Civ IV Demo / Windows Vista? New Civ Player

Bias

Chieftain
I've heard so much about Civilization that I thought I should really give it a try. I downloaded the demo to check if it would work on my system (Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit). Vista doesn't seem to be supported according to the box and web site. I got the message about there being compatibility problems with Civ IV, tried anyway, but I couldn't get it to run.

I REALLY want to play Civ IV! :) Can somebody verify that it works under Vista? The expansion Beyond The Sword seems to support Vista, but can I get the base Civ IV package to run on Vista? I have an HP nx7400 laptop with 1 GB RAM and an Intel 945 mobile graphics adapter.

I did try to patch the demo to see if any patches added Vista support, but I couldn't patch it because it's a demo (I'm assuming).

I'm having a similar problem, however I'm using Windows XP and I keep getting that "failed to initialize renderer" error. I've updated all my ATI drivers and my directx to no avail. I also tried the artpack fix and that hasn't cleared it up either. I'm so disappointed about this because I was thinking of buying this game, but if I can't even demo it what's the point??? Any other help options would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

same problem here, just got an HP Pavillion dv6000 in cash and I tried to run Civ IV on it from the Civilization Chronicles package and it kinda worked, but not really. It flickered like a bad VHS and crashed when I tried to start a game...so I downloaded the 1.61v patch and that stopped it from loading at all.

Vista is really beginning to irritate me...

Well when I finally decide to get a new computer it will be a whole new can of worms because I'm planning to upgrade to a brand new imac haha :) It will be good luck finding the games i'd like to play then, but I find that sacrifice worth an excellent and stable machine.

I am successfully running Civ4 BTS under Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit. I also tried to play the demo before buying but it never worked. The full game seems fine though. In any event, both the Gold version of Civ4 and Beyond the Sword have the "Games for Windows" banner on their boxes, so these are guaranteed to work under Vista (and the latest patch fixes a UAC issue).

Hi friends,

i would like to know whether my following computer specs compatible with Civilization IV

WIndow Vista Home Premium 64 bit
Intel R Core 2 CPU 6300, 1.86 GHz
2.00 GB RAM
NVidia Gforce 6600gt (2 cards)

thanks.....:) :) :)

Top Bottom