Ideas on How to add Religion to Civ 3

yes, they are new units. I hope to release them in an ancient religion pack, Khmetic, Zoroastrian, Greco-Roman, Confucianist, African Shaman, American Shaman, Hindi

It would be YERY cool if you could add a Pagan Shaman to your list again. If you need more discribtions about them feel free to ask me. I can give you skilled advises how they`ve had looked like. I`ve studied them and their work for more than 15 years.
So what about making "Veleda" ? She was the mighty (female) Shaman who has united the three tribes against the Roman Army ,what has led to their famous defeat in the Teuteburger Wald. Let me know !:)

Disregard my previous requests for Korean units and leaderheads. I no longer have a need.

Disregard my previous requests for Korean units and leaderheads. I no longer have a need.

Redgarding the units at least, they are still needed for any epic mod or general asian mod.

Sigh, very sad to see you abandoning your projects Ogedei.

Cheers,

Nick

In the other thread you mentioned trying to make their attacks match the ones by Plotinus'. I don't think this is necessary - maybe not even desirable. Since these are truly unique units variations of attack animations should be seen as a positive.

I have been giving this religion discussion some thought. The question is what do religious types do? They convert. I am using a couple of religion type units in my scenario Savage Hearts. There are warrior priests (primarily a combat type unit with A/D) and shamans that have "special" modes of attack. But they don't really convert enemy units unless they defeat them in combat and enslave them, and there is no way they can enslave an entire city. So how can this done.

I was thinking of what the early spaniards did when they came to the new world. They made allies of the Aztec and Incan enemies and converted them to christianity. This is not something that happened overnite. It took time. They built missions and churches. Basically, they changed the terrain. Perhaps a priest, rabbi, muhla, monk, or other religious unit could be given the ability to change the terrain in some way that would destabilize a town or city enough to cause it to be more susceptible to propaganda or revolt. Does placing a barricade on a terrain square deny the opponent the benefits of that tile. Would this destabilize the population and make it more susceptible to propaganda? The barricade graphic could be changed to look like a church or some other religious symbol.

This is just an idea that I thought I would share. Maybe someone can come up with some other ideas along this line.

I used a similar approach, but slightly different.

I have "priest" units which can enslave ennmy if victorious, and create "converts".
These converts can be sacrificed.

The idea is that you can capture a city, you lose the culture and so the border is small.

If you convert some units and sacrifice them, spreading your religion, you can increase your influence in the conquered city, and expand your border.

I used a similar approach, but slightly different.

I have "priest" units which can enslave ennmy if victorious, and create "converts".
These converts can be sacrificed.

The idea is that you can capture a city, you lose the culture and so the border is small.

If you convert some units and sacrifice them, spreading your religion, you can increase your influence in the conquered city, and expand your border.
Hmmm that is oddly very familiar. Maybe its a case of deja vu.

You mentioned in your wip thread that you were interested in doing a "priests" set. It's too bad the files you previewed here were lost. If you're going to work on this again ...

Earlier in this thread there was a discussion about an upgrade line for religious units. A possible Hindu version:

The brahmin could be without a beard. The saddhu need not have all the body paint. Saddhu's hair is long, matted or dreadlocks. Rishi has topknot like brahmin, but back of his hair is long and loose. And color of clothing isn't critical for any of them - white or light brown would serve just as well. Optionally, the saddhu could have a tiger or leopard skin loincloth to match Sandris' tribal units.

Tentative Hitlist:

x Buddhist Monks (rendered)
Daoist Priest
x Hindu Brahmin
Zoroastrian Athornan
Mesopotamian Priest
Pagan Priest (probably Celtic)
x Hellenic Priest/Roman Priest
x Islamic Imam
Witch Doctor
Siberian Shaman
African Shaman
North American Shaman
Korean Mudang
Ancient Jewish Priest
Jewish Rabbi
Incan Priest

Pope/Bishop
Patriarch
Grand Mufti
Jewish High Priest
Buddhist Abbot

Crusaders:
Ethiopian Crusader
Orthodox Crusader (unsure, maybe a monk with a sword, or something more like a what-if Orthodox version of the Catholic military orders)
Buddhist Warrior Monk
Sohei
Jewish Crusader (probably a Khazar)
African Warrior Shaman
Hindu Warrior Monk (saddhu?)
Daoist Crusader (Yellow Turban)

the orthodox version existed, at last for the byzantines and i believe also for the bulgarians later.
i am curently reading abaut photios from constantinople, "the mystagogy of thr Holy Spirit", and it seems he was one of them. a picture shows how they may have looked like, as n integrated part of
the byzantine army
Spoiler :

kalmyk buddist priest!!

Spoiler :

Top Bottom