Question regarding playing against Austria

Civilmyzation

Chieftain
I am in a current game, I have 4 cities, small continents plus, turn...220ish.

Austria is in the game, and I have a city state ally very close to my 4 cities "UR"
so, Austria in 1 turn takes it and does the marrying thing, and its now their city, so I have Austria in the middle of my 4 city empire of sorts. I would like to just go liberate the city, but I was wondering if there is a point to doing so. is the city state simply going to be bought out again by Austria, or are there limitation to buying the same CS twice?

I'd hate to liberate it, only to have Austria go buy it a turn later, as they had no issue doing this in 1 turn (ally for me, to their own new city). and I really don't want to take a diplo hit in a game where I am in 3rd-4th in everything except science and soldiers.

I don't think you even have the option to liberate Austria's city states...you can raze it though. They are basically like her own cities now.

ah OK, thanks for response, I did not know, for whatever reason since I play "random" AI opponents, I never face Austria, so I had to know how to proceed, guess I have to figure out how to get them to attack me, or have someone pay me to go to war. this is where it can be frustrating, I take that city, and I am screwed with a big warmonger issue to civs who were on the fence. unfortunate really.

may try what some have suggested elsewhere, take it, and gift it. I have an ally that was taken out by Austria, giving them back a city(brazil) would help.

my concern with razing it, is the AI will just send a settler over. although I haven't seen them sending as many through the seas, and this is what they would have to do

Yes, CS annexed by Austria become fully part of their empire, as Venice does. The "capitol" icon, visible on normally annexed CS also disappears.

Austria couldn't have taken it in one turn. If they managed to buy Ur, it means you were too broke to get them back, or just didn't care about it at all.

Austrian AI needs to be allies the same 5 turns in a row a human does.

yes, you got me, I just don't care, that is why I am asking about it on the forums

why make comments like that? you provide zero help to the situation.

I guess I didn't see it fall to "Friends" from "ally", something in a deity game at 3am that can happen. and if it did, it again has nothing to do with my question, even if I made that mistake, can they do it again in 5 turns after I annex it(which I now know I can't thanks to the quality response ABOVE yours)

I really wonder why you commented hannorwood. my question had to do with them trying it again

still swear I had that thing at ally, but it was late, on deity and frankly this game has too much pop ups nbetween turns past T175ish, and that often leads to me not even reading what is popping up. something I didn't have an issue with in Gods and Kings.

Do you have a fairly recent save you can use to prevent Austria from taking it? That's the only alternative I can think of if you do not want to conquer/annex it, and want it to return to being a city state.

Hannorwood's comment makes sense, though. I mean, yeah the game can get a bit silly with all the popups as the game progresses, but keeping an eye on city state statuses when you're aware that Austria is one of your competitors is a pretty basic thing to do. And not something you want to depend on the popup messages for; that's what the diplomacy screen is for.

yes, you got me, I just don't care, that is why I am asking about it on the forums

why make comments like that? you provide zero help to the situation.

I guess I didn't see it fall to "Friends" from "ally", something in a deity game at 3am that can happen. and if it did, it again has nothing to do with my question, even if I made that mistake, can they do it again in 5 turns after I annex it(which I now know I can't thanks to the quality response ABOVE yours)

I really wonder why you commented hannorwood. my question had to do with them trying it again

still swear I had that thing at ally, but it was late, on deity and frankly this game has too much pop ups nbetween turns past T175ish, and that often leads to me not even reading what is popping up. something I didn't have an issue with in Gods and Kings.

There's no need to be aggressive, they were simply informing you of a fact that they thought you didn't know. If you did already know that then why did you post it? They're entitled to reply to any part of your post so long as they don't quote anything against the forum rules or do any flaming.

Top Bottom