Raaaaaage (city state troop movements)

redwings1340

Emperor
Spoiler :

So, City state has a gattling gun. Five turns ago, I think it was to the left of the city state. Then, it moved from left and up before I cornered it with two Caroleans and forced it to switch directions. Then, it moved down and right, before deciding to go in to the water to take a nice little vacation swimming, where we see it now.

Apparently this guy was on vacation and missed the little babylonian invasion that was going on. I appreciate that programming AI is hard, but you can do better than this Civ developers...

I think I'm going to rescue the city state in the end, but this was a kind of unnecessarily close one.

Yeah I've noticed CS tactical AI behaves very differently from the major civ AI

and what I first noticed is that he's at turn 260 and has 3.5/4 unexplored map. :lol:

PS. CS ai is dumb, but they provide excellent meat shield. :D

and what I first noticed is that he's at turn 260 and has 3.5/4 unexplored map. :lol:

PS. CS ai is dumb, but they provide excellent meat shield. :D

Yeah... This game isn't my best. I'm playing Immortal, and I got early scouts, but then one of my scouts got trapped between a hyperexpansionist Zulu and Pocatello well before civil service was a tech anyone had, so I couldn't get open borders. Then I lost my second city to Babylon, and it's been a struggle since then. I didn't have any early costal cities, so I couldn't get caravels, and I didn't make optics or astronomy a priority for exploring that way. Sorry if this initial post sounded like a rage post, well, it kind of was, but I do think civ is an awesome game.

No worries. :D

You could have pick Great Admiral and explore the map. :) I found them to be rather good scouting units on Continents (or Continent like-map) because they can immediately cross ocean without the need of Astronomy. :D

CS combat AI is definitely on of the areas where game is still not only poorly done, but abysmally bad. I regularly see CS sending a single Crosbowman into enemy lands to capture their cities (really?), or they will embark their ranged units right next to hostile fregates instead of moving them into the city and attack enemy units, or stuff like that.

Sometimes it happens that if you have a CS ally and are at war with another major civ, and then you buyout a CS that used to be their ally on the very turn their not allies anymore, then the two city states remain at war even though they are now both your allies. This happened to me recently with Bucharest (military) that was neighbour to Florence (cultural), and the two city states remained at war for the rest of the game. Since I was their ally, I could see every troop movement they did, and it was really depressing to see how they first suicidally eliminated all their units, and then continued building units and sending them into their death in a one-man attack on the enemy city over and over again.

CS combat AI is definitely on of the areas where game is still not only poorly done, but abysmally bad. I regularly see CS sending a single Crosbowman into enemy lands to capture their cities (really?), or they will embark their ranged units right next to hostile fregates instead of moving them into the city and attack enemy units, or stuff like that.

Sometimes it happens that if you have a CS ally and are at war with another major civ, and then you buyout a CS that used to be their ally on the very turn their not allies anymore, then the two city states remain at war even though they are now both your allies. This happened to me recently with Bucharest (military) that was neighbour to Florence (cultural), and the two city states remained at war for the rest of the game. Since I was their ally, I could see every troop movement they did, and it was really depressing to see how they first suicidally eliminated all their units, and then continued building units and sending them into their death in a one-man attack on the enemy city over and over again.

Yeah, I've noticed this... when a CS changes allegiance mid-war, it seems when the major Civ brokers peace with the CS, the major Civ's CS allies do not. CS tend to get locked in permawar with each other frequently in my games due to this.

I remember CS AI used to be better... in early Vanilla they made competent allies when DoWing nearby Civs and frequently captured cities (they also would help connect roads for quests, you only had to build to their border and they'd finish it). No idea why they decided to make em so f-tarded.

If two CS are locked in an eternal war, maybe the solution would be: give them the tools to solve the problem by themselves. Offer to one of them tons of troops, artillery, etc and watch it conquer its neighboor!

CS' can take your cities sometimes too so beware. I once had a CS take one of my english cities and razed it. I couldn't really get my ships of the lines back to defend it. However, in lower difficulties, CS troop movement can be bad sometimes.

Ahah this happened to me... Settle a nice coastal city with Lake Victoria near it, few tiles from a CS. I didn't leave troops in, the CS, allied with the traitor Augustus, captured it... I had the Great Lighthouse in, I was hopping "don't burn it, don't burn it!". They did it :mad:

Top Bottom