Oxford and Advance Flight

the quickest way is to get steam then industialization. u need at least 1 prereq and those are the easiest to get. If you skip steam power and just get industrialization by tech jumping, I've often found that it won't give you Advanced flight.

yeah, as long as you don't get a lot of other techs, then the percentage drops. Otherwise, if your highest tech is industrialization, then you will get advanced flight.

if you get mass production you get Superconductor
if you get corporation you get networking
if you get mass media you get globalization

there are other possibilties depending on what techs you have when you build oxford u.

but in general, you just need to know what techs you got the prereqs for. It will always give you the highest tech that you have a prereq for.

Would this make the Romans strong? Getting Bombers pretty much wins the game I think.

doing this at the right time would be strong. I've never said the romans are weak, just that they are not in the top 5 in my book, but they are in the top 6 if they are not in the top 5. I used to always list them in my top 5, but I've found other civs that have an easier and more consistent time at winning the game than the romans.

bombers don't always mean you win. I won a game last night where I didn't even get flight, and they got bombers, I still held them off for 15 turns while I got the economic win. But in general, bombers are nice, you've just gotta have the ground troops ready to take over and get those bombers out fast, which usually with the romans I try to have at least 2-3 production cities, so this typically isn't a problem.

for 75 hammers in the late industrial or early modern, getting advanced flight is nice. But getting to that point in the game is the challenge. If you can get industrialization, and the other guy is staying with you or beating you in tech, that means he'll probably have combustion about the same time, most likely before. Leonardo's workshop is easy to pull off about this time for the Romans though, so they usually have good counters.

the critical point in the game for the romans is usally the early land grab. If you can't secure enough space to expand to, then you're gonna have to fight for pieces of land, or rush their cities. This isn't ideal, and it's more beneficial if they have a lot of space to expand to, parts of the map to choke off, and islands to settle later (I usually focus on the mainland for a while with them).

doing this at the right time would be strong. I've never said the romans are weak, just that they are not in the top 5 in my book, but they are in the top 6 if they are not in the top 5. I used to always list them in my top 5, but I've found other civs that have an easier and more consistent time at winning the game than the romans.

bombers don't always mean you win. I won a game last night where I didn't even get flight, and they got bombers, I still held them off for 15 turns while I got the economic win. But in general, bombers are nice, you've just gotta have the ground troops ready to take over and get those bombers out fast, which usually with the romans I try to have at least 2-3 production cities, so this typically isn't a problem.

for 75 hammers in the late industrial or early modern, getting advanced flight is nice. But getting to that point in the game is the challenge. If you can get industrialization, and the other guy is staying with you or beating you in tech, that means he'll probably have combustion about the same time, most likely before. Leonardo's workshop is easy to pull off about this time for the Romans though, so they usually have good counters.

the critical point in the game for the romans is usally the early land grab. If you can't secure enough space to expand to, then you're gonna have to fight for pieces of land, or rush their cities. This isn't ideal, and it's more beneficial if they have a lot of space to expand to, parts of the map to choke off, and islands to settle later (I usually focus on the mainland for a while with them).

Land grabbing is a problem for any expansive civ. This kind of statement is no different for the chinese. Unless your horse rushing with the chinese than again I think this doesnt work against GOOD players. Land Grabbing might be the easiest for the romans because they focus on expanding from turn one and never worry about COL. There fore all I need is Bronze Iron Irrigation and Currency. If I get a normal start meaning I get 100 gold I can usually have 6 cities as fast as 16 turns which is lightning fast and eventually be the first to all those techs. If im the first to Irrigation I already have 6 chinese size cities. The chinese can do this too but your gonna sacrafice more because you need 2 grass working the same time for 5 turns with a tree. Basically your locked to the grass for 3 more turns. Thats y in alot of cases chinese players go straight for COL. I could already have 10 cities by the time you reach COL. But in any case the chinese are always strong.

You confuse me grayson when you say the romans are not in your top 5 :confused:

But your one of the good players out there thats y your opinion is always backed.

Ban the relics and artifacts on RANKED its simply ******ed already.:nuke:

Btw Romans are consistent just not easy. If you cant be consistent with them than thats your problemo.

yeah, the big difference in the chinese expanding right away from the romans expanding right away is you need more turns to be able to produce another settler after producing a settler in a city. But this is made up for by having the extra pop. Plus after 5 techs the chinese get literacy, so it's just free tech fast and easy.

Yeah, any civ needs land to expand well, but the chinese adapt a little quicker to any kind of game they want to play. I don't usually horserush with the chinese anymore unless the map is just great about giving me gold and there's some weak civs next to me. It's a lot smarter just to spend 5 turns on 2 sea +1 forest, and at 3500BC you have your first archer. I actually delay this a little bit and get at a least one warrior out in two turns, sometimes more depending on who's on the map.

But general it's no more than 30 turns to Code of Laws, and I usually try to get about 4-5 cities by that time. Then expanding is on like gangbusters. Irrigation is usually easy to get with the chinese as well, then go for Code of Laws. Just depends on who is there. 14 techs are usually had before the BC ends, or right around 0 AD, then half price libraries pushes you to the modern in just a few short turns.

The Romans take skill to play, and if a rusher power civ gets a good start (which happens frequently if there are a lot of Americans, Zulu, Aztecs, Chinese, Arabs), on of your opponnets will usually have a favorable map or some luck. The Romans can usually hold their own against rushers, but it's a lot harder to claim the map if you start next to a rusher with a good start.

The problem with the Romans is it just takes time, effort, and skill to pull off a win. You won't get many early wins with them, unless you just start rocking cats, legions, or get early knights. It's usually a slow going process of expanding, defending and counterattacking fiercely, and then wonder building, starting to produce a lot of trade, and figure out how to land a deathblow. They have a lot of options, it just takes time, and if you aren't on your game, little mix ups can be costly. They typically need a longer game than most civs, and the longer your enemies live, the higher the chance is that they are gonna bring something powerful too.

But don't worry about my personal top 5. I'm not saying they suck. I really like the Spanish, and others don't agree with me on how powerful they are. That's ok, maybe they are right.

I guess you can call me a good player, but I know several players that I think are better and more consistent that me. Especially in FFA. I started on PS3, and FFA was so buggy and took forever to find a matchup, so I have more expirience in H2H, which is more about luck and just beating one player to the punch. I still have a lot to work on, and my skill varies from night to night. Some nights I just can't lose, and other nights I'm making n00b mistakes and basically just beating myself.

I wouldn't care one way or the other if Artifacts were in the game for MP or not. I think they fit the mold of what the game is trying to accomplish, providing lots of swings in momentum and stacking bonuses to keep the game intresting. Sometimes if the Zulu find the pyramid early, then it really sucks. But it's not that big a deal a lot of times if others get the artifacts. Lots of players squander what they get from them anyway.

What I want for Civ Rev 2 is just an option to have no bonuses for civs at all. Just play the game vanilla, and try your best to go from there.

I personally want the artifacts and first to bonuses gone. These aspects often give the game to one player.

Top Bottom