Work in progess and Previews

true! true! wolfshade, but you must agree that there could be a wider approach on units! like balams recent units - we have a complete unitline for scotland and ireland! nothing more! we have even hebridean mercenaries and general medieval units which could be used for both highlands and lowlands...the idea is present, there are only small addons 3 or 4 medium units to be added and finished!

Agree, JG. It'd look absolutely great in the mod/scenario (scenario, I suppose) focused on the specific region history. In big epic mods/scenarios it's difficult to represent all this coolness.

correctly said. not for big scenarios - but for detailed representation of geographical and historical regions - for example - iberian world in the early, high and late middle ages till 1493 - almost complete unitlist for all factions. italian scenario, french scenario, british isles scenario - now possible! and so on. :)

i am very worse on scenarios but i will have to tweak the stats first and i cannot tweak the stats till i get at least two or three complete factions done in two or three eras , let us say ottonian age/high middle age/14th century (for the respective scenario)! i would create gladly a focused scenario for iberia or the balkans or the balticum! i want that the stats reflect the units and maybe all of them a little overpowered...to keep the stress for the player

and always the largest map with lots of details...like passes, key points etc. - my style...

so i have found these...

coptic fresco with armed saint...note the stirrupps, byzantine armour and roman style horse equippement
Spoiler :

coptic saint 1295 -note the shirt covered mail and byzantine war helmet!
Spoiler :

coptic fresco in cairo church
Spoiler :

coptic sinai fresco saint catherine 13th century - note the shield and the emblem!!!!!
Spoiler :

coptic priests
Spoiler :

coptic clergy - would be also nice as a unit!
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

some makurian cavalrymen in charge - they could wear some armour under their clothes - note -they are barefooted in the stirrups!
Spoiler :

medieval syrian soldier with interesting saddle and foot armour!!!
Spoiler :

Jerry most of what you posted are Icons of Saint Mercurius (224–250) a Roman soldier and martyr from Cappadocia.

The 2nd image is a Byzantine icon of st. Mercurius from Macedonia.

In all these images it isn't at all surprising that he's wearing Byzantine style armor.

As for the icon of st Catherine of Alexandria, I don't think that's a shield its most likely her clothes, since she's not holding it, and it's just floating in the air. This tear drop is often shown in dresses in Byzantine art.
Spoiler :

Anyway, thanks for your help. I think I'll stick to my original idea, unless I find something better.

shiro, be sure that i will download your units and have a nice time with them!
about the dress is that you might be right, i am no art historian, i am an architect, and byzantine art of this period is almost out of my land for sure! but you might understand that art produces ideas and hints to certain traditions, it might be simply an invocation of santa sofia or even older to athen the greek goddes

Spoiler :

ps saints often produce accurate time imagery of military traditions in their respective regions, especially military ones! they become the ideal for those who are subjects to different cultures, and i believe the syrians, tunesians and copts viewed the byzantine times as their golden age! and they wanted to be as their representations from that times! believe me, i know what i am speaking about...

i will search for
coptic tapestry 600 ad
Spoiler :

An icon of Saint Behnam and his sister now in the Coptic Museum

Spoiler :

icon with sergius and bacchus around 1300
Spoiler :

coptic bible arund 1170
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

light infantryman!!!
Spoiler :

medieval coptic priest 12th century
Spoiler :

i think i forgot to mention the ghazis units for the islamic world - principally on foot, but on horse also...

some variants

Spoiler :

maybe one for the afghans too...but i have no clue for the moment how it looked like...i refer the death of muhammad of ghor and the afghan mourning tradition...

UPLOADED!!!:D:D:D

Modern Units:
Generic:
Spoiler :
Generic AK47 2.0
Desert AK47 2.0
African AK47 2.0
African M16
African Paratrooper
DBDU M16
Guerrilla
Maoist Guerrilla
Military Contractor
Modern Paratrooper
POW
Special Forces 2.0
UN Peacekeeper
Generic M16
Islamic Insurgent

Thread Here

The West
Spoiler :
Colombian Infantry
Cuban Infantry
East German Infantry
French Infantry
German Infantry
Mexican Infantry
Polish Infantry
Russian Infantry
Russian Paratrooper
Spanish Infantry
US Airborne
US Infantry
US Marine
US Machinegunner
US Special Forces

Thread here

Asia
Spoiler :
Japanese Paratrooper
Modern Japanese Infantry 2.0
ROK Infantry 2.0
ROC (Taiwan) Infantry 3.0
Khmer Rouge 2.0
Vietcong 2.0
Indian Infantry 2.0
Indonesian Infantry

Thread here

Mideast
Spoiler :
Iranian Infantry
Turkish Infantry

Thread here

Religious
Priests:
Spoiler :
African Shaman
Armenian Priest
Jewish Priest
Rabbi
SE Asian Imam
Shia Imam

Thread here

Crusaders:
Spoiler :
Generic Crusaders:
-Crusader Bishop
-Crusader Knight
-Crusader Swordsman
-Crusader Sergeant

Hospitallers
-Knight Hospitaller
-Dismounted Knight Hospitaller
-Hospitaller Crossbowman
-Knight of Malta

Templar
-Knight Templar
-Templar
-Dismounted Knight Templar
-Templar Sergeant

Other Crusading Orders:
-Sword Brethren
-Knight of Saint Thomas
-Militissa (female knight) of Saint Mary
-Teutonic Knight
-Dragonist Knight

Thread here

65 units, it took much much longer than I thought it would. I wanted to have it done by Christmas, but it was just too much work.

Thank you to Ares and Takhisis for the victory sounds.

interesting:cooool:
:clap: I thank you for these units
:love:
POW good prisoner of war
:newyear:

Wotan49
:coffee:

Shiro is back to business :D

Btw where are the Byzantine units? :\
The next crusader pack will probably be Eastern Christian crusaders, Byzantine, Russian, Copts, Armenians.
But finding good historical examples has been pretty difficult, especially for the Byzantines.
But I have some ideas.

Very nice release. Almost enough to make me go back to business, but I have to finish my NTW mod first.

BTW, what about the old Japanese medieval units you started but never finished?
The Japanese, Koreans, and Anatolians, and many other things, were on my external hard drive that died last year. Its one reason why I began to focus on modern infantry and making new packs.

Hopefully in the future I can save up enough money to take it somewhere to have the data recovered. But I don't think that will be anytime soon.

Top Bottom