Quick Questions and Answers

That's the same thing a kind user suggested me on chat, where I was asking the same question before posting here. So I already tried that and nothing shows up when I click on the unit. So maybe there should be an option somewhere or...?

I asked on the 2K Games forum, and I was told that this function does not exist in Civ5.

However, thanks to an UI mod, it's possible to see the destination hex of the path. At least it's something, see http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?116893-MOD-UI-Destination

Hi! I've got some troubles with loading Custom game scenarios. When I choose the "Custom game" option and then "Load mod" everything seems to be working fine. But when I try to start a mod by clicking the "Start game" button, nothing happens. Literally, it's as if the button was there just to make the game prettier, with no actual purpose. The same thing happens every time I want to start a mod like that. Do you have any suggestions?

Still no answer? Or did I post the message to the wrong thread?

Mighty One have you actually looked at the Mods and ticked one to play? I forget the words but I think there are two buttons - one is to play game and the other allows you to go in and select which Mod you want to play. I think you might find a couple there and you need to tiick one of them.

Hope this helps.

I bought the game and steam pops up says its down load, BUTT still can't play it.
Ask me to click DirectX9
or DirectX 10 & 11 (recomended) so I clicked on this one nadda.
I just want to play the game.
Steam sucks I don't want to play online.

Deerhunter, have you checked that your computer meets the specifications to play the game. I have an older computer and if I click on DirectX 11 it will sit there and do nothing. If I click on DirectX 9 it will sometimes load.

Mighty One have you actually looked at the Mods and ticked one to play? I forget the words but I think there are two buttons - one is to play game and the other allows you to go in and select which Mod you want to play. I think you might find a couple there and you need to tiick one of them.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for the answer!

But I don't think I understand you quite well (I'm just getting into Civ V :whew:). I ticked a mod every time I wanted to play a scenario and went to the "Single player" page and clicked Custom game. Then I loaded on of scenarios (or mods) that were on the list there, but I couldn't start them after I had loaded them.

I'm not totally following the sequence.

When I open Civ V I get the annoying video and when that finishes I get a selection- from memory Mods is about the third one down. If I click on that I then need to "Accept" the risk that Mods may hurt the machine or crash- I think after that I can then select single player or multi player.

From what you are saying I don't think you get that far- after downloading the mods, have you opened the package in the right folder? By that I mean unzip it to the correct Civ folder? (This sounds technical but it isn't really- if you go to Hulfgars Modpack he gives pretty clear instructions on how to do it).

Hope I'm not confusing you further.

(Just rereading your post I don't think this is the issue. Bear with me while I try and start a game).

Deerhunter, have you checked that your computer meets the specifications to play the game. I have an older computer and if I click on DirectX 11 it will sit there and do nothing. If I click on DirectX 9 it will sometimes load.

Computer not half a year old yet.
I also have clicked on both options and nothing happens.

Long time Civ4 player and last night I just played my first game in Civ5. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a worldbuilder option?
2. Which hotkey opens the cities summary status (F1 in civ4) and finance status (F2 in civ4)?
3. The tips mention that connecting a road between city gives a gold bonus, and railroads a production bonus. Do these bonuses stack when I build a railroad over a road and how I do check them?
4. What are some important hotkeys?
5. Can I check Ai's attitudes toward other AIs?
6. Are warmongers more likely to hate peaceful AI (like Monty hates Gandhi then anyone else)?

Long time Civ4 player and last night I just played my first game in Civ5. Here are my questions:

2. Which hotkey opens the cities summary status (F1 in civ4) and finance status (F2 in civ4)?
3. The tips mention that connecting a road between city gives a gold bonus, and railroads a production bonus. Do these bonuses stack when I build a railroad over a road and how I do check them?
6. Are warmongers more likely to hate peaceful AI (like Monty hates Gandhi then anyone else)?

1. Worldbuilder is a separate program, accessed through the "tools" tab of your steam library, via the Civ 5 SDK. You cannot open up the world and look at it easily, with all the cities and units in place, like you could in Civ 4.
2. I don't use many hotkeys in Civ 5, never figured them out myself, sorry.
3. Railroads count as roads for all purposes. Typically you will want to build your railroad network over top of your roads. Keep in mind that roads and rails cost upkeep every turn, and you don't need roads to connect up resources, etc.
4. "g" for goto, "f" for fortify, "b" for build are the main ones I use. It's not a very hotkey-friendly beast IMO.
5. You can see if they are at war in one of the diplomacy overview tabs, but you can't get much more info than that.
6. Not that I've noticed. Warmongers will still tend to attack folks with weaker militaries though, and peaceful builder types will often have smaller armies, so....

1. You need to download it from the Steam "Tools" under the "View" tab. Its called the "Sid Meier's Civilization 5 SDK". Also there is a Mod you might be interested in, its the Ingame Editor.
4. I find using "shift" to queue techs pretty handy.
5. Again you might be ibterested in a mod for this, its Info Addict. It contains AI attitudes and more.

I'm not totally following the sequence.

When I open Civ V I get the annoying video and when that finishes I get a selection- from memory Mods is about the third one down. If I click on that I then need to "Accept" the risk that Mods may hurt the machine or crash- I think after that I can then select single player or multi player.

From what you are saying I don't think you get that far- after downloading the mods, have you opened the package in the right folder? By that I mean unzip it to the correct Civ folder? (This sounds technical but it isn't really- if you go to Hulfgars Modpack he gives pretty clear instructions on how to do it).

Hope I'm not confusing you further.

(Just rereading your post I don't think this is the issue. Bear with me while I try and start a game).

No, I did the same thing. The problem is that I couldn't start a scenario after I'd installed it. I mean, I usually can start scenarios, but if they are the "Custom game" ones (pardon my jargon), I can't start them because the "Start scenario" button under the Custom game tab doesn't work.
Which means that I started the Civilization, saw the same video, clicked the "Mods" button, accepted the risk, downloaded a mod, ticked it, went back and clicked Single player and then Custom game, loaded a mod but couldn't start it. Not all mods work that way, apparently, but there are some of them who do (R.E.D WW II I think is one of them). :crazyeye: Sorry for bothering you, my civilization is overall very buggy, so that might be just one of those glitches.
Anyway, thanks for your help. Much appreciated. :)

Has anyone got a link to a help thread for players making the jump from CIV to CiV? A lot of things are similar - at times to similar, and I'm realizing that I'm shooting myself in the foot.

Mighty one, it may be easier if we can get to the same point. I use Hulfgars Mod.

1. After the video I select Mods and accept risk.
2. I then click Single Player.
3. It is then a choice of Load Game or Start Game.
4. I then go to start game/ advanced set up and put in my preferences. As I have already Hulfgars Mod selected prior to starting the game, it defaults to that.

Am I making sense?

Top Bottom