News: TSG3 Announcement

Lets look at the consequences of 'selling' your empire: You now have 1 city+ Puppets. You now look like a tasty snack to whoever you sold the cities to. Can you build Utopia before you die? Tune in next time to find out. [/announcer]

So while mechanically, yes it is an exploit, it does come with heavy consequences. If your empire is 99% puppets you don't need to get rid of them anyways as right now they are free culture. And by not buying any SPs your growth potential is greatly diminished so if people want to let them. I've seen amazing results over in the Hall of Fame board that didnt use this trick and beat the pants of anyone who did so...
The risk involved will depend on how many opponents with how many cities they have left.

Can we individually turn the combat animation back on?

As far as I know, it's not possible to turn them back on, since it was set in the start-game screen. Perhaps someone else knows a tweak?

Actually, I would also like to see the full combat animations for this TSG.

I was planning to provide two saves, but I could not find a way to reload the game and change the setting. Some players have asked for quick combat, so we'll see afterwards what the general opinion is. Hopefully, Firaxis will move the option to an in-game setting, although I presume it's quite low on their list right now :lol:

OK being thick here.. Where do you put the save.. I seem to have several folders relating to saves

Here is where I would put it:
...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\single

I consider settling on the marble, but I have a few questions. If I remember correctly some guy here mentioned once that settling on marble delivers you the marble instantly without the need to research masonry. Is that still true, post patch?

A quarry gives the marble tile +1 commerce +1 prod, I think. If I settled on the marble, is the city tile also given any additional commerce or prod?

Can we individually turn the combat animation back on?

i have not tried it myself, but actually in the config.ini file (in "My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5") there's an option called "QuickCombat", you can set it to 0 or 1...so maybe this overrides the setting from the savegame.

Unless you went for ICS it will usually be no problem to conquer those cities you sold to an AI (which you planed to DOW anyway) right after taking the SPs you wanted.

You can even do this multiple times for the next bunch of SPs you want, so basically there is no real drawback from not getting the SPs you want when you want them other than a slight delay.

And while I have not played with selling cities to the AI yet at least at King level I have not seen any civ which was in a position to really consider my remaining empire as a snack ;)

I am firmly in the 'exploit which should be banned' camp here.

CharonJr

So, maybe it's a cheesy way to win...but why ban it? We didn't ban horseman rushing, or ICS (arguable), or any of a dozen 'exploits' in the last GotM. Plus lots of people have probably already started...not fair to change the rules now since they can't restart.

Furthermore, I've yet to see anyone 'prove' this exploit, the way so many others have been proved in the strategy forum, through demonstration. If you have, please share the results.

So, maybe it's a cheesy way to win...but why ban it? We didn't ban horseman rushing, or ICS (arguable), or any of a dozen 'exploits' in the last GotM. Plus lots of people have probably already started...not fair to change the rules now since they can't restart.

Furthermore, I've yet to see anyone 'prove' this exploit, the way so many others have been proved in the strategy forum, through demonstration. If you have, please share the results.

I assure you, if you allow city elimination, especially with France as the civ, you'll see this exploit in action. Currently, the accepted strategy is to beeline to Acoustics and then conquer your neighbors and puppet them. You are limited by how much and how fast the nearby AI expands. I know from experience in the HoF Gauntlet that being allowed to build my own cities and them gift them away would pump up my SP generation significantly as well as my science. It would allow me to go ICS and shave 20 turns off my finish time I'd guess, maybe more.

I hope that Firaxis will patch in a penalty to stored culture when losing a non-puppet city, or else when the Civ5 HOF patch comes in, they add in a penalty there. For now though, I would say any selling or razing of your own cities (not those conquered) should be banned from the GotM.

As an alternative we could have 2 rankings, one for those who sold cities and one for those who didnt.

Personally I plan to play one game each to see how much faster I can be by using the exploit anyway (will be slightly skewed since I know the map for the 2nd game, but I think this will not have an impact of more than 10-20 turns).

CharonJr

Currently, the accepted strategy is to beeline to Acoustics and then conquer your neighbors and puppet them.

There might be a point here, since puppeting was nerfed a bit science-wise in the last patch. This means the REX and raze strategy has become stronger in comparison.

Charon I will be very interested to see your results comparing both strategies.

The city-gifting exploit will not be banned for TSG3.

There are several reasons: first of all, the purpose of the Training Series is to learn. Therefore we don't want to restrict players. If this exploit is really game breaking, which we hope to find out in the After Action Report, then we will revisit this discussion. Second, it's rather tricky to define exactly what should be banned and what should be allowed. It may sound easy, but there will certainly be ways to exploit loopholes in the exploit ban :D. Third, we don't have a way to police/enforce such a ban yet (at least not 100% fool proof), and even if we trust players to follow the rules, we would rather prefer if we could avoid heated discussions afterwards.

Please state in the After Action Report if you tried to use the city-gifting strategy so we can judge the impact.

Personally I plan to play one game each to see how much faster I can be by using the exploit anyway (will be slightly skewed since I know the map for the 2nd game, but I think this will not have an impact of more than 10-20 turns).
Please keep good notes as we will be interested to see what you discover as we compare it to what we find. :thumbsup:

A lot will depend on the starting position (how many puppetable cvis are around). In one culture game I played earlier (might have been the Gauntlet) I had such a large number of civs to puppet that I actually saw no purpose in building a second city till fairly late in the game.

But since we start away from the ocean there seems to be a decent incentive for a 2nd city this time.

Which reminds me that I never played East vs. West before, is it a subtheme of continents or is it a pangea map?

CharonJr

My gamed crashed as I was playing the TSG3 game, am I allowed to reload an autosave or consider myself out of the loop so to speak. Anyways great idea with these games will be fun too see what others do.

I really dislike combat animations being off makes it hard to keep track of the battles, also think selling cities to reduce the cultural penalty is way out of order.

As an alternative we could have 2 rankings, one for those who sold cities and one for those who didnt.

CharonJr

I would appreciate it if you can post copies of both final saves (and final replays) if possible. In case we decide we have to ban it in future, I would like to see if the fact that it has been used is detectable in the final save.

My gamed crashed as I was playing the TSG3 game, am I allowed to reload an autosave or consider myself out of the loop so to speak. Anyways great idea with these games will be fun too see what others do.
Yes, you can play on from autosave, preferably the one from the immediate turn before the crash.

Please set your autosave interval to one in the civ5.ini file.
edit - What Alan said in the next post.

edit:
<snip>, also think selling cities to reduce the cultural penalty is way out of order.
We hope to figure out what the trade offs are in doing this, using real game data, to make a decision.

Please set your autosave interval to one in the civ5.ini file.

It's an option in the Civ5 in-game interface, so you don't need to edit the .ini file.

For better or worse I'm going to try the non gamey approach...I'm just not the type of player that enjoys finding exploits. I like the immersion of feeling like a true civilization and suddenly selling off every city seems ridiculous.

Although for what its worth I think not banning it is the right decision. It's not straight forward...like someone pointed out there are many grey areas and it would just be a mess trying to define what is allowed and what isn't

This should be a nice change from ICS, never bothered with culture much so far.

Maybe somehow mark the games that used city gifting in the results? Would allow us to see if its a good strategy and everyone who considers it cheating could ignore those results.

Please post in this thread only if you have not yet opened the game save.

Once you have opened the save and begun to play, please use either the Game In Progress thread or the After Action Report thread to talk about your game progress and result.

:thanx:

Top Bottom