Preview and Request Thread

why do i love this site??? oh man, nice unit additions, they will swallow the african unit line....perfect!!!, maybe some heavier units also...?! :clap::clap::clap:

some soldiers

Spoiler :

these below ar from the bornu empire
Spoiler :

some african armour
Spoiler :

Balam-Agab, great units! The only thing to mention from me personally - please, add to the Pictish pack a mounted unit.
And, input from the Jerry is very interesting & nice also, these 2 units (in the spoiler 1) would be great addition as well.
Anyway, thank you for your great units! :) And Happy New Year, yeah!

Here are a few more Pict pics to take a gander at:
Spoiler :
Early:

Too much civ colour?

Late:

There will also be a late horseman (like the early one, but with scale armour and a helmet), a crossbowman/hunter (dressed similarly to the late spearman) and possibly and early axeman.

I'm away from my PC at the moment and will be until the end of the month. I borrowed an old copy of poser off a friend and i've installed it on my mac. I have the week off next week, so I plan to do some modeling and texture mapping (the rendering will wait till I've got my PC). I have a fair few units nearly ready to go once I'm back, though. Some of the Picts need re-texturing as the civ colour is a bit to small, but most are ready. I also have a big Polynesian pack which just needs a couple of Maoris to be finished. Long story short, be prepared for a spring deluge.

I'll post anything I make next week as I go.

As promised here's what I've done so far:

Two Dacians:

And an early preview of a Maori warrior:

The yellowish part of the kilt will be textured like a grass skirt (i have the texture already made on my PC and don't want to remake it)
There is also a silver fern leaf tattoo on his back.

Two questions about the Maori:

1. Thoughts on my crude Taiaha?
2. should the grass skirt cover the legs like other skirts, or should the legs poke through (i.e. parting the grass strands)?

The Maori proto is fantastic. The Shirts are actually tubes and the legs freely poke through. The Skirt is made of native flax that is given equal parts of the outer green layer scraped off and then un-scraped parts. Then it is socked in water for 30 days. Then dried out which it then becomes tubes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Māori_traditional_textiles

http://youtu.be/c-lrE2JcO44

PS: Maori mainly (only) Tattooed their Faces. I have yet to see any original Photos and/or artistic drawings or paintings of Maori with Tattoos anywhere else but their face.

PSS: necklace not right,, yet.

Two questions about the Maori:

1. Thoughts on my crude Taiaha?
2. should the grass skirt cover the legs like other skirts, or should the legs poke through (i.e. parting the grass strands)?

The second linked video shows the "skirt" with legs coming through:
That's the idea. Look as fierce as possible. Haka is so much built into the New Zealand identity that the All Blacks (New Zealand's Rugby team (the best team in the world!)) are famous for performing it before every match.
IIRC at one point there were official protests by opponents because it was felt that the haka unfairly intimidated other teams. Which afaik is part of the intent of a haka. Would make a great fortify or victory anim.

Be sure to review the excellent closeup photo nick0515 posted. This solo taiaha demonstration is a good comparison for length & shape of the taiaha. As well as attack moves. Also check out the match at about 3:30 into this segment of a Maori tv show.

Good sites fro BM and Nick.

Watch this clip. It's from the Movie Once Were Warriors. (Great Movie).[ George Henare ]-The man in this movie is not only a famous NZ actor but he is also a master of Maori Weaponry. This clip will not only show an expert using the Taiaha but the dialog will give a sense of the Mana or essence of the Maori Warrior.

http://youtu.be/ofybOAqLWZM

PS: Maori mainly (only) Tattooed their Faces. I have yet to see any original Photos and/or artistic drawings or paintings of Maori with Tattoos anywhere else but their face.
From the description sounds like the leaf pattern design is based on this image of a Māori Chief from J. White, The Ancient History of the Maori,(Government Printer: Wellington, NZ, 1887-1891).

I'll have to watch that film. Looks very good. The way he wields the taiaha is impressive.

It may be that the taiaha in the wip is a little shorter than the ones in the links. To my eye they seem to be about ankle to shoulder length.

On the lighter side - gingerbread haka from an NZ commercial.

Yes watch the Movie Blue Monkey.

As for you picture of Maori Chief with Tattoo. This isn't a factual Picture at all. This what I consider a Cartoon.
Two requirements are needed to have a Maori Tattoo.
1) You need to be a Maori-
2) Elders and the Chiefs permit the Tattoo to proceed. A Tattoo is more than just ink. It is their identity. - Cartoon leafs were not allowed.

"In 1879 the Government commissioned John White to compile the work, the first six volumes of which were published between 1887 and 1890, followed by a volume of illustrations. Further publication ceased with John White's death in 1891, ..."

... ...

Yes - I only pointed it out as the probable source - making no claims for its accuracy. Even in White's book it's the only image with anything beyond a facial moko. The few written references I've seen to Maori body work seem to all refer back to a statement by Captain Cook. In that context "body" could include the head rather than just the torso. On some tattoo artists' websites they refer to rare Maori body work, but without any substantiation for the statements.

There's a similar problem with early photos of First Peoples of North America. Edward S. Curtis is notorious for manipulating the subjects and contents of his photographs, for example. To the extent of dressing them in a selection of costume elements he kept in his studio.

Attaching a name to a tattooed unit is problematic because styles of tattooing varied from island to island. Perhaps Balam-Agab can use the body-tattooed texture for a non-Maori unit - a more generic Polynesian warrior?

PSS: necklace not right,, yet.

Blue monkey is correct as to the provenance of the back tattoo. If you think that the drawing is inaccurate I'll get rid of it. Looking at it again, it doesn't look all that good at civ scale anyways.

For the necklace, what would you suggest?

Wow, Dacian Chieftain and Falxman...bravo men...what about Dacian Horse Units?

Top Bottom