SGOTM2 Germany - Team scout

One point. If we're going for the UN goal at the quickest possible date we'd have to start early towards that goal(and by early I mean from turn #1): not draining Civs treasuries, gifting away techs to Civs lagging a tech or two behind, and most of all keeping as many Civs still in the game & powerful as we can.

I think the GL would be very benificial with that goal: We can research the often neglected techs at full speed, while at the same time reaping the benifits from research of everyone else & gifting them to others.

Once we hit the Mid/late-Industrial period we can start lagging in our research, and put as much as possible into getting our Army & Navy up to date & massive in preperation for taking the UN. It'll be a tricky variant with us being so genorous the entire game, but it's very doable.

scoutsout said:
We should be prepared for only one AI on our starting landmass. I'm thinking Pottery>Iron>beeline to Map Making. But I'm open to suggestion, and this would change if we met 2 or 3 civs on our starting continent.

Why IW? I know we're quicker to it starting with Bronze, but if we haven't met our continental neighbor(s) by the time Pottery comes in we should look into moving towards a tech that the AI neglects. If we go for The Wheel, we could try for HBR early and use it to trade to at least Writing. Granted, if we get Alphabet early the point is moot and we go towards Mapmaking on our own.

Boy, this game should help snap me out of my Builder tendencies. I never even considered just thinning the herd before the vote. We would have to be careful of hitting the domination limit first, and it will be a little difficult keeping the AI from killing each other off in an order not to our advantage. But, I like the plan as Scout's laid it out so far. Of course, actual game development can spin us around a bit... :crazyeye:

@ Gengis - good point on the Great Library. Are you comfortable playing 20?

I guess among our settlement plan we should look at a few things:

- Whether or not our capitol is capable of becoming a settler factory
- If yes, then we find a nice site nearby to build the GL
- If no, then we look at building the GL in our capitol, and find a settler pump site nearby..

I think our second or third city will probably need to be the GL site, because we don't start with Masonry to use Pyramids as a GL pre-build....

We're going to need lots of units too - the barb setting is high in this game... I wouldn't expect many good things from the goody huts.

Sure thing, got it.

I expect us to fall behind in techs early, then catch up with the GL, then fall behind again after Education, but us sacrificing our personal research a bit will keep the pace blistering.

Well, since I guess we're going for a Great Library gambit my old Builder ways will be satisfied. I imagine the beeline is to Literature then?

I'm hoping we find a more suitable settler pump soon. The capitol site so far seems a bit shield rich, at least until some of those forests are chopped. I don't know, it feels like a unit farm to me.

If we are going for the Great Library, would an early archer rush/ warrior rush to try for a Great Leader be feasible? That, of course, depends on how close the nearest neighbor is.

@ "Q": An archer rush is a viable gambit at Monarch level, in general terms. I suspect our first few archers will have their hands full with barbs, but that could be beneficial for turning regular archers into elites...

As an aside, does "Quartermaster" in the Navy mean roughly the same thing it does in the Army? Can we count on you for a steady supply of "beans and bullets"? :D

Actually, a Navy QM specializes in navigation. As I like to say, it's all about "rocks and clocks": don't hit any land with the big gray thing and get there on time.

edited out sorry

Hi mr Tweed.

Please don't play a shadow game of the original and then use that information to spoil the game for your team mates. I am sure this is not your intention, I just wanted to make sure you were aware that the discussion of any prior knowledge of the map you have is not allowed.

Another thing to take into account is that this game is based on GOTM8. It isn't GOTM8. It's a little different :satan:

Therefore some of the information you have given may not be entirely accurate.

Have a look at The Draft Constitution when you get the opportunity.

what me (looks shocked) i said nufffin :)

T0 (4000)- Worker moves East, and spots a game on the river!
Found Berlin anyways, there’s wheat to our NW that will be in our border as well.
Looks like we’ll be able to get a nice factory in our capitol, start on pottery as fast as possible.

T1 (3950)- Worker starts on a mine. (The mine will save us a turn off our second warrior, plus that gold isn’t that important since we’ll probably get beaten to pottery anyways.)

T2-T5 (3900-3750)- Warrior produced, start on another.
Warrior heads north………… it’s a pond.

T6 (3700)- Scouting, a lot of plains to our west.

T7 (3650)- Our warrior spots our second city. Ivory ahoy!!
Worker finishes mine starts road.

T8 (3600)- :sleep:

T9 (3550)- Warrior produced, start on barracks for granary prebuild.

T10 (3500)- Capitol expands, bringing wheat and game into our borders. Spot spices to our south.
Turn research down to 60%. Netting us 2gpt, pottery in 3, with our barracks due in 4.
Worker finishes road, and goes to the game tile for a forest chop to speed up our granary.

T11 (3450)- Worker starts forest chop.

T12 (3400)- :sleep:

T13 (3350)- Learn Pottery, start on TW at max research.

T14 (3300)- :sleep:

T15 (2350)- More of the same, still having seen a barb or goody hut.
Spot some incense to the east.

T16 (3200)- :sleep:

T17 (3150)- Switch a citizen from the game to a forest tile to slow growth so we’ll get our granary a turn before growth.

T18 3100)- :sleep:

T19 (3050)- :sleep:

T20 (3000)- Still no other Civs, barbs or goody huts.

Forest will be chopped next turn, so we can irrigate the game.

@ Gengis - looks like quite the interesting start...thanks for getting us going! :thumbsup: I'll refrain from comment to see if you're going to post an "after action review", but don't forget - they're doing the savegame submissions differently this go-around. There's an upload page on the GOTM server (see link in Mad-Bax's first post...)

It's looking good! Three luxuries within spitting distance is always nice. I'll also wait for an after action report before commenting further, except to say " Excellent turns GK"

After turn report is coming up as soon as I figure out what I'm doing wrong when trying to upload a save.:confused:

Gengis: I put an extra h in your nick. I have corrected the database and the server will accept your submission now. :)

:lol: The curse of "Genghis being taken already" strikes again!

Alrighty, some notes for the next person & everyone to consider.

Forest Chop finishes next turn. Unfortunatly the 10 shields are going to be wasted, but that doesn't really matter because the quicker we get that game irrigated the better and by prebuilding the granary & slowing our growth for a couple turns we’re still getting the granary the turn before we grow. After the game I'd go straight to irrigating the wheat, that'll put us at 4 fpt but that's the best we'll get in despot. A 5-turn factory isn't that bad, plus we can work some warriors in between builds for scouting.

I went with gm's suggestion on TW after pottery so we can research HBR, after that we’ll have hopefully met some people and can do some trading. I was initially thinking about doing a 40 turn IW gambit & trading for pottery, thank God I didn’t go with that one.

The south is anyone’s guess at this point but it looks like we have a lot of jungle to wade through. As of now I think unless we see a very good reason to, we should expand elsewhere first with terrain we can improve & save the jungle for later. After our granary completes I’d build a warrior to send out that way and scope it out.

Couple of quick questions. Is it "ethical" to look on the Spaceship screen and get the list of our opponents? Also, can I just download the save (not play forward) so I can get a better look at the situation? You know, getting older and older and eyesight getting lesser and lesser :lol:

Both are within the rules. Opening a save when it is not your turn is something I don't like however, since many people can resist everything except temptation. ;)

Thanks again, Gengis!

Order of go:

Genghis Khan: kicking back after kicking off
Tallanas - Up!
mrTweed - on deck
scoutsout - on the bench
qm1pooh - patiently waiting

@"Q" - it's okay to download the game and look at it without playing. Feel free to do a few screencaps or dotmaps if you have any suggestions.

@ Tallanas - feel free to post any questions you may have. It looks like Gengis has set Berlin up with an eye towards pumping a lot of setters there.

@ Team - though I doubt Tallanas will get a settler on his turns, where do you guys think our first couple of cities ought to go? And do we want to use RCP? (or do we know enough about the map yet?)

Top Bottom