civ IV with windows 7

it works, just you need to tweak your directx9 dll a little bit, im running civ4bts on my win7 64

win7 - 64. runs great. do not install in 'Program files'. suggest making a 'games' directory for all game installs. bypasses a lot of issues playimg with mods.

It asks me if I "want to allow the following program to make changes to my computer"... the program is setup.exe and I am just wondering exactly what "changes" these are... :confused:

The changes are to install Civ 4, don't worry about it. Windows 7 asks me that question every time I try to do anything. I have come to the conclusion that windows 7 is paranoid. Strangely though it still can't stop my parents installing all kinds of spyware that I have to clean off every time I visit.

I would recommend not installing Civ 4 in your 'c:\program files' folder. Make a folder called 'c:\games' or something and put it in there. Specially if you want to use mods.

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but I couldn't get Civ4 to work on my Win7 laptop... run as admin didn't work and it kept saying to insert the disk, but the Disk 2/Play was already in there. Then I put Disk 1/install in and voila! it worked! I still get a compatibility issue message, but I just click "run program" and it starts right up. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Thats cause they made an error when they shipped civ4 the install disk was the play disk!

Just got a Windows 7 system. Only a coincidence that it happened just after the Civ 5 announcement. Honest!

Heh... I usually time my purchase of a new system whenever a new civ comes out. I admit it..
Anyway, after a false start with a bad mother board, Civ4 is up and running on my Windows 7 system. Given the horrible state of the system that finally died, Civ4 is not only up and running, but zipping along like I have never gotten to experience before.

It flies on mine as well, I just get this weird error message about a voice capture device I have to click three times when the menu opens.

I found elsewhere that I had to get the latest patch for Civ before it would work...:blush:

It flies on mine as well, I just get this weird error message about a voice capture device I have to click three times when the menu opens.

Yeah, I get that too, exactly what you said... but hey, who cares as long as it works! :D

I'm running Civ4 on a machine that used to run Windows XP 32bit, and now runs Windows 7 64bit. I haven't noticed any difference.

I've just got a new computer with windows 7, and I'm trying to install civilization 4. It says there are compatability issues, and I would like further advice if possible. I've searched on google and discovered that lots of other people have had the same problems.

So far I've installed direct x 9 (c?) the one that came on the DVD with the game.
I've gone to Firaxis games and got the latest patch for civ 4. (Not sure if I was meant to install it or do anything with it, it didn't seem to run, and currently I've moved it into the civ 4 patch folder that was installed when the game was installed.)
I've installed the latest windows 7 updates.
I've installed direct x enduser runtime.
I've tried running civ 4 in compatability mode with windows XP SP2 and 3.
I've tried running it as an administrator.

The only advice that I've seen that I haven't done is not to install it in the program files folder, as it was already installed there when I discovered the problem.

Following Lemon's link to microsoft compatability checker, it now says that civilisation 4 is NOT compatable with 64 bit windows 7.

I also haven't tried unistalling it and reinstalling it as I can't find an uninstall program. I could just delete it, and try again, but would that mean that a footprint is left on the register which might confuse the compatability even more?

All I can get is when you tried to run civ 4 it gets the green bar about a quarter of the way across, saying "xml" in the window above it, then it fails to go any further. That is the same point it has always failed at.

Any further suggestions?

(..)
Following Lemon's link to microsoft compatability checker, it now says that civilisation 4 is NOT compatable with 64 bit windows 7.
(..)

I wouldn't put my money on the compatibility checker. A lot of stuff that is there has been tested once or twice by interns and that is it.

I'm running windows 7 (64 bit), I have Civ 4 and all expansions. Works like a charm.

Uninstall Civ IV and place it in C:\Games

I haven't had any problems running Civ 4 on Windows 7 64-bit. However, I did have a minor issue when I tried to install it in a non-administrator account. I had to temporarily make it an administrator account, then install Civ 4, and then change it back to a normal account. I think the patches also required an administrator account to install correctly.

I have not had any issues whatsoever after installing Civ in the Program Files (x86) folder.

Just for reference, Civ4 Vanilla is "not compatible" until it is completely patched and up to date. You also must download the latest DirectX 9 runtime from Microsoft before it will run properly in Win 7 x 64.

My playing and BAT developing machine is running Win 7 x 64, and I have the game installed in \Program Files (x86)\Firaxis... Just like everyone says not to, and it's been going fine for over a year, with nary a hiccup. (Unless I break something by modding. :) )

The incompatibility issue has been beaten to death, and it is simply not true. You need a couple of extra steps to get it going, but it IS compatible.

Top Bottom