Final Civ List.

In principle, I completely agree with the new list. Any other objections? If not, motion passed. Good, now who wants to change the civs XML to fit all of this in? Once that's done, we'll start testing it.

So we're changing all the civs again? After a year on the project and much of the work that people have done now needs to be redone because Mattygerst doesn't like the 'balance'. I've read and re read these posts and what was written on the diplo thread i set up and can only come to the conclusion that they convey a real arrogance and little faith in or regard for other people's work.

There is absolutely no good reason to be ripping this map up at this stage to save civ space whilst also creating a load of new civs. We could all do new maps. To have argued and better argued about it and now to be changing it within 24 hours after at most 3 people including the new author are in favour seems pretty ridiculous, but hey.

To tackle some of the points raised in favour of the new map, which I had rather hoped to have avoided doing:

1) Canada is the 2nd biggest country in the world and a G7 economy. It is far from unreasonable to expect it will feature independently whether the civ count is 48-53.

2) The EU:

This has been argued over and over and there are arguments on both sides, but it is not clearly the best thing to split up the EU mainland.

a) With the exception of the UK and some of the new accession states (e.g. Poland) most of Europe is incredibly ideologically aligned with regard to foreign policy. Granted, with 27 states the EU find it hard to agree much re defence, but to say they have very different distinct policies it not true, most are pretty kantian. The EU has a European Security and Defence Policy (ESDP), with the security pillar being in place since 1992 (from memory) and security missions enacted.

b) The EU is a massive and growing power, a counter balance to the US and China. To remove it and cut it up will emasculate it and is not representative of how EU trade (internal and external) and the EU economy functions.

3) ASEAN: ASEAN is much less integrated than the EU, but Mattygerst wants to represent this bloc, but not the EU? Doesn't make sense.

4) EU vs US vs China vs Russia: Why is this a problem? This is quite representative is it not? Having read Kai's city list i would not discount India, Brazil or Japan. I'd even fancied myself with Britain after a swift bit of recolonising. However I really agree with Joecoolyo that there are many factors that are to be taken into account before deciding on 'balance', if we are to decide that balance is more important than realism anyway which seems at odds with the notion of a 2009 mod.

Ultimately I'm not saying Matty has a bad map, although I don't agree it's quite as great as he's saying. I agree that the important thing is to get a release ASAP and I can't see how changing the map at this stage helps. I won't say anymore on the subject though, my opinion has been made clear.

I wanted to be able to compare the two properly so i am making the civ list for Matty's Map. after thinking about it a bit i do prefer Genghis's Civ list (but i personally would like a split up europe so i could play say germany and try and conquer the world (but obviously make it so the AI never do this)) We could always keep the XML for all the current civs and then once we have Finished Matty's Map (Most the Civs can just use the leaders/buildings/units from the civs they are made up from. i think once the map is complete and playable then we should focus on making a 60civ DLL (60 so there is room for some revolutions and a map with a plit up EU (could easily have 2)

Spoiler :
European Union (EU excluding UK)
United Kingdom (Jamaica, Belize, Bahamas, Trinidad)
Norway
Russia
Belarus
Ukraine
Turkey
Georgia

Morocco
Algeria (Tunisia)
Egypt
Sudan
Ethiopia
West African States (Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, Senegal, and Togo.)
Nigeria (Ghana, Liberia and Sierra Leone)
Central African States (Cameroon, São Tomé, Equatorial Guinea and Gabon)
Angola (DR Congo)
South Africa (Botswana and Namibia)
East African States (Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi)

Saudi Arabia
Israel
Palestine
Syria
Iran
Pakistan
Bangladesh
India

Kazakhstan
Mongolia
China
Taiwan
North Korea
South Korea
Japan

Myanmar
Thailand
Vietnam
Philippines
Indonesia
Australia (Papul New Guinea and some pacific islands)
New Zealand (some pacific islands)

Canada
United States (Iraq, Afghanistan)
Mexico
Colombia
Bolivarian Americas (Venezuela, Cuba, Bolivia, Nicaragua)
Peru
Brazil
Argentina
Chile

Neutral States (Switzerland, Turkmenistan and Costa Rica)

Minor States (Iceland, Croatia, Albania, Serbia, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, Libya, Cape Verde, Mozambique, Madagascar, Seychelles, Lebanon, Jordon, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Yemen, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Laos, Cambodia, Guatemala, Haiti, Guyana, Suriname, Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay)

Failed States (Mauritania, Guinea, Côte d'Ivoire, part of Mali, part of Niger, Central African Republic, Chad, part of DR Congo, Eritrea, Somalia, Darfur, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Uzbekistan, East Timor)

Spoiler :
1. European Union (East Balkans, Portugal, Ireland, Finland, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria)
2. United Kingdom (Jamaica, Belize, Bahamas, Trinidad, Falklands?)
3. France
4. Germany
5. Poland
6. Spain
7. Italy
8. NATO (Norway, Canada, Estonia, Lativa, Lithuania, Denmark, Iceland)
9. Russia
10. Belarus
11. Ukraine
12. Turkey

13. Morocco
14. Egypt
15. West African States (Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, Senegal, and Togo.)
16. Central African States (Cameroon, São Tomé, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Tunisia, 17. Nigeria, Ghana, Liberia and Sierra Leone)
18. South African States (Botswana and Namibia and South Africa)
19. East African States (Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi, Ethiopia)

I Have to go, i will finish later (Or someone else can)

In principle, I completely agree with the new list. Any other objections? If not, motion passed. Good, now who wants to change the civs XML to fit all of this in? Once that's done, we'll start testing it.

Well, the new list looks ok, we can't just change everything. If we switch over to this that means all of Genghis Kai's map work is lost, that means all of the UB's and UU's have to be redone, that mean we're going to have to fix all of the world relations that Adhesive started to work on. A whole years worth of work will be lost without even testing the old map.

As I've said before (and as Adhesive said above) lets stick with the old map for now, get it into beta and test out how it goes. If we find the EU is too powerful, or that we should reunite ASEAN, then we can change that later (that's the entire point of beta, to make sure everything works and is balanced). For now, too much work would be lost to just switch over on impulse to a new map.

Mattygerst, I'm not saying your map is bad... its a good map. Just this far into the process its too big of a overhaul, especially since we haven't even started testing.

I completely agree with Joecoolyo and Adhesive86. Mattygerst your map is great too and maybe it can be used sometimes in the future. But I really don't understand why (after a very long and extensive discussion, a poll and much work for the existing map) we should now change everything. Adhesive86 has brought up a couple of great arguments for the original map. Certainly there are also good argument for your new map, no doubt! But for the moment I think it would be much better to stick to the status quo. Otherwise we could start again to discuss, why and why not some civs (especially the EU) should or should not be implemented, but I think at this point that would be quite useless, because we already have had this discussion at length.

We should just go with the new map so we can move this along faster we need to get version 1 out before 2010

Civ, you've got the right idea. This idea is good, and as far as I'm concerned, it's close enough to our old list to be workable. There are many faults with the old list that are solved with this, but by no means am I saying it's perfect. I'm saying it's good enough, and let's plough on.

I've not written anything in here for quite a time since I didn't have any time to participate. But I've always been following the discussion on here (at times when there's been one).
But once I read this I have to say a word or two: I am aghast at these new plans. I completely agree with adhesive, joecoolyo and lord wolf. We have discussed this list over and over for months, balanced with all our combined knowledge. It turned out to be the best way to represent a realistic world. A lot of people spent a lot of effort doing this. And there is absolutely no reason to throw out the baby with the bathwater and completely redo the list.
Cutting three civs is the right way to go. Anything else means a lot of accomplished work (XML, UBs, UUs, Leaders, Relations...) is thrown away and a lot of new work needs to be done. This will further delay the release without any benefit.

Here's my quick plan to cut civs, discussed in MAP vote thread. I don't think this 'unbalances beyond belief':

1) Belarus ----> Russia
2) Sudan -----> Failed States
3) Angola (DR Congo)-----> Minor States OR Mongolia -----> Minor States

This isn't difficult, solves our problem and avoids 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater', which is otherwise EXACTLY what is happening. There is no way anyone can seriously argue that the addition of 2 cities in Belarus to Russia is going to unbalance the game or that Sudan or Angola are going to make much difference in failed and minor states either to the game or makeup of Africa. (The aim in Africa was to break it up, and we're still left with 11 civs there so it's still fractured)

Problem solved, merge GEM with revolutions civ dll (50 civ), which has already been done and shown to work twice by GEM modders...

Lets just do something. If the majority likes the new map go with the the new map. If not don't. Lets just decide on something instead of arguing for days

Well, arguing is part of the decision process. It doesn't work otherwise. Of course it's delaying. And that is exactly the reason why this box should not have been re-opened in the first place. :shake:

What I'm saying is take a vote like adhesive is doing and which ever one wins go with that instead of arguing for days on what to do

Okay, now that I've figured out once and for all how to incorporate everything into the map correctly and have the map work in terms of cities assigned to the correct civ, removing all unnecessary units, buildings, and that kind of stuff, we will get to the Final Civ List. A couple of these can be negotiated in and out, but some are staying because its entrenched into the map.

Civ List - Staying 100%:

Spoiler :
West: 7
USA
Canada
Mexico
Brazil
Argentina
Peru
Chile

Bolivarian Alliance: 1
Venezuela
Ecuador
Bolivia
Cuba
Honduras
Dominican Republic

Europe: 10
United Kingdom
Spain
France
Germany
Poland
Italy
Sweden
Turkey
Ukraine
Switzerland

NATO: 1
Norway
Iceland
Denmark
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania

European Union: 1
Belgium
Netherlands
Ireland
Portugal
Greece
Bulgaria
Romania
Czech Rep.
Austria
Hungary
Finland

Mediterranean Union: 1
Croatia
Albania
Serbia

N Africa: 4
Libya
Egypt
Morocco
Algeria

Africa East/Central/West/AU Alliances: 4

West: 1
Sierra Leone
Liberia
Cameroon
Togo
Nigeria

Central: 1
Mali
Niger
Zambia
Angola

East: 1
Tanzania
Mozambique
Ethiopia
Namibia

African Union: 1
South Africa
Tunisia
Senegal
Ghana

Middle East: 4
Saudi Arabia
Syria
Israel
Iran

Central Asia: 2
Russia & Belarus
CACO: - Tajikistan - Kazakhstan - Kyrgyzstan - Turkmenistan - Uzbekistan

West/South Asia: 2
Pakistan
India

SouthEast Asia: 4
China
Thailand
Indonesia
ASEAN- Vietnam -Philippines - Malaysia -Singapore

East Asia: 3
N Korea
S Korea
Japan

Australia/Oceania: 1
Australia & New Zealand

Minor States: 1
Paraguay
Uruguay
Guyana
Suriname
Cyprus
Kuwait
Oman
Costa Rica
Armenia
Georgia

Failed States: 1
African failed states
Madagascar
Iraq (US involvment)
Afghanistan (US involment)

That list of 100% in the mod totals: 46 (failed states does not equal a civ - and I'm 100% sure of this after learning how to create the map). Those countries, 100%, will be represented in the mod. That leaves us 4 more civs to either add, or break up from conglomerates above. The rest I will leave up to a short debate for those who care. Here are the possibilities/suggestions:

Add 4 civs:
Basically, in list form:
- Break down the EU more (see EU list above)
- Break down the Mediterranean Union
- Break down ASEAN more
- Separate Australia/New Zealand
- Separate Russia & Belarus (keeping in mind no Vassal States will be used in the mod to avoid major countries vassalizing the world on Turn #1 as in GEM 1940).
- Add in:
Colombia
Palestine
Jordan
Lebanon
Georgia
Armenia
or one of the other Minor States
-Keep 4 civ slots open and play with Revolutions on and chance a civ breaking up under revolution and spawing new civs.
-Your thoughts/ideas

This needs to be done by Friday this week. Whatever we do, we have room for 4 more civilizations.

Okay, now that I've figured out once and for all how to incorporate everything into the map correctly and have the map work in terms of cities assigned to the correct civ, removing all unnecessary units, buildings, and that kind of stuff, we will get to the Final Civ List. A couple of these can be negotiated in and out, but some are staying because its entrenched into the map.

Civ List - Staying 100%:

Spoiler :
West: 7
USA
Canada
Mexico
Brazil
Argentina
Peru
Chile

Bolivarian Alliance: 1
Venezuela
Ecuador
Bolivia
Cuba
Honduras
Dominican Republic

United Kingdom
Spain
France
Germany
Poland
Italy
Sweden
Turkey
Ukraine
Switzerland

NATO: 1
Norway
Iceland
Denmark
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania

European Union: 1
Belgium
Netherlands
Ireland
Portugal
Greece
Bulgaria
Romania
Czech Rep.
Austria
Hungary
Finland

Mediterranean Union: 1
Croatia
Albania
Serbia

Libya
Egypt
Morocco
Algeria

Africa East/Central/West/AU Alliances: 4

West: 1
Sierra Leone
Liberia
Cameroon
Togo
Nigeria

Central: 1
Mali
Niger
Zambia
Angola

East: 1
Tanzania
Mozambique
Ethiopia
Namibia

African Union: 1
South Africa
Tunisia
Senegal
Ghana

Saudi Arabia
Syria
Israel
Iran

Russia & Belarus
CACO: - Tajikistan - Kazakhstan - Kyrgyzstan - Turkmenistan - Uzbekistan

Pakistan
India

China
Thailand
Indonesia
ASEAN- Vietnam -Philippines - Malaysia -Singapore

N Korea
S Korea
Japan

Australia & New Zealand

Minor States: 1
Paraguay
Uruguay
Guyana
Suriname
Cyprus
Kuwait
Oman
Costa Rica
Armenia
Georgia

Failed States: 1
African failed states
Madagascar
Iraq (US involvment)
Afghanistan (US involment)

That list of 100% in the mod totals: 46 (failed states does not equal a civ - and I'm 100% sure of this after learning how to create the map). Those countries, 100%, will be represented in the mod. That leaves us 4 more civs to either add, or break up from conglomerates above. The rest I will leave up to a short debate for those who care. Here are the possibilities/suggestions:

Add 4 civs:
Basically, in list form:
- Break down the EU more (see EU list above)
- Break down the Mediterranean Union
- Break down ASEAN more
- Separate Australia/New Zealand
- Separate Russia & Belarus (keeping in mind no Vassal States will be used in the mod to avoid major countries vassalizing the world on Turn #1 as in GEM 1940).
- Add in:
Colombia
Palestine
Jordan
Lebanon
Georgia
Armenia
or one of the other Minor States
-Keep 4 civ slots open and play with Revolutions on and chance a civ breaking up under revolution and spawing new civs.
-Your thoughts/ideas

This needs to be done by Friday this week. Whatever we do, we have room for 4 more civilizations.

1)

Definitely:
- Add Colombia

- Add Palestine

Should:

- Add Georgia

- Add New Zealand

5th choice would be a Belarus (Russia defence pact)

Also,

2) - Change 'Mediterranean Union' to 'Balkan Union'. This is just a better, more accurate name.

3) - Not happy with South Africa (a nuclear power) in same civ as a north african country, but unless someone agrees i'll leave this as i know you're trying to fragment Africa. Nevertheless South Africa is a large regional power. To change it i would:

- Merge Tunisia into Algeria

- Senegal = Minor

- Ghana = Minor or another union

- South Africa Independent, incorporating some other southern states e.g. Mozambique.

Ps also the NATO civ has no teeth whatsoever, so I wonder if there's any point in it? I think they should be split along Scandinavian (Iceland, Norway, Denmark) and Baltic (Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia) lines. If no extra civ slots then put the Baltic in the EU, and Scandinavian independent. Or create 5 civ slots by just putting them all in the EU. (yes I know Iceland and Norway are not yet in the EU, but they are in EFTA and are as much EU as Belarus is Russia etc).

I don't see a problem with a Scandinavian Alliance civ (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Greenland).

Nordic then. I'm never clear on other people's names for themselves.

Some quick reflections along with a couple thought:

Adhesive:
We do have 4 civ slots, but we really are pressed for room, obviously.
Mediterranean Union was used over Balkan Union for the simple fact that it is a name of a union that actually exists that I read about regarding those states. But, doesn't matter to me to change it.

You mention we 'should' add Georgia. Well, Tbilisi (capital of Georgia), and Baku (capital of Azerbaijan) are both currently "Minor Nations" and play an important role of separating Russia from Turkey thru the Caucasus Mountains. We could add those 2 countries as a "Caucasus Union". And give them good relations with the USA (and probably EU).

Total Civ count: 46+1 = 47.

Definitely add: Colombia & Palestine: Total Civ Count: 47+2 = 49.

Okay, now we get one more Civ. Regarding NATO. I FULLY agree with you that NATO has zero power, whatsoever. The only thing that was having me leave it as is, was giving them the standard defensive pact with EU and USA. That would inhibit countries with attack them. I also know that Norway wants no part of it as I've read. I also didn't want to really make an all-powerful EU for gameplay reasons, but those states are not exactly going to break the bank. Do we leave Greenland as a Minor State? But, we can bite the bullet, and add all of NATO to the EU.

Total Civs: 49-1 = 48

Next was South Africa. We simply split up South Africa from the rest of the Africa. We would also move Tunisia from that union and merge with Algeria. Ghana becomes a failed state. Senegal merges with the Central African Alliance.

Total Civs: 48 (no change, simply shuffling)

List Form:
Add: Caucasus Union (2 cities, good relations with USA) = 1 Civ
Add: Colombia & Palestine = 2 Civs
Remove: NATO & combine with EU
Separate: South Africa from AU to make independent
Combine: Tunisia & Algeria, and Senegal to CAA
Failed: Ghana

Unless my counting is way off, this leaves us with 48 civs and room for 2 more slots. Belarus is such a garbage country, its almost better just leaving them in Russia full time. They're like their babysitter anyway.

Other suggestions/ideas welcome. Adding 2 more civs should not be hard. I'm a bit skeptical to separate New Zealand & Australia simply because New Zealand is not exactly a playable country with world impact, but also is more in union with Australia than being a Minor State at war with everyone. We could use the final 2 civ slots to break down Africa even more, to really fracture it. But, if anything, lets try to stay on track. We've got the bulk of this done and I'm inclined to agree with Adhesive's ideas & plan on incorporating them as of right now as I've written above.

***I think, honestly, we should leave these 2 slots OPEN. So that we can use it for balancing in the future if we need to break up a civ for balancing***

Ideas for the other 2 civ slots:
-Remove 2 of the EU states and make them independent civs
-Break up ASEAN by making Malaysia & Philippies fully independent and moving Singapore either into alliance with someone, or making Singapore a Minor State as well as Vietnam.
-Fracture Africa more

Non-Official List:
Spoiler :
West: 8
USA - Barack Obama - CHM/EXP
Canada - Stephen Harper - FIN/ORG
Mexico - Felipe Calderon - CHM/SPI
Brazil - Lula da silva - SPI/CRE
Argentina - Cristina Kirchner - SPI/PRO
Peru - Alan Garica - PHI/PRO
Chile - Michelle Bachelet - ORG/EXP
Colombia - Alvaro Uribe - ORG/IND

Bolivarian Alliance: 1 - Hugo Chavez - IMP/SPI
Venezuela
Ecuador
Bolivia
Cuba
Honduras
Dominican Republic

UK - Gordon Brown - FIN/PRO
Spain - Jose Zapatero - EXP/CRE
France - Nicolas Sarkozy - CHA/PRO
Germany - Angela Merkel - FIN/IND
Poland - Donald Tusk - EXP/PRO
Italy - Silvio Berlusconi - CHA/FIN
Sweden - Fredrik Reinfeldt - FIN/ORG
Turkey - Recep Erdogan - PRO/IND
Ukraine - Yulia Tymoshenko - PRO/IMP
Switzerland - Hans Merz - ind/fin

European Union: 1 - Peter Balkenende - EXP/ORG
Belgium
Netherlands
Ireland
Portugal
Greece
Bulgaria
Romania
Czech Rep.
Austria
Hungary
Finland
Norway
Iceland
Denmark
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania

Mediterranean Union: 1 - Stipe Mesic CHM/ORG
Croatia
Albania
Serbia

Caucasus Union: 1
Georgia
Azerbaijan

Libya - Muammar al-Gaddafi - AGG/SPI
Egypt - Hosni Mubarak - PRO/CRE
Morocco - Abbas el Fassi - PRO/PHI
Algeria - Abdelaziz Bouteflika - SPI/PHI

Africa East/Central/West Alliances: 3
West: 1 - Umaru Yar Adua - FIN/PRO
Sierra leone
Liberia
Cameroon
Togo
Nigeria
Central: 1 - Jose dos Santos - IMP/EXP
Mali
Niger
Zambia
Angola
Senegal
East: 1 - Meles Zenawi - EXP/AGG
Tanzania
Mozambique
Ethiopia
namibia

South Africa: 1
South Africa - Jacob Zuma - ORG/CHM

Saudi Arabia - King Abdullah - FIN/PHI
Syria - Bashar al Assad - SPI/IMP
Israel - Benjamin Netanjahu - PRO/EXP
Iran - Mahmoud Ahmadinejad - AGG/IMP
Palestine -

Russia - Belarus - Vladimir Putin - IMP/FIN
CACO: - Kassym Tokayev - ORG/PHI - Tajikistan - Kazakhstan - Kyrgyzstan - Turkmenistan -Uzbekistan

Pakistan - Asif Zardari - AGG/SPI
India - Manmohan Singh - FIN/SPI

China: 1 - Wen Jiabao - FIN/IMP
Thailand: 1 - Bhumibol Adulyadej - IND/CRE
Indonesia: 1 - Susilo Yudhoyono - EXP/ORG
ASEAN: 1 - S.R. Nathan - FIN/ORG
Vietnam
Philippines
Malaysia
Singapore

N Korea - Kim Yong Il - AGG/IMP
S Korea - Lee Myung Bak - FIN/IND
Japan - Taro Aso - ORG/IND

Australia - Kevin Rudd - CHM/CRE

Ghana by no means is a failed state!!! In fact it is as far away from a failed state as you can get these days and an emerging local power. It is the most promising democracy in Western Africa.

Top Bottom