Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

This fits best here I think.

Is that iron hooked up (it's on a small island) or do I need a fort for it?

You can build a Fort on the tile east of it and road it too, better than forting the Iron, so yes, you either need a road-connection to a city or a Fort to get that resource.

This fits best here I think.

Is that iron hooked up (it's on a small island) or do I need a fort for it?

You need a fort on the island.

You can build a Fort on the tile east of it and road it too, better than forting the Iron, so yes, you either need a road-connection to a city or a Fort to get that resource.

You need a fort on the island.

Thanks guys, I need a fort there then, and good to know I don't need it on the iron itself, as it's obviously better as a normal improvement.

Moved to another thread.

Same deal here then, I need a fort to hook up the copper?

I don't see "Make a tunnel" or "Nuke the mountain" as worker options :(

There are so many suicidal (automated) workers, you'd think one could strap on a belt of explosives and get to 'work' :mischief:

Same deal here then, I need a fort to hook up the copper?

I don't see "Make a tunnel" or "Nuke the mountain" as worker options :(

There are so many suicidal (automated) workers, you'd think one could strap on a belt of explosives and get to 'work' :mischief:

Yes, you need a fort there too.

Situation like that I'd be tempted to WB a road on the peak :rolleyes:

Situation like that I'd be tempted to WB a road on the peak :rolleyes:

Even if that was possible (with BUFFY), I doubt the HoF staff would look upon such acts too kindly :lol:

Wish the workers could swim too, the lazy buggars.

Looking at the size of the beasts, they could just walk across the sea floor.

I used to play Civ II ages ago and now I've forgotten everything about this game!

Is it advisable to build a new city on a tile that has a special resource? (horse, corn, deer)

Will I lose the benefits of mining, hunting or farming that resource?

You seem to still have a great grasp of the basics greenbelt

If you Settle a city on the resource you do indeed lose the additional benefits of building A Mine, Pasture, Farm, Plantation or Hunting Camp etc. on top of the resource.
Settling on certain resources can still give you some resource bonus typically settling metals on plains hills although there are others (there is an excellent guide with pictures in the guides section.

But as in most things in Civ it is a choice between one thing and another.

The benefits of settling your city on the resource are
  • Automatically hooking up the resource you have the technology to use (so if you have Animal husbandry and settle a Horses you can immediately build Chariots and cavalry units at your new city{and any city connected to it})
  • Saves the worker turns to build a worker at (or move a worker to) the new city and the worker turns to build the improvement.
  • Your resource can't be plundered by units or sabotaged by a spy (a lot of people Settle on an Oil or uranium Resource to protect their power supply)
  • It may let you position your city so its BigFatCross includes more/other resources or better land eg. more grasslands or less mountains.
  • Denial of a strategic resource to rival civilizations
  • The various benefits of having the resource earlier, immediate diplomatic trading of the resource, health\Happiness bonuses to city\empire. It is usualy more advantageous to have anything earlier in a typical civ game.
You don't say what version of Civ you are playing I am using vanilla so all the above applies.

If you are playing Beyond The Sword expansion Forts have been upgraded considerably giving you a third option. In the posts above they demonstrate one of the new uses of them and allude to another which I will expand upon

A fort acts as the appropriate improvement without giving the hammer or food bonuses.
So if you build a fort on Bananas and have Calendar technology it counts as a Plantation as soon as you connect it with roads or a river (coast line with Sailing, off shore island/continent with Astronomy)
You can build a fort anywhere in your cultural borders.
If the fort ends up within your city's BFC you can order your workers to build a plantation over the fort so the bananas are available as soon as the fort is built and nicely protected from your foes then once the area becomes more peacefull you build the plantation and get the additional +2 food while maintaining a constant supply of bananas

thanks Testhero for the quick reply! I just got Civ4 from Steam. Last year I bought SimCity4 from steam even though I've had the Mac and PC versions on CD for a decade. Getting tired of Farmville LOL! Was also considering getting Banished by Shining Rock.

I think I just have to get used to the new interface. Knowing where all my troops are, etc. etc.

What happens when the AP resident is eliminated from the game? Is there a "snap" election to determine a new one? Is there no resident until the next meeting (which then becomes an election, even if not regularly scheduled) or is there no resident until the next regularly scheduled election?

No--not razing the city with the AP. keeping that city and conquering all other cities of the AP resident before the next scheduled election.

Sry, I overlooked the word resident.

I think when the resident is eliminated, the next vote will offer new candidates for the resident. I don't think that AP-vote-cycles change, so no instant-election.

Was also considering getting Banished by Shining Rock.

I have played Banished a great deal and it's a lot of fun. Would be a good purchase I think. It has more depth than one may think.

Wouldn't buy it on steam, but that's because I'm one of those strange knobs that still care about privacy.

QUESTION 1: I have a grassland square with pigs. Do I need to improve this square with a Pasture or a Camp? I get different information from 1. the game, 2. in game Civilopedia, and 3. the PDF Manual. Which is correct? I play the vanilla version of Civ4 that I bought from Steam.

Hovering over this square in the game I see
Grassland, 3 food
pig, +1 health, Research: Animal Husbandry

Civilopedia says on the pig page under resources
pig +1 food
pasture +3 food, effects +1 health

the PDF Manual for Civ4 says
Tech Revealed By: Always Visible
Tech Required to Access: Animal Husbandry
Improvement Required: Camp
Base Bonus: +1 Food, 0 Production, 0 Commerce
Improved Bonus: +3 Food, 0 Production, 0 Commerce
Additional Effects: +1 Health with Pasture

QUESTION 2: Do I need to build a road on this square? It is inside my fat cross --> 1 square above the city square.

Thanks again in advance.

You need to build a pasture, I think it's not even possible to build a camp on a pasture-resource and the other way around.

And you need to build a road, if you want to have the global bonus of the resource, so in this case, the +1 :health: .

Top Bottom