Monthly Competitions Submissions Thread IV

I hope we get more participation this year than we did last year. To give you an idea of what I'm up against, there were 42 units besides Ruby's Earthworm posted to the database last month: 19 by Balam-Agab, 8 by Delta Strife & Co., 11 by Anthony Boscia, and 4 by Gwendoline, and yet, even though I've loosened the rules to allow multiple entries by the same author, only Ruby posted his unit. (Good for you, Ruby!) (And Tony: next time that happens, contact me. I can't make an exception if I don't get a request for one....)

I've tried contacting some authors directly and appealing to their sense of community; that worked in November (or October, I forget..). I honestly do think that, because the contests are one of the rare things that the whole C&C forum community does together, that it has value beyond the silly horse-race; it's a way that we share our works between ourselves, and a chance to display our wares to the larger community. This is OUR thing, not my thing (as K has just reminded me in his inimitable way).

It is very much a shame. I feel like people should indeed just display their creations in any way possible besides just the thread in the appropriate subforum. I love these competitions, and I have entered I think every one that I was able to. And it isn't just about winning. I can be living proof of that, since out of all those competitions, I have only ever won one :lol:. Well, 2 now, but it just doesn't feel good to win by default...

I think I'm just gonna encourage at least unit-makers in the threads of their units to enter them.

The contests are not about winning, indeed. Personally i never cared about winning, and neither did i ever feel sad when los... not-winning. I mean who even counts how many times they won these things... :)

Just for the record, when i passed the contest to Bal, entirely with no incident and merely out of feeling that i was too busy back then to carry on after as many as two entire contests, i never expected the future contests to be an issue in regards to their survival or importance in the community.

I am shocked. Outright shocked. Shocked. :)

How about an "Editor's choice" for the contest if there are not enough contestants? One unit per creator that was released that month could be picked and take part in the contest.

How about an "Editor's choice" for the contest if there are not enough contestants? One unit per creator that was released that month could be picked and take part in the contest.

Not a bad idea, but I guess you would have to get permission from the creators. Allthough I would imagine getting one-time permission for someone to do that, would mean you should be able to enter units every month... Sort of like a subscription

Alternatively, everybody could submit any unit by any creator (but only one per poster!) from that month. So it wouldn't be up to each creator to submit his own work, and each creator could have more units in the contest.

Just an idea for thought.

^You would have to contact the creator and ask if he/she wants that unit in the contest. Would create more problems than any it might have been fixing. Let alone that people could enter a second entry in the very last minute, thus rendering the several entries by one person obsolete and a waste of time.

Due to the large number of posts on the subject of the proposed rule changes, I've started a new thread about it in the main forum, and encourage you to continue this conversation there. I appreciate the input that everyone has provided on this subject so far. I intend to ultimately put this all to a vote.

Our ever-helpful moderator Rob has moved previous posts #130 - #147 (which discussed the proposed change) from this thread over to that thread, and I thank him for that.

I'd like to enter my LH if this is still running :)

It is, but you'll have to wait until January, as the LH competition is now only held annually (on account of so few entries). Your unit, however, can compete right away!

Sorry I was gone all month. Couldn't be avoided. I will explain fully in the next competition thread, which will (necessarily) combine the February & March contests.

Speaking of which, I received a late entry last night just under the wire:

Name: Mars Terrain
Author: Balthasar
Thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=523667

It's good to be the king.

Top Bottom