End of Empires - N3S III

Oh well. Hmmm I'll wait till the list is updated then. Or just stick me somewhere that could use a player. I am easy.

Dug through my inbox, and found that I was giving diplomacy as the Eso Soggo Clan a while ago. So either I guess I should play as the Eso Soggo, or the people I sent the diplomacy to should just pretend the messages were from the Swenit Jiressa. I guess Kentharu can decide whether he wants to let me get the Eso Soggo back or if I should just use the Swenit Jiressa Clan.

Have the Nahari been claimed by Abaddon yet? They'd be a good middle/major power for someone who wants to play.:)

... That II. he would be born in the citadel striding two continents, in the shadow of the scarlet goddess. That IX. he would be blinded by heat before he could witness his first moonrise...

OOC: NK, how much freedom do I have in determining the governmental structure of my nation? What is (are) the major ethnic, linguistic, and cultural groups in my polity, and how far do they trace back their lineages?

... That II. he would be born in the citadel striding two continents, in the shadow of the scarlet goddess. That IX. he would be blinded by heat before he could witness his first moonrise...

OOC: NK, how much freedom do I have in determining the governmental structure of my nation? What is (are) the major ethnic, linguistic, and cultural groups in my polity, and how far do they trace back their lineages?

Kargan has been a Trilui outpost for centuries (millenia?) now. Since Update 2, at any rate. Presumably that would shape your government, etc, quite a bit, as most of the provincial machinery probably remains intact.

North King, should I expect to send basic guidelines as your post suggested, or wait to be included in the first update with stats when the time comes?

Quite a bit, actually. Keep in mind the background and you should be fine.

Major ethnic groups: Trilui, Seshweay, Nerussan, and what I guess could really be described as the local ethnic group of the area which doesn't really fit into any one of those categories. Kargan is so ridiculously cosmopolitan that you really can't claim any of the groups is dominant, and none of them really fits well into stereotypes like they tend to do in other nations.

Major linguistic groups: Basically the same. There's probably a nice hacked together trading language that a lot of people use. Official language of government is probably Triluin.

Cultural groups: Again, basically the same. The nation is small enough at this point that few, if any of the groups really stand out that much.

North King, should I expect to send basic guidelines as your post suggested, or wait to be included in the first update with stats when the time comes?

Yes, I'll probably tell you in more detail what the guidelines are when the deadline is closer.

Religious Books:

Words I, V
The Words II, III
Deeds II, III
Portends I, I & IV & VII
Memories IV, V & I, VI & I, VII

General Information:

Major Ethnic Groups of Seshweay: Third Republic

Major Ethnic Groups of Seshweay: Third Republic

Arkage: Essentially indistinguishable from the ethnic Janians, Siesites, and Ti-Sehorsehockyes they live alongside. Known to inhabit the width and length of the Delta many still live in old Jania with the occasional community straddling into what is now Moti. While they retain some indigenous cultural practices they are amongst the most socially and religiously conservative of the Seshweay. Examples of continued indigenous practices include their association of the Ancestors with Arkage heroes of old. Many speak New Arkage as a language which combines Old Arkage with the dominant Seshweay dialect of the region. Primarily rural poor.

Janians: Essentially Seshweay in cultural orientation by now but with a far greater sense of ethnic distinction than the Arkage. Speak what is essentially Janian with a high level of Siesite Seshweay influence. Retain substantial indigenous cultural practices and manage to accentuate that by claiming the Matah (a fellow 'foreigner') as close kin and their personal intercessor with Aitah. Some religiously a-typical practices but for the most part sincere in their belief in Aitah even if she is commonly venerated through her aspect as Matah-Aitah. Live for the most part in old Jania and her associated territories. Known to have cosmopolitan proclivities but with strong regional attachment to Jania. Individuals are usually returned home after death.

Ti-Sehorsehockyes: Religiously and ethnically xenophobic with a notorious dislike of foreigners. Have embraced Aya'se as their patron and personal intercessor with Aitah. A small minority have declined to embrace Aitah. Culturally the most Seshweay of the groups with the language probably closest to the language of Aya'se: Old Seshweay. Usually confined to the farms awarded in the Second Republic with little interest in the cities and a known dislike for trade. Hate with a passion the latest batch of occupiers who have little respect for their property and the self worth they derive from it as a group. Highly militant even during the Second Republic providing the majority of the army. Primarily inhabit the headwaters and the middle stretch of the River Sesh.

Siesites: Very religious and prone to religiosity. Zealotry is usually tempered to some measure by their exposure to trade and the cosmopolitan centers of trade they frequent. That still doesn't and hasn't stopped them being the primary engine of religious growth. Known to have trading colonies in Oscadia, in the former Trilui Empire particularity Hanno and Kargan which they were instrumental in converting as well as coastal Faron. By far now the wealthiest group having overtaken the Exiled States. Speak a mixture of Siesite Seshweay, Trilui and Faron as a matter of course while trading which has evolved to be a common, but not the most common, means of discourse for traders in the region. Favored particularly by Aitahists which has helped meld a sense of religious exclusivity into their commercial transactions. Inhabit the delta, the coast as far as the Exiled states and right into Jania along with a slew of trade outposts.

Exiles: Known once to be liberal both politically and religiously. Once the richest of the Seshweay groups now rather poor in comparison. Provided the bulk of the navy and the traders prior to the collapse of the Second Republic. Now largely locked out of trade courtesy of the occupation of the Accans. Extreme religiosity and reactionary sentiment has taken hold. Speak a language which was once the benchmark for educated Seshweay to speak. Now widely disparaged as innovative by the other groups, particularly the Siesites whom they've never got along with all that well. Nevertheless, this anti-Siesite sentiment is tempered somewhat by their virulent and growing hatred of Accan, Gallat and the Satari. Know more or less confined to the Exiled States. The majority of the Aitahist fleet is drawn from exiles who fled with the fall of the Second Republic.

In celebration of the restart of this great NES! A updated animated political map, and a new religious animated map (Turns 6, 7, 8, 9, and 12).:)

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

A Short History of Arelgonics

While scientific accounts differ, based on early Arelgonic records, and the path of Theic (northern) languages, it can be believed that the peoples known known as the Arelgonics came from the far north to the land they now inhabit in a large migration several centuries prior to the current date.

Among the peoples of the north, Arelgonics are some of the more peculiar. A predominantly feudal and agricultural society up until the Confederation Wars, Arelgonic society has under gone a massive change of structure within the few short years intervening between the Confederation Wars and now.

This is largely due to fall of the old baronies, and the rise of the commonwealths that now make up the Confederation. The power the lords and ladies of the Confederation once held over their subjects now limited by the centralization of their government, and the urbanization of their people.

The establishment of a common language has also aided Alregonic society greatly. In the early years of the establishment of Arelgonic society in Theia, the different peoples of the baronies had such involved regional dialects that they reached the point of almost being entire languages unto themselves. However, as the ability of the barons to exert their power over their subjects, and the isolation of the different baronies, have become limited, international trade and relations became enlargened, and the necessity for a language of diplomacy was created.

This growing sense of unity was what lit the fire of the Confederation Wars. Ultimately a revolt of sorts by the peasantry, the Confederation Wars paved the way for the freer and more open society of the current, as opposed to the feudalistic and familial ways of the past. The old dynasties overturned, and a centralized Lords' Council created, the voice of the people was entrenched into government, and the baronies were overturned and became the commonwealths.

Now, Alregonic society is on the verge of another shift, only a hundred and fifty years after the last major change in its make-up. What will come next, is hard to tell, but the clouds are already on the horizon, and wise men and women must look to be ready for the storm.

Again, I'm going to try and restate that you are BARELY elevated from barbarism at this point. You are essentially tribal. This is not Edwardian England, for heaven's sake.

By the way, does anyone know where Cuivienen is right now? We'll probably need her back.

I'm just giving background. If you like, you can think of all these organizations as tribes. They just don't use the term tribe. The Confederation is a bit like a larger tribal council, while the different nations thereof are like separate clans. Their government really isn't that abstract or complicated.

EDIT: They aren't that urbanized either. Whereas once most citizens lived on farms, and most of civilization was spread out across different agricultural areas, since the Confederation Wars they've been gathering in walled towns. It's merely a change of state from being separated and disunited, to becoming more centralized.

I'm just saying, you've very recently popped out of barbarism, so you shouldn't think you're an urbanized society or all that sophisticated.

I'm also saying that this looks suspiciously like a copy/paste of your DaftNES 3 civilization.

I'm just saying, you've very recently popped out of barbarism, so you shouldn't think you're an urbanized society or all that sophisticated.

I'm also saying that this looks suspiciously like a copy/paste of your DaftNES 3 civilization.

Not particularly. Those guys were mostly inspired by the Elves of Lord of the Rings, and had a much more involved government and society. The Arelgonics are a bit more like England before reign of Alfred the Great, and aren't nearly as advanced.

I could go more into the background, society, and history but I'd prefer an update beforehand to get me started on recent events.

Top Bottom