TSG2 Game in Progress

Spoiler :
80 science points per turn at this moment, 621 points
Turn 182: Build Sistine Chapel
Turn 192 143 science point. Aztecs were pounding at Vienna walls and I came just in t
time to sniff the city from their nose. So I got in return to be allied with two other
city states that wanted Vienna eliminated - Monaco and Rio de Janeiro. This raise my culture and also my science.
Montezuma was attacking my allied states so I decide to go help them since they were giving me culture. Let see what I will do since I do not have to many units.
I got to late and Montezuma conquered Monaco. But I mange to liberate it and now I got 327 influence with Monaco, nice!
I had a frigate around one of the city where Montezuma was attacking, men those are powerful I think I kill over 5 units and soften other 5 that Rio de Janeiro killed after wards
Montezuma came to me with a peace offer giving me 7 cities !!! Even if I burned some of them I am at 55 unhappy faces ??
Will see, the problem is now England is attacking Genoa and I can not allow that so war with England shall be.
I have saved Genoa and make peace with England for 47 gold per turn, nice again
Time has passed we are in 1700 and it is time once again to start the war with England this time just for fun
Is turn 283 know I have 500 science per turn, towns and 1440 points (in diplomacy screen). Burned couple of English towns.
I think I am doing OK, England is not to much of a scarecrow as I heard:D

200Delhi fell, and so did my next nearest city - Elephantine I think - so at turn 200 my tiny core empire of 3 cities is tucked away in the bottom corner being menaced by the Aztec might. Help! I've done something badly wrong!

That last sentence pretty much sums up my game. :cry:

I built the GLib early, and feel that it hurt my expansion. I only founded 3 cities after that and was suffering unhappiness. So I went past Almaty to get the Incense... and that triggered Monte to DOW me (and Liz joined in just for kicks). I lost the Incesne city pretty quick, but decimated Liz's army in the north and she wants peace. No thanks... now you're dead meat! I take two of her cities, but with the unhappy, they have to remain puppets for now. Nappy joins the war on Monte and takes the Aztec capitol, so now I can get not only my own city back, but another (former city state) next to it as well. Of course I take these for peace, and click on making them puppets. However, the game interface demands that I choose production in these cities before I can forward to the next turn! Impossible! My only solution is to annex the city and choose production. Is this a glitch/bug??? :mad: Now we are at like -12 happiness.

Usnig deals and developing happy buildings and such, I manage to climb out of that mess. Probably should have just wiped everyone out, but I was focused on development (technology victory... ?). Liz wipes Ghandis capitol, and I see a great chance to take Paliputra (Ghandis last), and get spices. That worked great, but now Liz is deciding that I'm too close for comfort. She throws everything at me, and rolls up 3 cities before I get a single knight which is enough to wipe out her LB's and she'll give it all back for peace. Of course, Napolean being my best fried is at war with her and rolling her back with rifles. :eek: So I get the territory back, with all the unpleasantness that gets me.

Nappy rolls over Monte and every city state except Almaty. The continent is Big Blue, with a sliver of about 6 cities that are yellow. Weird... I thought this was a pangea. I finally break down and send a musket across the ocean (too busy to build a ship), and make contact with the others. Not much for me there... a few trades, whatever.

Long story short... I'm at 1864, pretty stable, but just falling behind in tech and Napoleon's lead is just keep getting bigger. No way to win this one, I think.

I suck at this game. So that's good... its not as easy as some people make out. Sure... if you make Civ4 like armies you can probably roll the AI... but what do you gain if not just more unhappieness? I think maybe that razing cities is a pretty good idea if you can't take the unhappiness... at least you eliminate it for the AI that would get it eventually. And if you have an army in the field that the AI fear, use it, for gosh sakes... don't just go back and garrison your cities. Your cities are safe as long as your armies are pressing forward... if you are fighting in your own territory all the time, you are losing the game. No matter how many battles you win.

Made a lot of NOOB mistakes, like taking my free tech when I thought I had all the precursors for what I want, and then finding out I have to take a crappy little tech instead. Did that at least twice. Also... learned that if you settle near someone, you might as well just make a DOW on them at the same time.

Wasted LOTS of time wiping out barb settlements. Not worth the bother. Miliant city state allies are pretty worthless. Used cash to buy tiles too early... before I really needed more tiles to work (just have to get that cow or whale in the city.... yeah right :rolleyes: ).

Basically, I don't know what to do with my gold, or what techs to go for first, or what buildings to build, or what tiles to work, or which tiles to improve with which improvement, don't know what all the secrecy pacts and research pacts and all that other diplo crap does, or which social policies to adopt or anything. I feel like a total noob, unless of course I just go for rolling over AI, in which case Civ5 seems even easier than Civ4. Yikes... I have a lot to learn. But that's why its a lot of fun right now!

BTW... I won't finish... just too tedious in a hopeless effort. I will instead try to read a bit on what all the stuff is FOR before playing my next game.

Played up to 500 AD.

Settled in place, then sent my warrior north to explore. This turned out to be the good choice, as I was able to get 3 ruins (gold, culture, and animal husbandry) pretty much before I ran into anyone else.

Went mining>>masonry>>pottery>>sailing>>calendar. Probably should have done calendar before sailing, as I missed Stonehenge by 1 turn (and 2 other wonders before it by 2-3 turns!).

Early builds were warrior>>worker>>workboat>>wonders.

I did get the GL and a few others though, and was able to buy my first settler with the proceeds of my lost wonders.

Thought long and hard about my second city placement. Decided to go north and founded 2 south of the river mouth.

Have had several research agreements and have just finished taking out Gandhi. One more city to the east between my current cities and the 2 CSs and I’ll pause my expansion for a while.

I entered the war with Gandhi a little sooner than I was comfortable with, having just secured my first iron down by Thebes (for a mere 2 iron). Made an awesome trade with Napoleon for 5 iron and some gold right after I started the war, so I was able to quickly build/buy some more swordsmen. Gandhi fell fairly quickly after that!

Monty is crazy as ever – starting wars (or asking me to start) with pretty much everyone. He may be my next target, but we’ll see how it plays out. For now my plan is to have a good defense, but to stay in place and develop my cities rather than focus on conquest.

Early aggression is such a big deal in this game, it just is.

Underway but nearing the end (I'm in the tedious micro-manage and mop up phase).

With the extra duplicate resources and marble - I tried to wonder whore in Thebes while spreading spread West (towards Rio) to get Incense and Ivory, and North to make the most of the abundance of Pearls, Marble and Spice relatively nearby.

To sell those I figured I needed to be at least half-decent to my neighbors, and that worked for a while...but in doing so I let two killer AI (Napoleon on this continent, Darius on the other) get pretty ramped up.

That's slowed me down as I've had to invest in a fair amount of military rather than money and science buildings for tech.

Crippling your neighbors is just essential. I'm not wired to want to not give people a chance to co-exist, but the game kind of dictates it because sooner or later they're plating fringe cities near you or complaining about proximity.

I did occupy Genoa while warring with Gandhi (for furs) and that taught me that warring with the occasional City State is actually pretty swell. Nice lux resource, nice strategic location. Genoa was a natural bulwark for the eventual mega-war against Napoleon that went 200 years.

Not a very scientific approach I realize, but as this is one of my early games in CiV, I decided to be a bit more aggressive than I usually play and made sure my opponents on the home continent didn't amount to much. That is, except for Montezuma, who was an ally in many exploits of the past, but he has turned on me now.

Not a bad strategy either, he is not attacking me directly, instead, he has declared war on my two most valuable City States. I could find myself in deep trouble soon. Probably I will end up liberating both CSs as I probably won't be able to protect them from Aztec aggression.
Spoiler :

It's been an interesting game, but I fear my aggressive approach may prove detrimental in the end.

I'm just about to dive back into my game at turn 219, but here's a quick recap.

Spoiler :

I decided to push the early wonders first and hold out on conquering the other AIs on my continent until I collected some horseman. I was able to build Stonehenge, the GL which I used for Theocracy, and the Oracle. I used my first 2 SPs for the 33% wonder hammer boost, my next 2 SPs for patronage and philanthropy, and then I saved the rest until I entered the Industrial Age so I could take the middle 3 SPs in the Order tree. I planned on focusing in Rationalism after that, but I figured I should spend the next 2 SPs in Honor to help my army fight Liz and her abundant Longbowmen.

My plan for continental dominance began when Monty decided to pick on my only friend at the time (Rio de Janeiro). His rather impressive archer & jaguar army were down fighting my allied CS when I walked right in and took his poorly defended capital. Unfortunately, he was able to acquire my CS ally in the meantime (which will turn out to be a pattern so far in my game). I eventually captured his 2nd (and last city) and liberated Rio de Janeiro which apparently made us friends for life based on my influence number.

Napoleon was right next door so I figured I'd pay him a visit next which Eliz had her way with Ghandi. I had some setbacks with the French and his annoying spearman (in numbers they are challenging for my horseman), but I eventually puppeted and razed him out of the game.

At this time I had a nice 'L-shaped' empire along the southern and western coast and was shocked to notice Eliz controlled pretty much everything else except for the CSs. So I bought a Treb and a few Longswordsmen along with 3 knights from the Napoleonic Wars and decided to attack her before she caught me off guard a few turns later. Fortunately for me, I was allied to Genoa and Stockholm so these CSs occupied her army while I drove up the eastern coast (which she kindly paved for me).

As it stands now, Eliz has conquered Genoa and has Stockholm in the red (but won't conquer it because all she has around it are Longbowmen). Meanwhile, I'm healing up the same army I came in with just outside of London.

So much for the quick recap...

In most 4x games, the key is a good early start. Here's my start, I hope it's good enough.

I built on the initial stop. It feels cheesy to build on the marble, especially since I'm guessing that will be fixed eventually. Then again, they never did in Civ2... I went with a scout and pottery for my initial queues. On turn 4 I got lucky and picked up Archery in a ruin. Two turns later, I got 75g offa another hut. The next turn my scout came online, and I sent him south. On turn 9 I get pottery the old fashioned way, start research on sailing (for the early happiness), and find Old Faithful. Two turns later I got a +1 pop hut, and the turn after that I ran into a French warrior band. On Turn 13, my second scout pops, and I start constructing another warrior to deal with the Barbarians, and potentially the French. My scout battled a barbarian spawn from a camp, and took heavy damage. It took me two turns to find a nice wood to heal in. Meanwhile, one of my scouts found Ghandi, and the next turn I signed a Co-op pact, whatever that means. The other scout discovers Monaco. Considering how much Monaco helped me in the last TGOTM, I was pretty psyched about that.

Turn 20 was quite eventful. My scouts first sighted Indian territory. I researched sailing, and found Animal Husbandry in a ruin. I set my sights next on gettng mining.

I will now take the weekend off. I look forward to seeing what everyone else did and that I should have :)

As the above Posters, I also got into trouble after a while with England. Problem for me was the massive build up of naval units they had, that crippled my 3 cities that were not Puppets. Killed off monty pretty quickly when I got muskets, and france is just a little nation of 2 cities. Problem for me, was that I left England to grow untill they decided to declare war on me.

All in all, I think this game was a little over my difficulty, but a nice try. Was pretty much up in game with technology advances, but I have never been very good at focusing on getting a big army togheter. And that caused my downfall in this game. (quit when England moved on Memphis, and I didn't have any army left except a lone rifleman).

Looking forward to the next GOTM.

Wouldn’t you know it. No sooner than I had plans to consolidate my empire and start to build internally and not be aggressive, Elizabeth declares on me THE VERY FIRST TURN after my last post. Oh well. London, Vienna (an ally of hers at the time) and one other English city are now mine and Elizabeth has gone the way of the Dodo with the rest of her pitiful civilization burned to the ground. I had enough happiness to annex her cities instead of puppeting them, so soon I’ll be up and running with a strong empire that I have full control of.

Monty is becoming a problem though. He settled to the East of my cities and has now attacked Tyre. Not that I care about Tyre, but I feel that his aggression will continue until I burn him to the ground as well.

Interesting that I really tried to be a peacemonger this game and go the quiet route to a science victory. Hopefully all this war is not putting me too far behind in the tech race.

I do keep signing tech agreements and they have been quite helpful for me. Currently researching astronomy for some caravels to find the other civs, and hopefully get some good trades with them. Year is now 1150ish AD.

My basic playthrough has been as follows (I didn't track my turns...sorry :()

I started off settling one SE of start on the plains (for eventual windmill action). I beelined to masonry and then switched to Calendar.

My worker finished just after I researched Masonry and so I sent him to quarry the marble as I started the Pyramids. Aristocracy popped a couple turns later and soon I had a 78% construction bonus for wonders. As a result I was able to pull Stonehenge, the Great Library, AND the Oracle after completing the Pyramids.

Between my wonder rush I sent out a settler to claim some land on the river to the north. This served to be a great move (more on that later), and it allowed me to take some pressure off Thebes when it came to workers and work boats.

After I built Heroic Epic, I found that I didn't have any iron so I built two war chariots and ground Almaty to a pulp rather slowly. I turtled for a little while and set up another city west of Thebes south of the iron ore. Upgraded a warrior to a swordsman and started on a catapult.

At this point, I had four cities and was still grinding through the Medieval tech tree. Napoleon was sweeping Montezuma under the rug and I was mainly working on infrastructure. I left the tradition tree after Aristocracy and picked up Honor (Warrior Code and Military Tradition) before setting off down the Commerce tree (nabbed Naval Tradition and Merchant Navy). I was happy to settle in for a bit, but Ghandi had other plans.

Come to find out that my army was seen as weak and India decided to try something. I sent my war chariots and archer (received from Almaty before I declared war) as well as my two melee units towards the NE where he tried to invade (Cairo on the river faced his wrath). I picked them apart with my ranged superiority and finished them off with melee strikes. I lost a swordsman, but was able to build another before all was said and done. In the end, I crushed his military, grabbed Varajana (NE of me on the coast by the iron and marble) and forced a peace treaty for all his gold, some GPT and two happy resources.

I'm almost to turn 200 so I'm obviously a little behind, but my next goal will be to finish off Monty and start the great puppeteering. I need to plow into Napoleon before he gets too much further ahead and so full military production is coming soon. If I am able to pull it off, the game is basically mine since I'll be able to use my puppets to gain a substantial tech lead (I just hope I don't go bankrupt in the process!).

We shall see!

I guess misery loves company. I did the three cities plus Almaty approach (I only attacked it because Monty was about to get it). I was ahead in tech, which was fun. I had an attack from England, but that was easily repelled. Then it was Nappy. I did manage to outmaneuver him during the first wave, but then the second wave was impossible; 10 riflemen and cannons, etc. and I quit.

Yeah... I'm holding my own presently. Nearing turn 300 and I've been holding my own. Lost a 500 xp knight though, but Napoleon is rocking Artillery and so casualties are to be expected. Liberated Rio, Vienna, and Geneva. Currently at peace with Napoleon mainly to get reinforcements to the front. Need more rifles! I've captured most of the West of the continent and haven't done much other than station two rifles in the East in case Ghandi or Elizabeth send an attack that way (Have held a steady peace with both of them.

As it stands, I will be on track to win the game, but I'm sunk when it comes to beating times that have already been posted. I'm not a king level player though so I'm lucky the AI can't fight wars.

Started out by moving a square or 2 to the north and settled 2 west of marble. Didnt gain very much from it I think but at the time it seemed like a good idea.

Went for early stonehengh but some bastard on the other continent beat me by a few turns. I got GL at least but as it was completed someone on other continent built pyramids. I used GL and a GS to get early aucustics.

At this point, I built 2 settlers. I was allied with one martime cs so they grew quite ok. I triggered a golden age with rationalism and built 3 archers for a small attackforce. This was used to conquer Ghandi into puppet(turn = ca. 90). From there I went on to conquer elizabeth and after that I sent my army towards nepoleon.

I spam cottages with all my workers (~ 10) and I seem to do OK so maybe pyramids isnt needed anyhow.

By turn 154 I just invaded the first french city in top left corner. I have 3 cities plus a total of 6 puppets. +165 science/turn and +200 gold (golden age).

My biggest concern is that Im always on the edge of unhappiness and my settled cities intended for production seem to grow slower than my puppets (and thus, not grow at all because unhappy).

Also, my capital is so f***ing bad. Its mostly grassland and very little production squares.

I'm off work this week, and one of the less responsible things on my docket was to get in some serious civ time in between homework for my night class and some other responsibilities. It's currently turn 93, killed 1st civ, not first in anything, which is probably safest right now. I'm seriously smitten with the 4 horseman strategy for an early war. that said, 50 turns back i nearly threw up my hands and restarted...

Spoiler :

Decided to give SKRen's favorite opening (which I would link but can't find now!) a whirl, with a modification to pop out an early 4 horsemen.

Tech: pott >cal > writing > mining > Masonry> HBR beeline > either theo or civ serv.
Build: Worker > Monument > Henge > Lib > Grt. Lib

as for how it went:

Turn 0: SIP (marble start feels like a bug), Started Pottery, a worker, and my warrior on a 2-hex orbit of the city.

2: find almaty.

3. Eye river to the north, file away as likely city 2 spot.

5. pop ruins, get locs of 2 barbs, 1 aways to the NE, the other just past almaty. I decide to clear fog to thebes' south to verify I'm on a peninsula before going after the NE barb. will wait on the almaty barb to see if they put out a bounty on it.

9. Pottery Done, Calendar starts.

12. I am indeed on a peninsula. I sally forth to kill the NE barbs. (foreboding notes in soundtrack here)

18. Worker done, all he can do is farm. start monument. Meet ghandi, we look evenly matched on the trade screen. offers POC next round, why not?

20. get a better look at city 2 zone en route to barbs, note likely hex. horses are coming before city 2 though.

24. Calendar done, worker starts another farm, engage the NE barbs.

26. Policy time. had tentatively thought liberty, but unsure. Ponder tradition, but stick with plan. this is my 1st non-honor start ever. Kill the camp, take shock 1, and...realize there's another barb unit next to me as fog clears. I hate instaheals, but if I'd seen him...the odds favor survival (barely), so I hope for the best, click next turn, and...

27. Warrior dies.

Lesson learned: don't get greedy, ALWAYS instaheal your first warrior unless you have cash in the bank for an immediate replacement, the cost-benefit ratio's just too high. I look at the treasury, I'm 23 gold from a warrior. I change to gold focus, see there's no prod rate change, and cross my fingers.

27. Meet monty, we're pretty even.

29. buy warrior. heave sigh of relief and wait for monty's warrior to leave peninsula before I strike out for the almaty camp. not thinking about city or really anything other than what that nut might do while scouting.

31. Monty wants POC? sure.

32. meet Liz, way more in bank (no shock), but less gpt.

33. Start Stonehenge, while thinking about keeping my 2nd warrior alive and just glancing at the city screen. another ominous note in the soundtrack.

34. time for more research. after waffling between hbr and masonry, I stick with plan A and go masonry first. dum dee dum, nothing worth invading here...

35. Monty wants OB...I'll risk it.

37. find old faithful, barbs hemmed in to north by mountains, will circle around.

38-40, meet monaco, france (a second city! *zomg*), and a camp that predicts a minor defeat. back away slowly and make for thebes.

42. Monty wants to DOW France, polite No. he seems cool with it. France wants a POS, why not? Wish i understood the diplo mechanics, I'm not making informed decisions here.

44-46. Worker free to mine! go do so. Policy: citizenship. thebes wants cotton, someone built lighthouse.

47. In this order:
barb sneaks around a fog-backed mountain by almaty, knocks my warrior down to 2HP,

Stonehenge is built in a foreign Land. (I was about 5 turns off at this point)

Almaty wants my help with their barbs.

I whack my head against the desk, take my 200 gold for the nearly-build henge, and call it a night before i take drastic measures and restart.

In the morning I wake with a better attitude, knock out a couple of responsibilites, and load up. I go to the city screen to pick my next production, and...

Spoiler :

48-50. I finally saw it. Did you see it? I was in such a lather about losing the warrior I left the #$%!&$* city focus on gold, not hammers when Warrior 2 came online. I could have been getting double the hammers per turn and probably either won henge or at least made it interesting. upon seeing incontrovertable proof of my panicked and hasty oversight, I briefly debate turning in my CivFanatics membership card, or at least resigning this game, but I figure I'll press on for now. The loss may make for a funny read on the forums. I press on to the Library/Great Library. the next couple of rounds are heavy on the diplo, with Liz and Monty wanting to POS Gandhi and Napoleon respectively. Right now, I agree with anything that keeps their pointy objects pointed at other people. We get the Military best of list, and I am not only last, I am ABYSMALLY last. At least I don't have to be worried about being perceived as a threat...

51. Liz asks if i wanna DOW gandhi, I politely decline. she's disappointed.

52-9. approximately 12,000 civilizations hit the classical era. Meanwhile, I wonder if I should take up checkers. A bright spot is when animal husbandry pops, and i have 4 houses a simple tile-buy away from the capital. workers polish off the marble quarry, and head to pasture the horses. I see cask flow getting a tad tight but I daren't risk taking focus off hammers, and I've got a good 15-20 turns before i can loop back and pop trapping. as i near turn 60, library finishes, I switch to great library and cross my fingers...

60. another momentous turn, but in a good way! Wheel finishes, and I see HBR and G lib will pop same turn, so I can immediately turn the city to producing the regiment of horsemen. I realize I accidentally boxed napoleon's warrior in when i bought that horse title. oops.

61-9. on cue, Nap wants OB so his unit can skedaddle. I fiddle with the deal terms to see if I can get him to give me some cash for the OB, but I accidentally cancel out. whoops again. Monty wants to re-up OB, sure. I don't try to get fancy.someone builds the pyramids and I knock out the pasture. a few quiet turns, then

70. Great Library! and Horseback! and (finally) Classical era! unfortunately, because the HBR beeline didn't allow me to do needed backfill, I can't pop civil service. Philosophy's my best available option, saves me 10 turns. I scuttle back to start trapping trying not to feel like too much of a noob. I hit the city screen and let the Horse Spam commence!

71-80. I learn Almaty hates monaco. Policy time: Meritocracy. start pondering later tree strategy, am thinking possibly patronage, definitely rationalism and order. We get a tech score popup, I'm 4th but am really tied for 2nd, tied for the lead on this continent. Finally get trapping, have my workers knock down some farms for TPs to deal with my cash crunch. my horse finishes, I head up toward where the corners of india are poking out of the fog, and i see Delhi. on its own. no military in sight. pyramids. And is that....STONEHENGE?!!! That's it, that geek's going down. as soon as my second horse cooks (about 4 turns off), India is MINE.

81-91. Once again, as if on cue, Liz wants to DOW Gandhi on turn 81. I ask for 10 turns, and use horse 1 to surreptitiously scope the whole delhi border, to find the best angle to snag the capital before Liz. surprised to see she has no army positioned, save one spear who wanders off into the mists. By round 91, I have 2 horses in position, 1 en route, and 1 cooking. still no sign of liz, and she should have DOWed this round by my math.

92. I take the initiative, and my horses pummel gandhi down almost into the red. horse 3 is nearing, but I don't think he'll get a piece of the action.

93. Liz Finally declares, with nary a unit to be seen. I shrug and take the capital, a nice stack of gold, and with my happiness in solid double digits I go ahead and take the happy hit with an annex. Belatedly realized I'd need to double back for math to do the courthouse, but oh well. I finally got Freaking Stonehenge. my 4th horse finishes, and it's time to save and go be responsible.

Lessons learned so far? I may be able to survive this King thing, but I have got to remember to measure twice and cut once, and not get in a hurry. it was only dumb luck I got the henge at all, and had I not been so happy that immediate annexation could have been a serious error. I'll probably report back when i clear the rest of the continental AIs (or they clear me, I suppose)

Well your all done and dusted but my learning curve continues. Doing this from work but some advice along the lines of mistakes not to be copied.

Spoiler :

Mistakes I made
- ignored horses for peaceful expansion/ getting science up and running
- late on I realised selling excess luxuries and using the money to buy happiness buildings is more useful than like for like trade.
- think that science victory does not involve massacring the enemy first.
- If you don't want to have a war keep your units out of sight. This will also stop them being massacred by the first wave.

Settled in place and immediately decided Science - go for Great Library. Got a worker then settler up and running to settle Thebes on the river to the North. Then my Great Library slingshot for Civil service was set in place.

Unfortunately the plan failed. I think that my worker completing a mine led the computer to reassign a worker so taht after I hit next turn with two turns on the GL left it finished at the end of that turn. One turn before the prequisite (philosophy) was researched So I had just produced a slingshot for construction (10 turns to research) and had 46 turns to research CS.

To resurrect my game I decided the Hindu peacenik had to be removed which was quickly done, giving me expansion room. This mean't Elizabeth saw a weak unprotected me to be exploited. Once I had wiped out her expeditionary force I set about puppeting London and razing York (west of Monaco) to plant my own city (Elephantine) on the spot. Monty was annoyed by this upstart on his borders and decided to wipe me out. Having taken Elephantine I was left without a single mlitary unit. I had made the mistake of buying a knight in the damaged city. I expected it to last another turn but instead he died in the rubble.

In the meantime I also allied with stockholm, genoa (released from English) and kuala lumpa, easing my food/culture worries

My peaceful science game turned total war continued and I released Almaty and Rio from monty's shackles. Burnt three more cities to the ground, settled two more and puppeted his capital.

Finally back to my peaceful game research had been kept afloat by research agreements with all and sundry. I never retook Elephantine as it eneed in French hands.I have planted trading posts everywhere due to the science benefit and desire to reduce population expansion. I decided not to use my army to erase Napoleon due to the funds/production needed. So I went for peaceful expansion. Within twenty turns of war ending I was on to the apollo programme. Meanwhile Napoleon planted cities in every available space.

Once he run out it was back to another war to end all wars :cry: My Aztec puppet was set on by twenty units however Napoleon decided to send his cannon fodder in first (longswordsman in the modern era) and I have left them while my purchased artillery shoots over their head at the riflemen behind. I may lose the city but I should wipe his army out and retake it before any lasting damage is done to my useful towns. I have used a GM to get a golden age so Hieropolis (North of Delhi, South of London) can finish Apollo and my two other production towns (capital and one to West of Almaty) can get production buildings for my final push. Luckily his superior units (riflemen/artilley) are cannon fodder for my upgraded destroyer and mercenary units cowering behind the city.

At this stage my cavalry are keeping clear of the war zone and clearing French towns planted behind enemy lines (1 down 3 to go). This will allow my spaceship parts to move safely and provide expansion room. I have a social policy stocked up for my last two techs and a GS hanging around while I decide if I should use him for a tech or another Golden age. My captured workers are putting Lumbermills in my production cities. At some point I may annex London, buy a courthouse/happiness buildings and use the production potential.

My friend Genoa has

I am writing this from work so I don't know my year but I am reasonably happy with the resurrection of the game. As long as I can keep my artillery safe and Napoleon does not successfully mount a flanking action (my empire is a column northwards and the South coast), my only protection is the length of time it will take him to traverse the forests to his border cities and then to the heart of my empire.

Meanwhile I look in envy at the leaderboard which I will not be put on and includes domination victories for those who ignored the science requirement and went for the enjoyable option.;)

Top Bottom