Current (SVN) development discussion thread

Fair enough.

I think with the addition of a Prosecutor at least things would become more realistic.

Meanwhile, I think we should at least remove "Zoroastrian Monastery" and "Confucian Monastery" because they are simply absurd.

edit: just realized you said monasteries not missionaries. I had an argument about missionaries, but it doesn't really apply to monasteries except insofar as they allow missionaries, and only when not running OR.

^ Actually "Confucian Missionary" is no less absurd a concept. But I do realize that they are necessary due to the game mechanics.

If we remove Confucian/Zoroastrian Monasteries we could simple allow their Temples/Cathedrals to build Missionaries.

But even that is not necessary, because:

(1) Confucianism auto-spreads with a very high probability to all its historical areas already - it's Taoism that you need Missionaries for;

(2) Zoroastrianism already auto-spreads far beyond its historical area and influence IMO.

^ Actually "Confucian Missionary" is no less absurd a concept. But I do realize that they are necessary due to the game mechanics.

If we remove Confucian/Zoroastrian Monasteries we could simple allow their Temples/Cathedrals to build Missionaries.

But even that is not necessary, because:

(1) Confucianism auto-spreads with a very high probability to all its historical areas already - it's Taoism that you need Missionaries for;

(2) Zoroastrianism already auto-spreads far beyond its historical area and influence IMO.

For gameplay purposes, I would not like to see Confucian/Zoroastrian Monasteries/Missionaries removed.
I played a game of India recently, and while not compulsory, founding Zoroastrianism & spreading missionaries reduces some of the strain in fulfilling the UHV condition.
Confucian Missionaries, likewise, are instrumental in helping to spread it to newly conquered regions like Corea & Japan.

I would suggest an Arab UP-like effect for Confucianism, that is, if a civilization holds the Confucian Holy City,
then all conquered or founded cities automatically get Confucianism, but I fear it would overlap too much.

All religions had some forms of religious learning, "monastery" is just the generic word for buildings that represent this.

Playing as the Maya i realized that the city state civic is worthless for my city setup
Spoiler :

All my cities lie out of the capital's third circle. All of them are founded 3 squares from the capital and are indeed overlaping. Now the civilization called "Mayan City-states" can't actualy benefit from city states:p

Therefor i suggest that the city state radius affect all cities founded in the green radius. I doubt it will significantly increase the civic power, as it will be switched out regardless.
Edit: For clarification
- The red line indicates the third circle around my capital.
- The green lina shows suggested area of effect.
- The numbers are there to show the actual distance from capital.

These cities are in the third ring around your capital. Don't they get the effect?

No Leoreth, they're not in the third ring:

EDIT: NO! You removed the good canal, Leoreth! I just noticed that!

Attachments

• s4s0nm2.jpg
    s4s0nm2.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 107
These cities are in the third ring around your capital. Don't they get the effect?

That's fourth ring actually (you should clearly up it to four rings)

Oh, you're right.

I've edited my post to make it more clear.

Let me know if some changes are made to the city states so I can continue the game :)

Can't agree more with the changes made to Yucatan. The hill blocking the channel is gift from heaven, as the city heavily lacked production after Aztec spawn. And I was moving the fish to Oxlimché reach even in previous version ;)

p.s. There seems to be something wrong with the tobacco square in Cuba. The region is displayed like missing localization.

But a lot of Maya's production issues are better solved by sending
Settlers up towards North America.
I would personally like to see Huaxacayac remain as a strategic canal.

Naturaly the best strategy as Maya would be to send the 2nd settler up and start settling central and western USA. But I like to roleplay and that means staying at Yucatan at least until Aztec spawn.
Why the hell would i want to play a historical mod if i squat all my neighbours or use similar gamey strategies?:crazyeye:

New commit is up. Changes:
Spoiler :
  • players cannot declare war on recently (re)spawned civs
  • reduced number of Spanish colonists, they already reliably get Mexico and Peru now
  • reduced Agrarianism bonus to +1 commerce for Pastures and Plantation
  • removed +25% corporation commerce from Free Market
  • Free Market now has a risk of great depression, instead of Capitalism
  • respawned civs are now immune to collapse for the next ten turns
  • plague doesn't reduce cottages by one level anymore (except towns), but it destroys all progress to the next level
  • fixed first contact Mongol hordes spawning in cities
  • Electricity only adds +1 commerce to watermills
  • All cottages worked by a city where people migrate to due to the American UP increase in level
  • The time between the American UP effects now depends on their civics (Republic, Capitalism, Free Market and Secularism help)
  • Hurrying production with gold is now 25% cheaper for everyone except the civ with the highest commerce output [make cash hurrying more effective without opening exploits]
  • helped AI America and Russia along to expand to their historical "frontiers"
  • wars and peace with minor civs are now disregarded by the AI while considering to become a vassal
  • minor civs don't use nukes anymore
  • Free Market only provides +25% trade route commerce
  • Capitalism now gives +10% commerce
  • Spanish conquistadors now only get +50% attack vs. Swordsmen, Axemen, Spearmen and Macemen instead of all melee units

It's ten turns, and affects AIs too. And where did I mention map changes?

In the SVN update the maps seem to be updated as well. Or I might be mistaken. Also did you fix the bug with the Great Sphinx?

Top Bottom