Preview and Request Thread

so shiro, the double hand sword was used already very early, has it something to do with korea, i have often seen there similar swords...
I'm not sure what double handed sword/swords your talking about.

Chokutō (straight sword)
Spoiler :

Tachi
9th/10th century to 16th century
Spoiler :

curved sword, mainly for cavalry, use one or two handed.

The tachi developed into the shorter uchigatana in the 15th century
Spoiler :

The Katana was used from the 17th century to the 19th century
Spoiler :

Longer swords such as the Ōdachi was developed in the 14th century
Spoiler :

Shields probably disappeared from Japan when from the 5th century onwards horses became more and more important to warfare. Archery became the primary weapon for the warrior class. And for the foot soldiers, they carried long pole arms. The sword was mostly a side arm. And would have been difficult to move in between the weapons with a shield. And the most Japanese shields were large, maybe for defending against arrows instead of swords or spears.

200BC - 800AD
Spoiler :

Iron shield and wooden shields

Post 9th century
Spoiler :

There were occasionally smaller handheld shields, even a few examples of round shields. But mostly shields died out.

Spoiler :

what age is this picture?

also i want to ask you if the infantry had a more static role. like the cursores - defensores from the byzantine world. in this case the defensores would hold the place while cursores will follow the enemy. so the picture you presented with naginata and shiled is actually a defensores? one who holds the position while cavalry or lighter troops follow the running enemy?
also the shield used with archery is pretty clear. do you know how old is this method? do you have any reference? i might say it is at least neolithical...very very interesting world - the far east!

balam, since i like the armoured mahout you made (a very very good idea), i would like to ask you
if you might make two more elephants for the medieval indians - beacause they had no siege rams
and they were using their elephants against gates - hence the spikes on the doors...
i might need a lighter siege elephant with only the mahout and he is carrying a shield (like in the image)

Spoiler :

and a heavier one (but only with a mahout) like this one

Spoiler :

if we got these they woud function like extensions to the siege packs created by imperator!

ps and maybe some heavier cavalry - they had heavy cavalry! i mean some armoured horses like below...for the other factions you propose

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

i would like to post some christian mercenaries for the maghreb area, till i will not forget

a very interesting norseman with arabian style armour

Spoiler :

and a christian mercenary with falchion and light armour, also for magreb

Spoiler :

and if possible in the far future also sayf al dawla - note the long shirt!
Spoiler :

just in case you want to add some flavour to the maghreb are, which is already excellent covered by both imperator and sandris, but for the certain something, 3 more units to emphasize the
mercenary and multicultural andalusian military

oh and the famous black army!
Spoiler :

and here are some early crusader breton light cavalry
Spoiler :

breton light cavalry at home
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

breton infantry
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

foot knight
Spoiler :

mounted knight - your scottish horsecovering was beautifull, maybe you could try also this...
Spoiler :

and an armorican heavy armoured javelin cavalry - late roman tradition!
Spoiler :

late letavian soldiers
Spoiler :

light letavian
Spoiler :

more letavians
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

i think ares could lend a hand especially for his time!!

Request - Empires of the East – The Diadochi

Hi, here is a gentle request of some eastern Hellenistic armies of Antiquity. They could be useful as units for the great Seleucid empire of Asia, the Greeks of Bactria in modern Afghanistan, or the mysterious Indo-Greek kingdoms. This could fill the small gap between Sandris' Alexander the Great units and Roman/Parthian units.

Unit line:

Spearman w/Javelin - Thureophoros (or Thureophoroi) - a militia spearman (also armed with a javelin) with a Thureos shield. No armor or helmet.
Spoiler :

Pikeman - Eastern Phalangite (should also have a small round shield)
Spoiler :

Archer - Cretan mercenary
Spoiler :

Swordsman – Thorakites, swordsman with chain-mail and Thureos shield and javelin (not entirely unlike a Roman legionary)
Spoiler :

Horse javelinman – native militia with Thureos shield (figure B)
Spoiler :

Horseman with spear - Greek colonist
Spoiler :

Heavy cavalry – Bactrian Greek or Seleucid
Spoiler :

War elephant
Spoiler :

Attachments

• kolfaq.jpg
    kolfaq.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Raffia 6s.JPG
    Raffia 6s.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 169
  • elephant-ii.jpg
    elephant-ii.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 148
i would like to post some images about aq qoyonlu soldiers

Spoiler :

also some shirvanshah units and some safavids - maybe you might put your horses some fancy colored horsedress like the ones below. i say this because i see the new coloured shield
and given the fact we are speakong about highly decorated artefacts i salute your did hope to see more!

Spoiler :

this is a map about the horsemen of the steppe project (total war) and we have here a quite good geogrphical representation of these eastern empires! maybe two to three units for each of them
would be more than sufficient! these petty states were swept away by the mongols and they represent a very special mix of sarmatians and turkmen with pockets of indoeuropean languages spoken till today!
Spoiler :

also i will want to add some kipchaks to the wishlist - they played an important role prior the mongols in the steppe corridor and as replacing culture for the pecheneg domain, and post mongol in forming the walachian principalities and the golden horde!

khan's lancers,
Spoiler :

dismounted archers but with face mask - here not visible -wrong preview, however a chainmail face mask - russian-byzantine tradition!! very interesting!
Spoiler :

karakalpak nobles
Spoiler :

nomad lancers
Spoiler :

kipchak javelinmen - are important because javelins were present till 19th century in turkmen arsenal, and were mainly used to bring down an enemy horse!
Spoiler :

dismounted lancers - with leather armour
Spoiler :

turcoman tribesmen
Spoiler :

i would also want to ask for some kurdish units, companions of saladin
kurdish peshmerga
Spoiler :

kurdish swordsmen
Spoiler :

kurdish javelinmen
Spoiler :

caucasus hillmen
Spoiler :

also i would politely ask that you might create an afghan unit line, since you hinted this with you durrani units!
a very superb pashtun infantryman
Spoiler :

afghan axeman
Spoiler :

jat spearmen
Spoiler :

ghaznavid ghulams
Spoiler :

ghazni light lancer
Spoiler :

sistani spearmen
Spoiler :

gakhari tribesmen
Spoiler :

ghaznavid askari (horse cotton armour)
Spoiler :

gahzni ghulam horse archer
Spoiler :

ghazni ahdath
Spoiler :

ghazni junior ghulam
Spoiler :

i have spent nearly two hours (happy and delighted hours) in searching these units which you might consider as inspiration. you might also be interested in this ghaznavid unitline.
i have made some recolorings in photoshop some of sandris units and some of yours. and guess what! i always blamed you both silently for leaving to much player colour on your units,
but if you have a keen eye and with the right colours (cyan or turcoise for the turkish units) your little creations transform themselves into jewels - principally i play with blue so blue and turcoise is absolutely superb combination - and so i wanted to thank you for leaving a little playground on tweaking your units. balam i thank you very much!

i want to add some previews of some ghorid units. i would like to have a complete unit line for an afghan-baluchi-east persian civilisation as a counterbalance for india and iran. maybe you will try your hands on similar units!

ghazi warriors!
Spoiler :

heavy axemen! - to continue your wonderfull idea of that hebridean viking!
Spoiler :

emir guards
Spoiler :

light militia
Spoiler :

persian militia
Spoiler :

iranian light archers
Spoiler :

nuristani light javelinmen
Spoiler :

korasani light spearmen - very important to me since it could be used also for the khwarezmians, since i do not know if someone will spend time reveal us more from the area!
Spoiler :

lashkar infantry
Spoiler :

nobles spearmen
Spoiler :

mounted noble javelimen
Spoiler :

pashtun cavalry
Spoiler :

turkmen bowmen - general mercenary for many civilisations!
Spoiler :

turkmen javelinmen - also a well needed mercenary unit!
Spoiler :

khalaj turkmen
Spoiler :

the emir ghulam - of course - dismounted in heavy battles to sustain moral of tribesmen!
Spoiler :

ghorid junior ghulam!!!
Spoiler :

ghorid senior ghulam!
Spoiler :

i have found this elephant! 14th century china with commander. maybe a nice future unit...
Spoiler :

ps i mean we are so lucky to get an elephant line...

i would like to ask you, balaam, if possible to create an armoured javelinman for the mughals, but with finer javelins, like thicker arrows, i do not have a picture, similar to a chainmail dehli spearman but with these thicker arrows - for taking down cavalry! if possible, of course :think:

balam, are you still around? what are you working on (whatever it will be it will be astonishing, i assume!) :high5:

Still around, just busy. I've been working on bits and pieces of a few packs. Here is what I have (in various stages of completion). See if you can figure out what they are... (no looking at the file names...;))

Spoiler :

I have a couple weeks off around Easter and should have more time to work on these then.

bactrians, hephtalites, norwegians, some indians and polinesians?

ps also in post 172 i reminded you of some infantry turkic spearman. please render him also this time!

ps2 please do not forget about the maceman for the hephtalites - i would like to have it as a dismounted maceman. if possible dismount your similar cavalry unit for a second infantry one and give the infantry guy the violet padding, please!

ps 3 also i forgot to say WOOOOOOOOOOOW!

bactrians, hephtalites, norwegians, some indians and polinesians?
Yes (except the Norwegians), but you've not got them all. (ironically the remainders are based on your images...)

ps also in post 172 i reminded you of some infantry turkic spearman. please render him also this time!

That pack (the Huns) is also nearly done it just needs some final adjustments.

ps2 please do not forget about the maceman for the hephtalites - i would like to have it as a dismounted maceman. if possible dismount your similar cavalry unit for a second infantry one and give the infantry guy the violet padding, please!

The unit can be done (and i already have it in the works) but the violet is an issue as it does not work with the pallet.

Top Bottom