Hidden Antiquities Sites?

That's a good point. Actually, are landmarks exclusive to dig sites? They are right?

That's a very nice perk actually

You could create landmarks for the antiquity sites that spawn within your borders and then send out Indiana Jones to dig the sites that are out of your borders

I have a question: how many hidden antiquity sites are there, compared to the regular ones? Do the extra sites double the number? Increase it by 50%? I'd be grateful for an estimate, especially as I'm curious whether this varies from game to game.

I have a question: how many hidden antiquity sites are there, compared to the regular ones? Do the extra sites double the number? Increase it by 50%? I'd be grateful for an estimate, especially as I'm curious whether this varies from game to game.

It looks like it's around 75-25 split for normal and hidden sites, respectively.

I like the sense of humour in the script. I dug up a site in Poland and the leader told me to bugger off.

The response was either "I'll dig where I please", or

"I'm sorry. I meant no offense in stealing your cultural history."

I wish the hidden sites were unknown to the people you're digging them from unless they finished the tree. That way, you can steal them with impunity. It would give you the advantage for heading down that route.

I also wish they had special artifacts, ideally for the hidden sites. Things like the Rosetta Stone, the Elgin Marbles, the Bayeux Tapestry, the Axum Obelisk (I'm just throwing out ideas, not necessarily suggesting that these have to be the ideas). Unlike the regular artifacts, these ones would obviously come with pictures. They'd only have to make ten, though, so it's a bit easier.

Wait, are you guys getting open borders and digging up hidden sites in a rival's territory?

Logically, a human player would know exactly what you were doing if they see you move archaeologists into their territory.

That may be true, but it does kind of defeat the purpose of having them "hidden".

Maybe people just misunderstand it; it's hidden insofar as it's not available to rival archaeologists - it is hidden to them unless they unlock the tree; it doesn't make your own archaeologist have stealth capability.

Maybe people just misunderstand it; it's hidden insofar as it's not available to rival archaeologists - it is hidden to them unless they unlock the tree; it doesn't make your own archaeologist have stealth capability.

Like in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The Holy Grail was hidden but when Indy went looking for it, the other guys were onto him.

Wait, are you guys getting open borders and digging up hidden sites in a rival's territory?

Logically, a human player would know exactly what you were doing if they see you move archaeologists into their territory.

Yes, I just went into a few countries with open border agreements and took some bauble. Obviously you don't construct a site for them to use. They got annoyed, but hated me most of the time anyway.

Yeah overall while I love the new tourism mechanic, I find the artifacts underwhelming. I fully explored exploration today and honestly probably will never do it again. I had more than enough artifacts from my regular digs and the hidden ones didn't really provide anything unique. I still had trouble completing theming bonuses with them because I was just finding more of the same. I find that there is way too many writing and music slots in my cities but very few slots for artifacts and then the artifacts I find are always largely the same things over and over again. Maybe its just because my games have been relatively peaceful.

In a mess-around game last night, I started in the Information Era and there were 7 sites around me. Every one yielded artifacts of trinkets. Not a good example but I can imagine what a full game would be like.

I wish the hidden sites were unknown to the people you're digging them from unless they finished the tree. That way, you can steal them with impunity. It would give you the advantage for heading down that route.

Agreed. I'm wondering why that wasn't the original idea to start off with. Too OP, perhaps? Can't see why but would welcome an explanation as to why

Yep, my feeling on Hidden Antiquity sites is that they should be a mixture of 3 different types:

1. Sites containing *unique* artifacts-like the Obelisk, the Ark-as Louis suggested. Aside from the usual artifact abilities, each unique artifact should also grant a unique ability to the finder-differing depending on whether you take the artifact home or turn the site into a Landmark.

2. Some of the current "Natural" Wonders-like The Fountain of Youth & King Solomon's Mines.

3. Sites where especially "unique" units-like Missionaries, Inquisitors & Great People, or the sites they produced-met their end. Again, aside from the usual artifact choices, the artifacts from these sites should offer up a 3rd option (like the treasures of a great merchant that can be sold at auction, the lost works of a GWAM that can give a sudden culture boost, the lost treatises of a great scientist that can give a sudden science boost, the artifacts of a great prophet that can be turned into a reliquary (boosting faith)).

Just spit-balling!

Aussie.

1. Sites containing *unique* artifacts-like the Obelisk, the Ark-as Louis suggested. Aside from the usual artifact abilities, each unique artifact should also grant a unique ability to the finder-differing depending on whether you take the artifact home or turn the site into a Landmark.

2. Some of the current "Natural" Wonders-like The Fountain of Youth & King Solomon's Mines.

Aussie.

I had this same thought as well!
My idea was to link these two points you've made, where if the site was within workable distance of your cities you would "restore" the tile and they would act as they do now, or if it was in enemy territory you would extract a unique artifact which would have a special effect associated with it.
E.g When your archaeologist creates a dig site at a hidden site, he discovers the ruins of El Doreado. You can either restore the tile to it's former glory (+2:c5culture: and +10:c5gold:) or retrieve the "Muisca Gold Dust" artifact which, along with the usual artifact yields, produces +20% gold in the city it is displayed and the usual El Doreado gold dump.

Hello all! I came stumbling across this as I tried to find out more about the "Hidden antiquity sites," and wanted to throw my two cents.

Thanks for explaining that the "hidden sites" are just invisible sites until you unlock it and not some super-cool thing. I think it would be neat if they put in hidden-specific artifacts.

And now the rant...
What is wrong with how archaeology is presented in the game is that it's not really archaeology. What you are doing is antiquarianism; robbing things from other societies for your own gain. And archaeology has NOTHING to do with fossils. Why they have one pictured in the circular scientific window is beyond me. Paleontologists deal with dinosaurs, biological anthropologists deal with Lucy and other hominids.
/end rant. Sorry, as an archaeologist, when I see someone screwing up the interpretation of my job, it grinds my gears.

But, it would be neat if they had something like the Elgin Marbles or King Tut's tomb.

(I have a feeling they did not consult at all with an archaeologist on how this should have been done XD )

Well, I think they wanted to represent historic archaeology, which was antiquarianism. Modern archaeology is the professionalization of a process that was essentially plundering. We're talking about representing people like Heinrich Schliemann, who possibly did untold damage to the city of Troy by just bulldozing through layers in his search to find the city. But he was a pioneer for what came later.

Anyway, I thought its appropriate to post this idea I had on this topic (I think I was inspired by this topic).

That's a pity. I was hoping the hidden sites would offer some unique, natural-wonder-type artifacts, such as the Tomb of Tutenkhamon, remains of a dinosaur or even something like the Ark of Covenant - each of them acting as a unique civ/era great work for theming purposes.

I was so disappointed that hidden sites were no different from the regular ones, that I have never wasted my time finishing the exploration track again.

They should be extraordinary, and give more culture and/or tourism, and be exciting things like:

dinosaurs
King Tut's tomb (born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia)
Troy
Pompeii
Knossos
etc.

I think Exploration finisher should have another bonus like +50% faster production for archaeologists or allow you to buy them. I dont feel it's OP because it needs to be competitive with Rationalism.

One thing that might sate your hunger for Archaeology to be more meaningful is I've noticed a connection with where the dig sites spawn and it's actually kinda cool!

I have a photographic memory so I notice very minute details and I happen to notice that a dig site spawned where a barbarian camp (that I destroyed much earlier) had been. When I completed my dig and placed the artifact (great work of art) in a museum I had built in my capital I noticed it was listed as "Museum of Ancient Warfare" or something to that effect.

Turns out this is just a new "theming" mechanic of the Museum that I was unaware of at the time. If you put two of the same types of great artworks into certain buildings it gives them a theme bonus. I thought it was a nice touch...

http://www.carlsguides.com/strategy/civilization5/themingbonuses.php

I've filled the Exploration tree one time. The most useful thing about it?
More sites to choose from = more chances to goad the AI towards war. :p

Top Bottom