God & Kings Screenshot Analysis

I'm looking forward to the Byzantine one. Leaving aside my obvious anxiousness about finding out who it is, Byzantine throne rooms are really cool looking.

ETA: Better than even odds they use something that resembles this

However, Justinian here and Alexios have it pretty good too.

What is the symbol behind 'Antwerp', the blue-white triangle? (top left behind Christian symbol)
http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/images/9/2012/02/47211b5983250e7cd50dc35618e3a685.jpg

Is that in vanilla too?

I think it's a safe bet to say that's the symbol for a Mercantile CS. It's in the same place as the Cultural/Maritime/Militaristic symbols at present, has a striking similarity to the trade route icon, and would fit Antwerp's historical character as a trading port.

There's been something bugging me about the use of the Pictish warrior in the screenshot given. Given the vast spread of the Celts over Europe, I can't help feeling that it's...well, quite specific. Why not the Celtic warrior or a Celtic name for the warrior? A few possibilities:
01. I'm wrong. The most likely possibility!
02. There's the Celts and the Picts or Britons (led by Boudicca).
03. It's part of a scenario.

I appreciate that Cardiff and Dublin have been seen as (presumably) Celtic cities...if there were the Picts in there as well (which I doubt) or even the Scots, then they could have captured those cities.

End of wild speculation!!

I think the Pictish Warrior is a spearman replacement, and I don't think they scaled the combat strength as linearly as Monthar said. My speculation is that the HP boost is primarily to increase damage "fidelity" (which would still make them last longer, no more 10% minimum damage) and the later units got a larger strength boost to accommodate the WWI era stuff.

Three times: "THIS!"

Even more, I've got the impression that people mix up the relation of health increase and the increase of strength. I think, there is *no* direct relation between both!

First of all, we don't have any indication that increasing the unit's strength will be linear - even more - it wouldn't be reasonable neither. (The "11-strength-Pict Warrior" even may indicate an other "stretching formula".)

- A unequal stretched strength range will allow WWI units to fit in, just as Scarpa mentioned.

- Secondly, this will allow less wired battle outcomes, if early and modern units fight each other, as damage can be more gradual now. (*This* goes hand in hand with the new 100 HP after all.)

But this is *not related* to the mentioned "longer lasting battles"!

- Damage is not dealt by sheer strength, but by the comparison of the attacker's and defender's strength. So, you even could have a strength 500 unit - as long as it fights against their exact counterpart, it will just deal (recently) 50% of the max health damage.

- To grant longer battles, all you have to do is to reformulate the "damage math".
Recently, two units equal in strength will do 5 HP of damage to each other (so, 50% of their max. health points). To make battles longer, you may just lower the max. damage percentage to 30% or 40% (or whatever you might think as adequate).

- Again, the 100 HP just will grant the possibility for more accurate results. Not more and not less!

There's been something bugging me about the use of the Pictish warrior in the screenshot given. Given the vast spread of the Celts over Europe, I can't help feeling that it's...well, quite specific. [...]

The Maori Warrior or the Cossaks are also quite specific, so I'd not read anything into that.
Depending on the time frame, it might also be a part of the medieval scenario.

Hey guys
I think I they also have the Leaning Tower of Pisa wonder since at the bottom of the espionage overview pic they show the city of Orleans where there is a cylindrical type building above the city bar which looks a lot like the Pisa tower.

Hey guys
I think I they also have the Leaning Tower of Pisa wonder since at the bottom of the espionage overview pic they show the city of Orleans where there is a cylindrical type building above the city bar which looks a lot like the Pisa tower.

Good spot! It doesn't look like anything else in the game so far, and you're right, it looks a hell of a lot like the Leaning Tower...

Yeah, it would be nice if it leaned more wouldn't it?

Alternatively, if it stood straight when you built it, but slowly leaned over several turns :p

Still, I can't think of anything else it could be.

And also, besides the Mayan, Celts, Dutch, Carthaginian and Byzantines the other four civs in the expansion pack could be:
  • Ethiopia
  • Holy Rome
  • Sumeria
  • Zulu
since I think there are bringing the same 34 civs from civ 4 to civ 5 except they replaced:
  • the Native Americans with the Iroquois
  • Portugal with Polynesia
  • Khmer with Siam
  • Mali with Songhai

Hey guys

Nice one! It does have a lean, I think it's the perspective making it look otherwise. For those that haven't seen it, it's directly to the left of the Worker icon in Orleans

I know that this is *not* a game relevant change - but did anybody notice the change in UI design? (Not the functionality, of course, but the appearance?)

It is way more "flowery" and playful now in comparison to the original design. Maybe a little bit more into the Art Deco-style that was intended right from the beginning. But then, Art Deco may have very clear lines, too. (But I'm definitely no expert here!)

Yes, you are definitely right, the flower ornaments are way more into the baroque style than Art Deco! Art Deco usually is a little bit "lighter" and more gracile. That's a little bit irritating, as the ornaments are just added to the already existing frames - which leads to some sort of style mix.

But then, it's not the most important issue after all...

Top Bottom