The Vikings!

molnutz

Chieftain
They're here! The Vikings!

Viking Civilization - Available on the mod-browser

Leader: Canute the Great
Trait: Norse Raids - Triple gold when capturing Barbarian encampments and enemy cities; No movement cost when pillaging
Unique Unit: Berserker - replaces longswordsman
Unique Building: Runestone - replaces monument
(note: I did not add the longship as a UU as the Vikings mainly used them for troop transport and not naval warfare)

Current Version

V.4

Spoiler :
Change Log
V4 change log
units:
changed - berserker now replaces longswordsman

xml:
changed - Ragnar is out! Canute is in!
various text and art changes

v3 change log
added- diplomacy text

v2 beta change log
fixed - leaderhead icon issue
fixed - city atlas icon (now uses Viking icon instead if American icon - only noticeable when AI is playing as Vikings
added - custom art for Berserker icon and Runestone icon
changed - Berserker now uses barbarian unit graphics - until I can actually change the graphics myself.
minor text update and art update

Please feel free to let me know about any suggestions to this mod as I'm always looking to make it better.
Also looking for any BUGS, text errors, etc. that need to be changed.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0007.jpg
    Civ5Screen0007.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 4,487
  • Civ5Screen006.jpg
    Civ5Screen006.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 6,172
I would suggest putting the Berserker instead of the Longswordman. After all it's fro ma whole different time.

Isent it a bitt off to have the Berserker replace the warrior? I meen acording to the time frame, sinse they where precent around medieval times.

Ragnar again? Why not a more historical leader? Also, Hirthmen>Beserker

Since I am from Scandinavia I likes to play the game as a Viking.
The mod looks great, my only suggestion is to find a other leader picture without the "Horn". Not many or any at all used helmet with horn in the viking age.

There where a suggestion that you could replace longswordman with the beserker, maybe the swordman instead if you want to have the units be used for a longer time.

The viking age is spanning fram around the 8th to 10th centuries.
And Ragnar is probably inspired by the Ragnar Lodbrok where there is actuly litlle known facts but some myth... A other known used leader previous the civilization is canute or Cnut the great, a danish viking king how did ruled Norway, Denmark, large parts of England and some parts of Sweden in his regin time....

Yes, Knut the Great would be a much better choice. He ruled over a huge empire, Denmark, parts of Germany and Poland, Norway, Parts of Sweden, and Britain. And a better picture would be good as well. Perhaps an image based on this one - http://www.cindyvallar.com/Viking.jpg , would be good, as it is a pretty accurate depiction. Nice job, otherwise.

Also, how do I make the link I put in hidden - like, when you click on "this one", it brings you to that page?

The mod looks great, my only suggestion is to find a other leader picture without the "Horn". Not many or any at all used helmet with horn in the viking age.

Agreed and dubble agreed, I hate when the vikings are using horned helmets, they never wore horned hellmets in battle becous it woldent be practical. The horned helmets only exits as there where a few politicians in the 17 or 18-century that whanted to give the swedish Kingdom a more scaring rumor by making vikings with huge bearskin and bigg mussels and give them horns to look like the devil, so they are just basicaly propaganda to make the Swedish empire look mightier and more powerfull.

You can still see this propaganda when the Swedish Fottball team or Ishockey team play becous the fans uses horned helmets as props. (Something that realy anoys me) :D

There where a suggestion that you could replace longswordman with the beserker, maybe the swordman instead if you want to have the units be used for a longer time.

Yea agree with this, or you culd use the warrior unit but make it replace the swordsman and give it a "huge" amount of increased strenghth to make it be able to knock the Classical units out of the ballpark.

Version 4 UP!!!!!

Originally posted by Horem
Hello again! Mind if I use this Civ in my Mod Molnutz?

Yes, go right ahead

Originally posted by Tabris
I would suggest putting the Berserker instead of the Longswordman. After all it's fro ma whole different time.
Originally posted by Erik_3E
Isent it a bitt off to have the Berserker replace the warrior? I meen acording to the time frame, sinse they where precent around medieval times.

Noted and fixed. The Berserker now replaces the longswordsman - same strength, etc. - however has the promotion to partially heal if it destroys an enemy.

Originally postde by Olaf_The_Great
Ragnar again? Why not a more historical leader?

I've had a few people commenting about this. The leader is now Canute the Great - although I didn't change any file structure or graphics -it's purely in the text.

Originally Posted by Fistersn

I know having the 'helmet horns' is a bit of a stereotype. But I don't have the time to change the artwork. Perhaps in a future version.

I had another viking version, then when i try to install this one (i deleted the other one first) it doesnt show up in my list of mods.

Id sure like to play the vikings!

I had another viking version, then when i try to install this one (i deleted the other one first) it doesnt show up in my list of mods.

Id sure like to play the vikings!

Hmmm. Is anyone else having this problem? It might be an error in the xml somewhere.

Hmmm. Is anyone else having this problem? It might be an error in the xml somewhere.

I don't know if it is a problem with your mod, there seems to be a limit of mod "seenable" in the installed mod tab accuring to your screen resulution.

I must for insted delete old mods after reaching my limit to see the new installed mods and to activate them...

Probably another bug Civ 5 has, they'll probably fix the issue with a patch

Hm, last night I started a game with the old version of this mod (Berserkers replacing Warriors).
Can I delete the old version, install the new one, and continue playing? Will the Berserkers change to normal warriors?
Or will it simply not be able to load?

Thanks. :)

Hm, last night I started a game with the old version of this mod (Berserkers replacing Warriors).
Can I delete the old version, install the new one, and continue playing? Will the Berserkers change to normal warriors?
Or will it simply not be able to load?

Thanks. :)

It will affect your saved game. -- If you delete the old version and install the new one, you won't be able to load any old saved games

Actually it did work, but with a small bug.

All my v.3 Berserkers (Warriors) kept their "Berserker" name, along with their Warrior stats, but lost their healing bonus, and the icon changed to that of the Longswordsman.
So basically, it's only visually confusing, and they're upgrading just fine.

I came across another bug though, and it was in the old version too. In fact, it may not even be from the Viking mod.
All my cities are invisible. The texture, or graphics, are just gone, and where they should be, is a piece of unimproved land.
Any thoughts?

Actually it did work, but with a small bug.

All my v.3 Berserkers (Warriors) kept their "Berserker" name, along with their Warrior stats, but lost their healing bonus, and the icon changed to that of the Longswordsman.
So basically, it's only visually confusing, and they're upgrading just fine.

I came across another bug though, and it was in the old version too. In fact, it may not even be from the Viking mod.
All my cities are invisible. The texture, or graphics, are just gone, and where they should be, is a piece of unimproved land.
Any thoughts?

I haven't run into that problem on my system - I've tested it with all maps, playing as vikings and having ai as vikings, and even having 4 viking civs at once - can't say I've seen that. Is it just the viking cities that are invisible? What other mods are you using?

With 1 exception, mine are the only cities that are missing. The city state Samarkand from the "City States of the World" mod is missing too, but other CS' from the mod is working fine.

Mods used:
- Active City Defense
- All of Thalassicus' "Balance" mods + Gradual Research
- City States of the World
- Historic City States
- Half Strategic Resources
- Luxury Resource Display
and various Civilizations, but they aren't in the current game.

Edit: If someone can tell me, how to hide an image in spoiler tags, so it doesn't wreck the forum, please tell me :D

Top Bottom