Uighur_Caesar's Civilizations

I like Caroline Class suggestion, I'll definitely change the name now. I agree that shipyard sounds generic but I wouldn't want to call it Harland and Wolff Shipyard for any copyright problems that could arise. I originally thought about including a religious aspect but I decided against it because I don't think religion has been a positive thing in NI. Protestants were brought there by Cromwell after he massacred Catholics and stole their land and the religious differences have caused all sorts of problems in NI, specifically The Troubles.

Aye, I can understand your reasoning for those decisions, and believe me, as someone who grew up in Northern Ireland I'm all too aware of The Troubles and the impact it has had on life there. I do think the fact that something is controversial should exclude it from representation however though that's neither here nor there, as I can see why you would want to steer clear of such topics.

In regards to Wales I do agree that the way you have decided to focus on Great Writers is interesting enough, as you said it just needs balancing. What would you be giving England as a replacement unique, seeing that the Longbow fits better with the Welsh?

Hope it doesn't seem like I'm being too pushy.

Hey, I made the Lua code for Northern Ireland! A few things:

- The Civilization has to be named CIVILIZATION_CAESAR_NORTHERN_IRELAND in the XML, or change the Lua code.

- You need to make a simple +2 Production building called BUILDING_CAESAR_NAVAL_DOCKYARD

- You need to make an empty Promotion called PROMOTION_CAESAR_NAVAL_DOCKYARD which you can use the XML to give to all Naval Units, and one with +1 Movement called PROMOTION_LIGHT_CRUISER

Code:
local activePlayerID = Game.GetActivePlayer()
local activePlayer = Players[activePlayerID]
local civilisationID = GameInfoTypes.CIVILIZATION_CAESAR_NORTHERN_IRELAND
local isCivActive = IsCivilisationActive(civilisationID)
local isCivActivePlayer = activePlayer:GetCivilizationType() == civilisationID

local iPromotion = GameInfoTypes.PROMOTION_LIGHT_CRUISER

function IsCivilisationActive(civilisationID)
	for iSlot = 0, GameDefines.MAX_MAJOR_CIVS-1, 1 do
		local slotStatus = PreGame.GetSlotStatus(iSlot)
		if (slotStatus == SlotStatus["SS_TAKEN"] or slotStatus == SlotStatus["SS_COMPUTER"]) then
			if PreGame.GetCivilization(iSlot) == civilisationID then
				return true
			end
		end
	end

return false
end

function CaesarLightCruiserCode(iPlayer)
	local pPlayer = Players[iPlayer]

for pUnit in pPlayer:Units() do
		if pUnit:IsHasPromotion(iPromotion) then

--Movement Transfer
			local iMovement = pUnit:GetMoves()
			local pPlot = pUnit:GetPlot()
			local iNumUnits = pPlot:GetNumUnits()
			for iVal = 0,(iNumUnits - 1) do
				local pUnit = pPlot:GetUnit(iVal)
				if (pUnit:IsEmbarked()) and (pUnit:GetMoves() < iMovement) then
					pUnit:SetMoves(iMovement)
				end
			end
		end
	end
end
GameEvents.PlayerDoTurn.Add(CaesarLightCruiserCode)

local buildingCaesarNavalDockyard = GameInfoTypes["BUILDING_CAESAR_NAVAL_DOCKYARD"]
local unitPromotionCaesarNavalDockyard = GameInfoTypes["PROMOTION_CAESAR_NAVAL_DOCKYARD"] 

function Caesar_NavalDockyard(playerID)
	if pPlayer:IsAlive() then
		for city in pPlayer:Cities() do
			local cityPlot = city:Plot()
			local navalGarrison = false
			for unitID = 0, cityPlot:GetNumUnits() - 1, 1 do
				if (cityPlot and cityPlot:GetUnit(unitID):IsHasPromotion(unitPromotionCaesarNavalDockyard)) then
					navalGarrison = true
					break
				end
			end

if navalGarrison then
				if (not city:IsHasBuilding(buildingCaesarNavalDockyard)) then
					city:SetNumRealBuilding(buildingCaesarNavalDockyard, 1)
				end
			else
				if city:IsHasBuilding(buildingCaesarNavalDockyard) then
					city:SetNumRealBuilding(buildingCaesarNavalDockyard, 0)
				end
			end
		end
	end
end
GameEvents.PlayerDoTurn.Add(Caesar_NavalDockyard)

local unitTriremeID = GameInfoTypes["UNIT_TRIREME"]
local unitGalleassID = GameInfoTypes["UNIT_GALLEASS"]
local unitCaravelID = GameInfoTypes["UNIT_CARAVEL"]
local unitFrigateID = GameInfoTypes["UNIT_FRIGATE"]
local unitPrivateerID = GameInfoTypes["UNIT_PRIVATEER"]
local unitIroncladID = GameInfoTypes["UNIT_IRONCLAD"]
local unitLightCruiserID = GameInfoTypes["UNIT_LIGHT_CRUISER"]
local unitBattleshipID = GameInfoTypes["UNIT_BATTLESHIP"]
local unitCarrierID = GameInfoTypes["UNIT_CARRIER"]
local unitSubmarineID = GameInfoTypes["UNIT_SUBMARINE"]
local unitMissileCruiserID = GameInfoTypes["UNIT_MISSILE_CRUISER"]
local unitNuclearSubmarineID = GameInfoTypes["UNIT_NUCLEAR_SUBMARINE"]
local unitWorkBoatID = GameInfoTypes["UNIT_WORK_BOAT"]
local unitCargoShipID = GameInfoTypes["UNIT_CARGO_SHIP"]
local yieldProductionID = GameInfoTypes["YIELD_PRODUCTION"]

function CaesarNavalGoldConstruction(playerID)
	local player = Players[playerID]
	if (player:IsAlive() and player:GetCivilizationType() == civilisationID) then
		for city in player:Cities() do
			if city:GetProductionUnit() == unitTriremeID or unitGalleassID or unitCaravelID or unitFrigateID or unitPrivateerID or unitIroncladID or unitLightCruiserID or unitBattleshipID or unitCarrierID or unitSubmarineID or unitMissileCruiserID or unitNuclearSubmarineID or unitWorkBoatID or unitCargoShipID then
				local GoldFromShips = city:GetBaseYieldRate(yieldProductionID)
				player:ChangeGold(GoldFromShips)
				if player:IsHuman() then
					Events.AddPopupTextEvent(HexToWorld(ToHexFromGrid(Vector2(city:GetX(), city:GetY()))), Locale.ConvertTextKey("[COLOR_POSITIVE_TEXT]+{1_Num}[ENDCOLOR] [ICON_GOLD]", goldenAgePoints))
				end
			end
		end
	end
end

if isCivActive then
	GameEvents.PlayerDoTurn.Add(CaesarNavalGoldConstruction)
end

Ignore the heavily unoptimized "Gold from making Naval Units" bit.

You sir are absolutely amazing! Once I finished Iraq (which hopefully should be the end of this week unless I get unbelievably lazy), I'll starting working on Northern Ireland. The production of the Taino is kind of stuck right now since I need art so I need to work on something. Once again, thanks so much for helping me out. May your country win the next World Cup.

EDIT:
BTW, for future reference you could have just used GameInfoTypes["DOMAIN_SEA"] instead of listing all the naval units in the game.

Wait.... Youre working on your own civs, as well as on the phantoms of Pre Columbia? I thought those threads were the same. Not to discourage you, but that's a lot of work... You make me feel lazy.... :p

Quick question: Should Northern Ireland be called that or Ulster? Northern Ireland is the more correct name, but I think from a gameplay standpoint Ulster sounds better.

Bugger.

I wrote a long-arse reply, that I ended up losing due to the browser on my phone crashing. The long and the short of it was that I can understand your apprehension for calling the Civ 'Northern' anything - given that geography is mostly randomised in Civ (the exception, of course being TSL)

That said, I don't think the name Ulster fits either, as it evokes more than just NI's role within the empire. I would reserve the name for a broader civ with more celtic elements, as well as those from kingdom of Ulster. It could still fit - I just think NI would be more appropriate for this particular civ.

I mean, you could also go for Airlann, but I wouldn't advise it. It's not a very clear name, and Ulster Scots is hardly the most pleasant language to read. That said, it would work given the empirical perspective, as US is traditionally spoken by unionists. Probably not a serious option, but more serious than say, Norn Iron.

I really think NI is the way to go for the civ's name - just remember, we'll eventually have a South African civ, alongside East Timor. Naming by direction is not without precedent - even if it is a little iffy.

Hope that rambling managed to help you, I hope work on the civ is going smoothly nevertheless. May I ask what you are going with for colour scheme and Icon?

Thank you. I'll keep the name as Northern Ireland now. As for the icon, I'll be using the Red Hand of Ulster since it was on Northern Ireland's old flag. Red will be one color of course, but I haven't decided on the second one. Japan and some other modded civs already use red and white so I can't use that. Any suggestions?

Yeah, good shout avoiding the Red/White colour scheme - quite a few custom civs use it as is. The first alternative that springs to mind is also fairly common - however the Red Hand is often seen on a yellow background. This could work, especially if the background is gold (Gold being one of Ireland's two traditional colours, the other Royal Blue).

There are other options of course, with Green and Orange being important, if a pleasing configuration could be found. Ulster Nationalists are also fond of the Red Hand on a Red Cross of St. Patrick across a Blue background - so that's also food for thought.

The thing that is somewhat liberating about the colour scheme is that in some cases it does not need to be as linked to the respective civ as the Icon and other aspects - so to be perfectly honest as long as the icon looks pleasant, you should have pretty much free roam.

I'm assuming you're going Anglicanism as their preferred religion (with HR of course), but what of events and decisions - any ideas laid out - I can understand if not, given you are also working on the Taino (who I'm also damn hyped for) at present.

Right now the Taino are on hold since I need the last bit of Lua and art, so I'll probably come up with something soon. However, I'm also working on Colonialist Legacies' Cuba so that takes priority. Any events or decisions you have in mind? My first thought is the Troubles, although I'm not sure if I should actually put that in the game.

Yeah, I could get behind including The Troubles if there was a relevant gameplay reason to do so - if this is not the case I think there are better ways you could deal with the interplay between Catholics and Protestants in the North. I think it is handled well by LITE's Sri Lanka; they have a decision based upon the reconciliation of two distinct religious groups without making it a decision based on the Tamil Tigers and the Sri Lankan Civil War.

In that respect, I'd suggest an event surrounding the Orange Order and their marches, this would provide an insight into the cultural/religious disharmony. I guess the options could be something like;

A)Encourage the marches - Gain X :c5culture:, lose either Y :c5happy: or Z city goes into Y turns of revolt; X would be the amount of your dominant religious group multiplied by some factor, referencing how the marches are ingrained in Ulster Protestant culture. Y would be based on the number of your second highest Religious minority (Within city Z) - referencing Catholic opposition to the events.
B)Discourage the marches - Lose X :c5culture:, Gain either Y :c5happy: or Z city begins celebrating WLTKD for Y turns; So yeah, pretty much the inverse of the above option.

Not the most inspired event by any means, but hey - I think it works for the situation and it is nice to have a religious based decision that isn't entirely focussed on faith. I was considering offering a third option - in relation to Brooke's personal address to an Orange Rally in Newtownbutler in 1933. It's still an option if you want it (not sure about rewards), but it shows how anti-catholic Brooke was - so it may not be the best idea :p

For another event, I was considering the construction of the Titanic; given that it was built by Harland and Wolff and in Belfast - it would also work with the Naval theme. Though once again, I am strapped for ideas when it comes to the results of it, though I would guess you would want to focus on the ships' construction rather than its' sinking.

In terms of actual decisions, I don't have any ideas off the top of my head, and would need to do some more reading on Brooke to find any that are explicitly related to him. I hope the event suggestions were helpful however, I'll let you know if I turn up any decisions.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like both the Orange Marches and the Titanic ones. I don't know how to code E&D right now so the mod will most probably be released without it unless someone volunteers or I learn.

It's also come to my attention that I don't have music for Northern Ireland.

Yeah, E&D seems to be one of the more difficult aspects of coding a civ - so I can totally understand wanting to release it without support. Glad that some of my ideas were of use to you.

In terms of music, I'm not really sure which musical themes are sought after in Civ, though perhaps an orchestral rendition of Londonderry Air would work for the peace theme - with some kind of march as the war one. No idea as to actual examples of either however.

Would you be interested in writing the text for Northern Ireland? Specifically pedias, the DOM, and diplomacy. I tend to spend way more time than I should writing those things. Also, since you're Northern Irish it would be pretty cool if NI's leader spoke with an authentic dialect.

I'll see what I can do - the Pedias should be no big issue, just requiring general information about the traits and such. As mentioned before - I'd need to do a little more reading up on Brooke however, I know relatively little of the fellow outside of his tenure as PM and his staunchly anti-Catholic views.

I've never written anything close to a DOM, so I'm not convinced I'd be able to produce anything of quality - I could give it a crack if absolutely necessary however.

In regards to Brooke's dialect, ironically his manner of speaking was far closer to clipped, English RP than it was to an Irish Brogue - so there probably wouldn't be much of a Northern Irish dialect in his dialogue. For an example of his accent, this youtube channel had an interview given by him 1941

Oh yeah, the comments on that video should give you an idea of how Brooke is remembered among the Catholic community - I certainly think he's the best leader for a NI civ, but he's bound to be controversial. I think, if you want a leader who would garner somewhat less controversy, you could go with Brooke's successor; Terrence O'Neill. Despite also being a member of the UUP he was far more moderate than Brooke and encouraged further links with the Taoiseach of the Republic. He became unpopular among his own party (was almost deposed by Paisley in his own constituency) and had to resign, mostly because of his progressive opinions. I'd say Brooke and O'Neill are your choices, with Brooke being more iconic and controversial - your choice.

If you let me know what areas you want me to cover in the pedias, and how long they should be - I can try and write you a draft for tomorrow at some point (hopefully).

Yeah I was between Brooke and O'Neill while designing this civ too. I went with Brooke ultimately because his time in office was much longer and the problems that occurred during O'Neill's time as Prime Minister. Civ tends to go with iconic leaders even if they are controversial, the best example I can think of is Genghis Khan. He's the only person worthy of leading Mongolia even if he was responsible for tens of millions of deaths.

As for the pedias, I think these sections should be fine: Medieval History, Plantation of Ulster, Cromwell's Invasion, Industrialization and Home Rule, Partition of Ireland, The Troubles, and Northern Ireland Today. A paragraph each should be fine.

I've been coming up with a lot of ideas for new civilizations recently, but haven't completed any of them. I can make decent Civ icons and maps, but the rest of my art is mediocre at best and I have no idea how to make unit or improvement models. I'm also very new to Lua and could use some help when programming certain Civ features. If you're interested in helping me out with art, programming, or Civ design please contact me here or on Steam. My Steam username is the same one I'm using here.

Teutonic Order
Spoiler :
Teutonic Order
Leader: Hermann Von Salza
UA: Crusader State: Barbarian kills, defensive, and military buildings yield faith. Units gain a combat strength bonus from faith production. (Not sure what would be balanced right now)
UU: Crusader: Replaces Longswordman. Unlocked at Chivalry instead of Steel. Combat strength bonus when fighting near cities of a different religion.
UB: Ordensburg: Replaces Castle. +2 faith. +15% military production bonus and +15 more XP for units.

Well I am always happy to help, Caesar.

State of The Teutonic Order
Spoiler :
Leader: Winrich von Kniprode
Capital: :c5capital: Königsberg
UA: Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Capturing Barbarian Encampments, Defensive, and Military Buildings all yield an additional +1:c5faith: Faith, Upon waging :c5war: War :c5faith: Faith output increases by 5% for each Enemy Unit killed.
UU:Crusader (Longswordsman)
Unlocked at Chivalry instead of Steel, Gains a 20% :c5strength: Combat Bonus when fighting three tiles from a City with an opposing Religion. They gain the Unique "Livonian" Promotion granting it a Passive Healing Bonus every 3 turns
UB: Ordensburg
Produces +2 :c5faith: Faith, +15% :c5production: Military Production, also produces additional +15 Experience for Units, and 10% of this city's faith contributes to Great General Production

While I really like the Teutonic Order it was really hard to make any substantial improvements :p so take what you can from my design and try to move foward, I changed the leader to Winrich simply because he led the Order at the height of its power absorbing its neighbor the Livonian Order and leading successful campaigns against the Commonwealth of Poland-Lithuania

Thanks Howard! The Teutonic Order is kind of low on my list right now, so I won't really think about the design too much for right now. My immediate thought is changing the Ordensburg's effect to "10% of this city's faith contributes to Great General Production." I think it fits the war aspect a bit better.

Top Bottom