (3rd from left)
4. Countess Josephine l'Oriex (4th from left)
5. Viscount Edgar Baldwin (4th from right)
6. Earl Francois Goulembete (3rd from right)
7. Viscount Phillipe d'Ollieax (2nd from right)
8. Count Gregory Sherburne (Far right)

Atten-hut! Add coment! Stand at ease!

Great work.

Chapter 2, Act of '06

Although known as a great reform king, Daniele had a few that were quite controversial. Perhaps the the most prevalent of these was the Thibeaut-Piex Act of 1806. The act was written up to pacify the ever-powerful communists. After a heated debate, it passed parliament by a vote of 249-211. Stipulated in the act were several punches against the nobility.

The parliament bulding, built in 1689 but converted to parliament in 1748, dominated the East Side of Paris with its massive dome.

First, they were stripped of all but 3 acres of their land. Second, their vassals and serfs were set free. Third, the right of taxation and tithing was taken away. Fourth, it stipulated a 48% inheritance tax against the former nobility for the next 50 years. Fifth and finally, it revoked their titles.

Natrually, this caused rankles to flow through society, and no less than 16 rebellion attampts were put down between 1806 and 1811. By 1813, however, many people thought the issue was at rest. How very wrong they were to be proven in so short a time.

Chapter 3, Romanov

At the first meeting of NOFEC, only a handful of Men and women were present, mostly earls and viscounts from the local area. However, one young man who did attend brought wealth and star-power to the whole affair. Although only 26 at the time, Duke Peter Romanov was perhaps the wealthiest man oin what was formerly America. Being a direct desendent of Rodislav IV, the last Tsar of Russia, he carried a bloodline bluer than the French kings.

An engraving of Peter Romanov done in 1812. The stress of failure has caused his hairline to recede even at this early age.

Born in 1786, Peter spent the first years of his life at his father's magnificent baronial estate south of Boston called Маленькие Рыбы, or Little Fish. It was called little fish for the stream that flowed through the gardens behind the house which was always full of many different kinds of fish.

A painting done of Little Fish in 1780. The gardens are hidden from view.

In 1798, Peter was sent to the Paris Millitary academy at the age of 12. He excelled in his class and was set to graduate with top honors when he was expelled in 1801. What exactly happened, no one knows, but the rumor was that he had struck his history proffessor when the teacher called Rodislav IV a 'dirty pig.'

Returning home in disgrace, he was quietly enrolled in the small college in the village of Yale, where he graduated in 1805. a mere week after graduation, his father died and Peter was declared the 89th Duke of Hyannisport. More hardship struck in 1806 when Thibeau-Piex went into effect, making his income fall to nothing and robbed him of many things including his honor.

After a failed rebellion attempt in 1809, for which he narrowly escaped the death penalty, he retired in indignation to Little Fish and the 3 acres left to him. Things changed when he got a call from the former Viscount of Oxford, Phillipe d'Ollieax asking him to attend a metting in late January for his new club called NOFEC. Although initially reluctant, Peter was cajoled into going. It would be perhaps the most valuable meetng he ever attended.

In the picture in Chapter 1, he is sitting on the floor, second from the left.

Sounds like trouble to me! Keep it up...this is worth reading! :D:D:D

Chapter 4, Speech

Louis sat with back erect against the solid oak and gold-leaf throne. His stern expression betrayed the ecstacy he was feeling. With the final latin phrase words, "In deus vult, rex Louvum quattordecum Bonapartum," a crown was placed upon his head. He was now officially the king. Citizens cheered as they watched him walk to the balcony in Trefoneive. The same balcony that Kings have been speaking off of for hundreds of years, most notably Napoleon XI himself. As Louis gazed to the heavens, the sun broke through the February 1st sky. After surveying the crowd of more than a million gathered below, he began to speak.

The crowds in front of Trefoneive. Only a fraction are shown in this picture.

"My dear nation, never in the course of history has a society ever achieved what we have here. A functioning democracy, a worthy king, and peace which has lasted 47 years. Our technology is better now than we could have ever possibly hoped to achieve, even 15 years ago.

But today, I come before you not to gloat of our sucesses, but to outline my five promises to the nation. One, I will allow more openness in the monarchy as in I will always be open to consul by my people not fortunate enough to be elected into parliament. Two, I wll cut inflation to 2% from 8%. Three, I will force parliament to give more university grants to all who ask for them. Fourth, I will cut buerocracy's red tape on farming and small business loans. Fifth, I will until my dying day uphold th Thiebeau-Piex act of 1806."

The reaction to the last promise was mixed at best. about half liked the act, and the other half saw it as a disgusting appeasment to the communists. Those who took it worst were the former nobles.

Chapter 5, Agreement

The first NOFEC meeting was held in the kitchen of Phillippe d'Ollieax's house in central NYC. Sometime after 6 PM, January 31, the guests began arriving. Peter was the last in as a sudden snow squall hit north of the city, delaying his arrival for several minutes.

A slightly younger Peter Romanov. This painting was done in 1805 before the hardships hit.

Finally the meeting commenced at 6:37 PM, Parisian Standard Time (PST). A roll call was taken and on it were the following (and their appearence in the chapter one picture from left to right.)

1. Earl Richard Frost (far left)
2. Duke Peter Romanov (2nd from left)
3. Countess Marie Helasie (3rd from left)
4. Countess Josephine l'Oriex (4th from left)
5. Viscount Edgar Baldwin (4th from right)
6. Earl Francois Goulembete (3rd from right)
7. Viscount Phillipe d'Ollieax (2nd from right)
8. Count Gregory Sherburne (Far right)

Before any work was done, the group elected Peter their leader, as he was the highest ranking noble and he had more military expierence. As per custom of the day, an agreement was drawn between the members at the beginning.

NOFEC agreement:

To whom it may concern, NOFEC is founded on the principle that all are to be given due process, and that nothing may be taken away withourt proper justification. Never has this last of the critical values stated above been stressed so much as today in these trying times. It is without fear that we drive hither and tither to proclaim our rights to all over the world. With the grace of history guiding our pens, we doth sign our ink as if it were our own blood, binding our common cause:

With the participants signed and agreeded upon the document, more pertinent subjects were brought up. After several hours, a plan was developed that would involve 6 steps:

1.Recruit- New members, even non-nobility members, should be actively sought out.

2.Fund- Pool resources and save money, relatively straightforward.

3.Allocate- Bring weapons and technology to safe-houses where they can be stored in secret

4.Infiltrate- Recruit or place a mole in the parliament, the monarchy, and the army.

5.Arm- Hand out weapons and other such necessary items to recruits

6.Declare- The actual step of declaring in open rebellion.

The dscussion on these six subjects went on late into the night, and the members finally bid farewell at 7 AM February 1st. Peter returned to Boston just in time to see the speech made by Louis XIV, his new sworn enemy. Highly disturbed by the last proclaimation, he called the second NOFEC meeting to be held sooner than March. After many phone calls, it was determined that the next meeting would be held on February 10, 1813.

Definitely an enemy to watch! If I were :king:, I'd tell my spy master to watch the former titled people.;)

Keep up the excellent work!:cool::goodjob::goodjob::D

This is good. It's refreshing to read a story that doesn't have that much to do with civ

@WhiteEagle22-I agree with you, spymaster get out there!

@darklordchuckle-I totally agree, it's like a little breath of fresh air!

Chapter 6, New Recruits

As the dew disappeared on the morning of February 5, 1813, Peter Romanov set about actively recruting new members. He held a meeting at noon in the town community center, and 15 people attended. Of the fifteeen, all were nobles from the Boston and Hyannisport area. After much talking, the group decided to join the cause. Although 15 new recruits were valuable, Peter had someone in mind who would be invaluable if only he could be persuaded to join. His name was John Abelgard.

John Abelgard in a portrait done in 1811 for his 60th birthday.

Born January 2, 1751 amidst the height of the last world war, John Abelgard was brought up in opulence and splendor even while his fellow countrymn starved. His father, Gerald, was an extremely generous fellow and often gave food and clothing to the poor war-ravaged victims who showed up at his door. As such, there were many people loyal to the Abelgard name.

Peter visited the good Duke on his country estate north of Hyannisport and talked to him about what was being done. Initialy reluctant, citing his age of 62 and vulnerable health, Abelgard stubbornly refused to commit until Peter promised him a high position in the group's hierarchy.

After recieving his commitment, Peter returned to Little Fish and planned his agenda which he would bring up next meeting, which would occur in only five days time.

Chapter 7, Spy

Louis awoke on February 6, 1813 with a joyous jolt. Today was the first day he would preside over parliament. As he dressed in his best suit, he made his way to the building located on Paris's east side. It was the custom of the day that every monthly parliamentary session would be opened by the reigning monarch.

Louis stared up at the guilded ceilings of the magnificent chamber, he was tapped on the shoulder by his brother, who was also his spy master, Jacques. "Ah! Brother, what brings you to parliament on this cold snowy day?"
"Bussiness vital to the crown, Louis."
"Go on."
"We have reports of a group called NOFEC, and although just in its early stages, it poses a great threat to the empire."
"And what are they about?"
"NOFEC stands for National Order for Formerly Elite Citizens, there fore they are trying to get the Thibeau-Piex act of '06 repealed."
"Another one? I thought this roblem was dealt with already. No matter, place a mole in their organization, and things will be cleared up soon enough."
"Certainly my brother!"

With that, Jacques left the hall just as the trumpets blaired giving the signal for those gathered to sit down. Louis walked over to the lectern and began to speak.

"My dear parliament, it is the honor I have of introducing you into a new month of hearty debate and governing. Without a doubt, these hallowed halls have garnered the most famous of men. It is with this touch of honor that I officially declare this session of Parliament open."

As Louis left the lectern, the gathered men and women applauded their king. By the time Louis had arrived at his coach, Jacques had alrady found a mole that could be placed in the society. He goes by many names, and he is known to the French intellegence agency as 007. To the society, however, he will be known as Earl Bond, James Bond.

'Earl' James Bond in an embossed study by artist Gustave Eiffel

Smart way to place James Bond into the story, mate! Keep it rolling!

Top Bottom