Civ IV: BTS on Windows 7 x64

kiwitt

Road to War Modder
I am currently using Windows 7 RC x86 at work and am impressed with the speed.

I currently have Windows Vista Home Premium x64 (i7) and am considering upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate x64. In this upgrade I can do an in-place upgrade and not have to re-install my game.

Am I right in assuming that if it works in Vista x64 it is very likely to work in Windows 7. i.e. Windows 7 is effectively Windows 6.1 and Vista is 6.0, like Windows 2000 is Windows 5.0 and XP is 5.1. (internally)

I've been running the W7 x64 RC for several months and BTS works flawlessly for me. I'm very impressed with the stability of W7 in general.

I'm making the same gamble as you are, if my pre-order ever gets here. :D

From everything I've read, Windows 7 64 will run BTS just as flawlessly as Vista 64 does, so I'm not worried about it. I'm going to dual boot for a while anyway, but I really don't anticipate any problems other than even more hardware/BIOS issues from my stupid, worthless, lazy, inept, uncaring, irresponsible, ineffective, motherboard manufacturer!!! :mad:

Sorry, I digress...

I currently have Windows Vista Home Premium x64 (i7) and am considering upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate x64. In this upgrade I can do an in-place upgrade and not have to re-install my game.
I think anyone that has ever done a Windows OS upgrade (and some Linux ones too) will tell you to avoid it if possible. I have done it in the past because a scanner needed the Windows 2000 driver which could only be installed install in W2K but was usable later in Windows XP if you did an upgrade- I dealt with all the issues (lots of CTD) until the Windows XP driver came out.

tl;dr: Unless you absolutely need to, make backup of data, install from scratch, restore data.

All my data is on external drive(s) on in the "Cloud" (e.g. Mail) already. Only use the Desktop disk for OS, Games and Applications.

So I'll do a clean install then.

I can't get BTS to run on my Win7x64.
CIV IV basic works just fine though.

Everything is patched to its latest driver/patch. Troubleshooting now. If I find the problem, I'll repost here.

My problem was that I updated drivers after the initial install.

I uninstalled the game, deleted everything out of the directories (some stuff was saved) and searched through the registry to remove all civilization references.

I reinstalled CIV4, patched it. Installed BTS. Patched it.

Everything runs well now.

Top Bottom