A question about assigning stats for naval units

Delta_Strife

Deity
Supporter
Hello everyone!

I have been busy doing a ton ww2 for the past couple of months and I realized I have not put any of the new naval units in my own mod. I then got to thinking my current method of assigning stats is not really reflective of what these ships were like.

So I am asking everyone what is your formula or method for assigning hit points, attack, aa value, etc..... for your units?

Cheers,
Delta

do you mean

Spoiler :
:crazyeye: HMS Patrician

always be enough water under the keel
greeting:think:

:old:
Wotan49

Attachments

• DD.jpg
    DD.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 365
  • CL.jpg
    CL.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 158
  • CA.jpg
    CA.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 132
  • BB.jpg
    BB.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 154
  • BB2.jpg
    BB2.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 124
  • BB3.jpg
    BB3.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 147
In my WW1/2 game, submarines have the strongest attack value (100-150) of all naval units, but only 1 in defense. They also move between 3-5 tiles per turn (depending on class).

Destroyers have stats that makes them good submarine killers. They are fast and use radar. Destroyers can also almost par with cruisers on attack (torpedo destroyers, but they lack defense, so they’re cruiser bait)

Cruisers in turn may outgun destroyers, but battleships outgun cruisers. Neither ship outguns the attack value of submarines, though (double value of even a battleship’s defense value)

So basically it goes something like this (if I remember correctly)
Submarine – 150-1
Destroyer – 10-5
Light Cruiser – 15-10
Heavy Cruiser – 25-25
Battlecruiser 50-40
Battleship 60-60

MOVEMENT

General

I'm using a standardized system for all motorized vessels that is based on the maximal speed of these ships (in knots). IIRC, the slowest vessels (WW2 cargo ships, for example) have around 4 MP (that's also the minimum speed even for slower ships), and the fastest boats with 33 knots and faster (like some Italian DDs) have about 11 MP.

Coastal

Things may change when an unit enters coastal terrain. I've introduced a 50% movement malus on coastal terrain. This means that all vessels have to slow down during transit unless they're members of smaller classes (for example, TBs) or purpose-built coastal ships (the swedish CBs, for example). The effects are surprisingly noticeable: AI Ships tend to navigate in deeper seas and use "shipping lanes", while their lower speed near the coast makes them vulnerable to TB and Submarine attacks.

ARMOR

Capital Ships have a huge HP bonus in order to simulate their thick armor. Smaller craft get no or very little additional HP.

PRICES

All capital ships in my mod are very expensive and will consume population when built. Large BBs can take up to 20 Population. This reflects the huge manpower needed to maintain and run those vessels, and doesn't allow a civilization to build too many of those behemoths too quickly. Result: AI Navies are much (!) more diverse.

That's it for now. ;)

Top Bottom