Might be either caffeine or urge to create...

Hard to tell from that angle - is the center blade longer than the two outside, like the ones here or here? I ask because it might also be useful as a trishul (similar Indian weapon).

Slightly OT: I watched War of the Arrows last night - about Joseon resistance to the Qing. Awesomely realistic display of virtuosity with a bow, imho. I'd like to see similarly great work with other Korean weapons such as this one in a comparable historic / wuxia film.

It has a slight outward curve, like the one in the second picture. Korean shamans also typically carry a smaller version of something almost identical to the Indian trishul (probably a Buddhist influence) in rituals.

Thanks to Takhisis' suggestion on using pivot points and cursor positioning for curves, I've finally been able to enhance the look of East Asian roof structures.

I used a combination of several different methods and a lot of trial-and-error to get the shape (so it's not only Takhisis' previous suggestion on pivot points ;) ). First I set the Pivot Point to 3D Cursor and positioned the cursor directly at 0 on the Y-axis (or X-axis depending on the shape's orientation) and at a slight distance over the section of the figure to be rotated. The next thing was to set "Proportional Editing Falloff" to Smooth. Next, I set my view to Right Orthographic View, disabled Limit-selection mode, box-selected the points of the edge to be modified, and then rotated the selected edge at 6 degrees. Having the view at Front or Right Orthographic View prevents any unwanted distortion from rotating.

Are you trying to make something like that?

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 87
Pretty much. Though not at that level of detail since none of it will be visible in-game anyway.

Pretty much. Though not at that level of detail since none of it will be visible in-game anyway.
I remember an argument between a couple of unit makers many years ago over the shape of buttons on a uniform - couldn't even see the buttons on the finished unit. :lol:

The gates of Luoyang (just to give a hint on what city set I have in mind next):

Hey, I have a city walls model somewhere, you could use it.

I've been doing a bit more experimentation with shapes and modelling methods. Took me a while to go back to plain old cube shaping (previously I purely used grids and plotting vertices, which was how I produced the Maruoka Castle building and took far more time). These buildings are a combination of both grid and cube based modelling. Also took me a while to figure out how to apply textures via UV editing. This is all still in the beginning stages, but I think I have something coming along.

Attachments

• LuoyangTangSample.jpg
    LuoyangTangSample.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 134
On second thought, the architecture is definitely more Han Dynasty than Tang. Tang (and especially Ming) would be especially challenging.

I haven't disappeared (yet). Decided to fiddle around with Blender again. Still can't quite get the hang of UV mapping. The dome texture isn't at all supposed to look like that. It truly is a challenging art form.

Thanks. I've been experimenting with doing some Ayyubid period Egypt buildings. Now if I can figure how to do this UV thing...

You need to uv-map the object, then place the areas in accordance to your texture (which you do in the image editor, eg in gimp), and then return to blender to import the new file (texture + areas) as a material. I did it once, but forgotten by now, yet it isn't that difficult. Look at youtube videos on it if you need help :)

I kind of know the basics on UV unwrapping and getting the texture on it. But I still think in terms of 2D so a UV map of a 3D object tends to be confusing.

Top Bottom