JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

Ok, I'm looking at the Republic of Venice and I'm curious to what the glass resource is? Is that just a new luxury resource added for that particular mod? I purchased Gods and Kings recently and haven't come across a new resource by that name.

Hey there JFD, just wanted to give you a belated thanks for the Venetian civ. Have used it for a while now, but I'm sure you won't be too disappointed that I'm not going to be using it much longer.

I am in the process of gathering comments and ideas from here and the Steam Workshop on how to upgrade my civs in preparation for Brave New World. As long ago pointed out, some of the existing abilities are OP, - such as the Goths - restrictive - Germany - or could at least be more appropriate - such as the USSR. I will update Venice and Portugal as well with the new graphics from Brave New World, in case anyone wants to still use their attributes.

If anyone has any suggestions, now is the time to let me know. Thanks.

I absolutlely love your Maori civ. However they don't have a leaderhead artwork. Do you have plans to make one?

Hello JFD,

I still have to study before my absolutely final exam, but because it will be pretty easy, I can catch up with Civ art I was postponing for such a long time. I don't come empty-handed, here's new art for your UK mod.

Spoiler :

I do hope you like those. I'm not sure when I'll send you updated art for the Papal States, but I'm going to dedicate quite some time for mod art in the following days.

good lord those look nice!

May I ask what city list you used for Norway?

I also do have some juicy constructive criticism for you when it comes to UU. But first, I have to ask, why did you choose the Nordland as UU? What's the pedia entry for it? It does confuse me quite a lot...

The city list is just taken from the Wikipedia list of Norway's largest cities, except for that I switched Bergen and Oslo, as Bergen was the capital during Haakon's time. I can always switching back.

I chose the Nordland because a Unique Workboat is certainly unique and because I wanted Norway to endeavour to have a strong, coastal economy. The pedia entry is just a paraphrased version of the Wikipedia entry. The use of the Nordland is mostly nominative. But if you have any ideas I'd like to hear them.

While I do guess I see our point in the Capital thingy, here's an optimized city-list more in ine with the traditional Civ 5 style city lists, and based on historcal Importance with the exception of the capital, which in a historical importance sense should be placed third, but since it's the capital, should be nr. 1
Spoiler :
Oslo
Trondheim
Bergen
Eidsvoll
Tromsø
Stavanger
Tønsberg
Lillehammer
Narvik
Røros
Sarpsborg
Ålesund
Bodø
Kristiansand
Avaldsnes
Elverum
Vardø
Molde
Grip
Sandsnes
Rjukan
Drammen
Skien
Namsos
Hamar
Kongsberg
Halden
Arendal
Egersund
Nordkapp
Alta
Levanger
Kautokeino
Karasjok

I created this for a Norway civ I still haven't finished for Civ 4, and I advice the use of it, as it represents the whole country region as well as the history of the country. Especially Eidsvoll, who can't really be called a city in any real sense, is important (kind of like Hastings to the English, not large, but hugely important).

For UU, I see your point, but I still think Birkebeiner is a better choice. This is why (my pedia entry for it):
Spoiler :
The Birkebein Party or Birkebeinar was the name for a rebellious party in Norway, formed in 1174 around the pretender to the Norwegian throne, Eystein Meyla. The name has its origins in propaganda from the established party that the rebels were so poor that they made their shoes of birch bark. Although originally a pejorative, the opposition adopted the Birkebeiner name for themselves, and continued using it after they came to power in 1184.
Around the year 1200, the rival groups of Baglar and Birkebeinar shared the identical but opposite goal of controlling the entire country. In 1202, when King Sverre died, he had managed to acquire most of Norway, but in Østerdalen, the Baglers were still very powerful. Sverre's death meant some decrease in power of Birkebeins. His successor, King Haakon Sverresson, died only two years later, leaving his son Haakon Haakonsson as the ultimate target for the Baglers to get rid of the pretender to the throne. In 1206, the Birkebeiners set off on a dangerous voyage through treacherous mountains and forests, taking the now two-year-old Haakon Haakonsson to safety in Trondheim. Norwegian history credits the Birkebeiners' bravery with preserving the life of the boy who later became King Haakon Haakonsson IV, ended the civil wars in 1240 and forever changed Northern Europe's history through his reign.
Today, the historic event of the rescue of Haakon Haakonsson is honoured in Norway by three annual sporting events, a run, Birkebeinerløpet; a mountain bike race, Birkebeinerrittet; a cross-country ski race, Birkebeinerrennet and - beginning 2012 - Landeveisbirken, a road bicycle race. Common for the bike and ski events is the requirement of carrying a backpack weighing 3.5 kg as a remembrance of the child the Birkebeiners had to carry on their journey. The bike and ski events start in Rena and all three events finish at Lillehammer.

That's all for now :)

Edit: Also, a better name for the UA would be The Northward Route. You can trust that one. It's basically what every Norwegian learns in school.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll implement your city list for sure and change the UA name as well. I was struggling to find an appropriate one.

In regards to the UU, I do see why that might be better, but I have to bear in mind that there are no unit graphics for them and that I want the civ to work toward a designed flavour - which, in this regard, is toward being the best civ at making the most out of sea resources. To an outsider such as I, this is representative of Norway and it also suits my personal playstyle.

That said, I'm going to have it as an alternative to the Ski Infantry.

Another suggestion though... instead of Nordland... how about renaming it to Knarr? It would fit your purpose for the UU and give a nice Viking flavour to it :)

I didn't know you had a Norway and Hungary mod. They look good, but on the description for Vanillia Norway, you have the uniques from Hungary instead.

Looking forward to seeing these for BNW, I maintain the opinion that your Venetian civ was one of the best I've seen; beating even the official verson in my eyes. Will you be including UK & Italy in the update?

Looking forward to seeing these for BNW, I maintain the opinion that your Venetian civ was one of the best I've seen; beating even the official verson in my eyes. Will you be including UK & Italy in the update?

Of course. And the UK will finally be polished, too.

Top Bottom