Dan Carlin Hardcore History Podcast

Oh sorry, I originally wanted to present the case to HH being a valuable presentation for history. Mostly for the novice/beginner. Then I was questioned on "legitimacy" and "revisionist history". So it got off track, like most internetz do.

I am arguing that HH is a great media for history and I enjoy the presentation. If you guys dont, thats cool. But disagreeing with me via semantic games is kinda ridiculous. I would like to hear what DACHS found illegitimate.

If you think this is about semantics then you have completely missed the mark. What we're (or I, anyway) am saying is that because the history that Dan Carlin is pushing is dated it isn't good history, and for the novice/beginner I'd say it could actually be actively harmful. By presenting erroneous history as objective and factual you are doing nothing but setting the "history novice" up for failure down the line and wasting everybody's time in the process. I'd rather a history novice read a good, current Oxford/Cambridge/Berkeley University Press book or sit/listen in on a university lecture if they're trying to get the basic rundown on a historical period. To me Dan Carlin is no better than reading Jared Diamond or Barbara Tuchman, and only marginally better than reading Gibbons (as an untrained novice) or Menzies.

OK, I am open to your argument. What "dated" or "not good history" is Carlin pushing?

Its quite funny that you passively criticize Jared Diamond and recommend people to read material form the uni that gave him his phd, all in one paragraph.

"If you think this is about semantics then you have completely missed the mark." Im pretty sure I hit the mark. So far you have provided zero substance for your disdain of Carlin, and have done nothing but criticize the words I choose to use------definition of a semantic game. And you failed at that.

So if you want to argue with me about nonsense then I will just leave bro, I dont need another **** in my life. Where is your proof for Carlin giving bad history?

Moderator Action: Changed a word in your post, please do not use spaces to avoid the autocensor. This is getting personal, that is trolling. Please get back to the topic at ahnd.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

OK, I am open to your argument. What "dated" or "not good history" is Carlin pushing?

Its quite funny that you passively criticize Jared Diamond and recommend people to read material form the uni that gave him his phd, all in one paragraph.

"If you think this is about semantics then you have completely missed the mark." Im pretty sure I hit the mark. So far you have provided zero substance for your disdain of Carlin, and have done nothing but criticize the words I choose to use------definition of a semantic game. And you failed at that.

So if you want to argue with me about nonsense then I will just leave bro, I dont need another **** in my life. Where is your proof for Carlin giving bad history?
Moderator Action: You are responsible for everything in your post, including what you quote from others. Changed the inappropriate language.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

You don't have to look very far to find his dated views on history. For example in Wrath of the Khans I he first characterizes the spread of "hellenism" and "Roman culture" unequivocally as a Good Thing. Which I don't think has been presented by any credible historian in well over a century. He spends quite a bit of time haranguing "some historians" for praising his so-called "historical arsonists for a good cause". Again I don't know of any serious, credible historian that would present an argument like that. Even the notion of the Pax Mongolica as a singular and unequivocal good has become rather passé in the last two or three decades. Credible historians don't talk about history like that. He gets too much into this idea of a "clash of cultures" or "clash of civilizations". It's the sort of stuff that pop historians eat up, but it's not really something you'd see a well-read, well-researched post-modern academic historian push or publish.

With Jared Diamond you have to keep in mind that he isn't a historian, nor is he an anthropologist, and nor is he an archaeologist. His training and doctorate come in the field of geology. While possessing a PhD in any field is an achievement and a reflection on the deep intelligence of the individual, Diamond, it must be remembered, is an enthusiast of history and not an academic. His books are coming from the perspective of a geologist giving his thoughts on the academic debate. Predictably his arguments, particularly those dealing with geographic determinism in publications like Guns, Germs, and Steel come off as dated and out of touch with the current academic debate going on. He doesn't say much that hasn't already been presented and subsequently discarded by academia, and what remains has been presented and explained far more cogently and convincingly by other scholars.

I recommend people read books that are published by Oxford University Press because Oxford University Press, alongside Berkeley University Press are the two best, more current, and most credible sources for basic historical surveys. The editors and the writers they pick for the book almost always represent the top in their respective field, and they give a good mix of factual information based on the historical record and historiographical information about the study of the era. The real reason I would recommend a University Press like Oxford or Berkeley is that the Recommended Reading section is always helpful and, again, represents the most current research in the era. I would never go so far as to suggest substituting one University Press book for all research in a period or topic, but if you're looking for a great starting point for the budding historian, those sorts of books are well-written, well-researched, and most importantly, current.

Also I'd recommend you not to use the c-word. It reflects poorly on your character.

For example in Wrath of the Khans I he first characterizes the spread of "hellenism" [...] unequivocally as a Good Thing.

Is it not a good thing? :p Althought I may be a little biased because I am Greek. :p

There you go telling me what words I should use again...sheesh j/k man

I actually remember him being against the spread of "hellenism" and "Roman culture" even being considered good or bad. I will listen again to be sure.

What I interpret as your issues with Carlin is, he is criticizing the views of history that are well known to be out-date, i.e...Pax Mongolica. I am completely on board with that. But that doesnt mean what he is presenting is illegitimate. Look at it this way. If those historians that produce the University Press were not employed by said university, what kind of history would they produce to make a living? They have a family to feed. Certainly if they lose their integrity or credibility to sell books they deserve criticism. I dont feel like Carlin is guilty of that.

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/e/2/a/e2a1d0...1ce3dae902ea1d01cf8f33d8cd5e7313&c_id=4619666

Jump to the 10 minute mark. I dont hear that as "he first characterizes the spread of "hellenism" and "Roman culture" unequivocally as a Good Thing."

If your criticism is that he is overly dramatic and pushing "pop history", then I will agree with that. I am not bothered nor insulted by that fact. But I feel he is NOT GUILTY for the crimes you accuse him of.

As far as Jared Diamond goes, that dude is a beautiful human being, he has seen more in this world than I could ever hope to, and I have seen alot. You said "He doesn't say much that hasn't already been presented and subsequently discarded by academia, and what remains has been presented and explained far more cogently and convincingly by other scholars." What good is knowledge that is kept in a cabal?

I'm going to have to disagree with Owen, here, because while I agree Carlin has a bad habit of presenting outdated history (unfortunately, his shows often function less as a popular distillation of scholarly history and just as a digest of popular history), but I don't think he's actually a terrible place to start. What distinguishes him from a lot of the more hidebound popular historians, your Fire-His-Asses and the like, is that he really makes no pretence of offering a definitive explanation, and especially in his later episodes spends as much time dwelling on uncertainty as presenting factual claims. The comparison to Diamond seems particularly unfair, because what makes Diamond problematic isn't just this or that point of accuracy, but the fact that he asserts a Grand Unified Theory of History, something entirely absent from Carlin's podcast.

He's certainly not the best place to start in reading into a particular area, but I don't see any problem with a casual enthusiast listening to his podcast, finding their interest piqued and then going off to do more research. What Dachs and Owen seem to forget is that most people interested in history do not carry around a list of areas of particular interest, they take stuff more or less as it comes, and if Carlin's podcast exposes people to areas of history they otherwise have overlooked, that seems to me all the better. There's nothing to stop people from listening to Carlin's "Thor's Angels" and then going out an reading Halsall's Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West, and surely it's better that they dive into the subject in that order than they not do it at all?

edit: Although, for the record, I'm not on Cysquatch's side either, if only because I still have no idea what he's saying.

Let me present it this way. I was in the AF. I worked on the Predator in Las Vegas when they first started putting missiles on them. At the time, the "houses" errr cockpits for the pilots were on base at Indian Springs now Creech AFB. We could go into the house and watch Predator feeds. I remember seeing all kinds of destruction and carnage because they used Predators to overwatch air strikes. I remember watching an A10 do a strafing run on about 60 dudes and a Pathfinder. All you saw was dust and body parts flying everywhere. I helped build every single pylon that they put on predators to shoot missiles. My job was aircraft structural maintenance and we also had to help clean up crashes. Ive seen alot of nasty stuff as a result of air power.

I also play games with a descendant of Henry Louis Stimson. And I have read this book http://www.amazon.com/Atomic-Tragedy-Stimson-Decision-Against/dp/0801476291

So I really liked this episode http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/b/b/6/bb6...78503607&hwt=a0002601c3795940ddc2f29d70d9dedb

Am I guilty of confirmation bias here?

Actually I wasnt responding to you with my previous post, I did not see your edit.

I am basically trying to say this

I'm going to have to disagree with Owen, here, because while I agree Carlin has a bad habit of presenting outdated history (unfortunately, his shows often function less as a popular distillation of scholarly history and just as a digest of popular history), but I don't think he's actually a terrible place to start. What distinguishes him from a lot of the more hidebound popular historians, your Fire-His-Asses and the like, is that he really makes no pretence of offering a definitive explanation, and especially in his later episodes spends as much time dwelling on uncertainty as presenting factual claims. The comparison to Diamond seems particularly unfair, because what makes Diamond problematic isn't just this or that point of accuracy, but the fact that he asserts a Grand Unified Theory of History, something entirely absent from Carlin's podcast.

He's certainly not the best place to start in reading into a particular area, but I don't see any problem with a casual enthusiast listening to his podcast, finding their interest piqued and then going off to do more research. What Dachs and Owen seem to forget is that most people interested in history do not carry around a list of areas of particular interest, they take stuff more or less as it comes, and if Carlin's podcast exposes people to areas of history they otherwise have overlooked, that seems to me all the better. There's nothing to stop people from listening to Carlin's "Thor's Angels" and then going out an reading Halsall's Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West, and surely it's better that they dive into the subject in that order than they not do it at all?

I guess I am just not very well versed in the dialect around here, or Im dumb. I dont agree with the latter, but that could be confirmation bias as well...

Carlin is a great storyteller. I don't know why some of you are so hung up on him not presenting what you think is the correct interpretation of events. Just because interpretations are new doesn't mean they are right.

He's also pretty clear that he's not at all a historian and he's just trying to convey the general gist of the story. If you have an issue with him and his sources, he responds very frequently on his website.

Show 34 - Death Throes of the Republic I
The wars which elevate Rome to superpower status also sow the seed for the downfall of its political system. Money, slaves, ambition, political stalemate and class warfare prove to be a toxic, bloody mix.
Death Throes of the Republic I

Show 35 - Death Throes of the Republic II
Disaster threatens the Republic, but the cure might be worse than the disease. "The Dan Carlin version" of this story continues with ambition-addict Marius dominating the story and Plutarch dominating the sources.
Death Throes of the Republic II

Show 36 - Death Throes of the Republic III
Rome's political violence expands in intensity from riots and assassinations to outright war as the hyper-ambitious generals Marius and Sulla tear the Republic and its constitution apart vying for power and glory.
Death Throes of the Republic III

Show 37 - Death Throes of the Republic IV
Sulla returns to Rome to show the Republic what REAL political violence looks like. Civil war and deadly partisan payback will pave the way for reforms pushed at sword point. Lots of heads will roll...literally.
Death Throes of the Republic IV

Show 38 - Death Throes of the Republic V
The last great generation of the Roman Republic emerges from the historical mists. The dynamic between Caesar, Cato, Cicero, Crassus and Pompey forms the axis around which the rest of this tale revolves.
Death Throes of the Republic V

Show 39 - Death Throes of the Republic VI
In a massive finish to the "Dan Carlin version" of the fall of the Roman Republic, conspiracies, civil wars, beatniks of antiquity and a guy named Caesar figure prominently. Virtually everyone dies.
Death Throes of the Republic VI

Ya'll listened to the Blueprint for Armageddon podcasts yet?

I enjoyed the first and second parts a lot, although I haven't gotten around to the third part yet.

He is spot on in his descriptions. And it is nothing like they way the Great War is covered here in schools. I am itching for Dan to publish his next installment.

He certainly does a good job of hammering home the conflicting emotions of soldiers in the early part of the war!

I think that's one of the strongest defences of his stuff, actually, in response to the year-old discussion just above our heads. Carlin isn't always working on up-to-date history, but he has a knack for inviting us to place ourselves in the shoes of the participants. At the very least when he's working with modern histories for which plentiful primary documents exist.

That is one thing I love about his work. He even does that on the Wrath of of the Khans (as much as he could). Another thing that I really love about how he does his podcasts is tying what happened with the long term historical impact and how these events affect us today.

I've found his podcasts to be pop history nonsense for the most part. He hits all the points you want to hear if you've never studied the stuff, but god help you if you're up to date on any of it. You'll cringe harder than a kid seeing their parents having sex on the kitchen table.

Do you have any specific criticisms? I'll admit to being basically ignorant of the scholarship on most of the subjects he deals with.

Do you have any specific criticisms?

I could probably put together something after a relisten. It's been a couple years or longer since I listened to any of his podcasts. The main concerns I would like to express is the need to dramatize some events while shoving more important ones under the table, in the History Channel fashion. It brings in views, but it isn't particularly academic.

It's not my impression that Carlin is striving for an academic tone.

Top Bottom