Civilization VI : in the making ?

I kind of want a 3rd expansion for Civ5 after BNW, because surprisingly, it feels like Firaxis can do more and they've done a great job of really making Civ5 an amazing experience.

G&K expanded on the early game with religion, BNW ostensibly expands on the latter half but really, Atomic/Information era is more or less the same as before, BNW just re-aligns the politics at Modern era inflection and there's now tourism to manage.

If it its going to be a later game mechanic post ideologies, they can bring back Corporations but with something that isn't just a reskinned religion mechanic, and perhaps more substantive that interacts with your diplomacy. ideology, soft power and economy. There could also be information war mechanics and more UN shenanigans, especially around City state influence/pledges to protect and how they could relate to modern diplomacy vis-a-vis what's going on in Syria right now.

I even have a title for it!

Civilization V: Into the Future

Era-wise, Civ V is complete - they had a 'past' expansion (although it wasn't marketed or designed as an "early game" expansion, just 'reimagined' that way in publicity when they chose the direction for BNW), and a 'modern' expansion. And any expansion focusing on a timeframe later than BNW's would for the most part be a waste of time, since it would be on a game stage when the victor has already been decided.

Any third expansion should be more holistic, and look at 'empire management' broadly defined - saying "okay, we've now got a base game that covers all game stages, how can we give the player more control over the way they develop as a civ, through all game stages?"

They need to make civ6 run smoothly and make unit management and warfare not a gigantic pain in the butt. First civ5 runs very poorly even on high end machines. On a non solid state harddrive it takes several minutes just to go from play button on steam to actually starting a game. Why? Civ5 resource files can't be that big, none of my other games take multiple minutes to start up. Loading a big map takes forever to. Delay between turns late game takes forever. This is simply unacceptable and shouldn't be blamed on graphics etc. One of the best things about civ4 was it ran great on a fast machine, aside from a from a few custom maps of gigantic size. Civ5 doesn't run well on any machine, or at least not as well as you'd expect.

Second, regarding warfare and unit management, 1upt ruined civ5. Not because 1upt is a bad concept (conceptually it's not) or introducing tactics to civ5 wasn't good (just depends on your preferences), but because it requires so much micromanagement just to move your armies across the world. You can just click where to move, wait 5 turns and then command the unit to attack because at the end of every turn half your units are blocked, because of the stupid 1upt rule, and thus you have to tell them to wait or move them elsewhere. It's just stupid and makes games beyond tedious. Every single time I try to play civ5 it ends in frustration for me because of this. The building and expanding phase is really fun, any kind of warfare blows. I guess you can go into space or win diplomatically or whatever and avoid war, but civ games have always been about the thrill of conquering the world and civ5 was the first one to turn thrilling into chilling.

Top Bottom