Were Ancient Macedonians Greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're going to be strictly accurate with Ancient Greek, we have to shed our (Latin-originated) habit of stressing the penultimate syllable in each word and pronounce all syllables with equal weight, with only the variation in pitch. What do you mean you can't do a pitch accent?

And why not? 10 seconds of Google doesn't suggest that it translates to anything offensive, and I'm referring to Sicily, not the similarly named region of Turkey formerly called Cilicia. Now I'm curious.

And why not? 10 seconds of Google doesn't suggest that it translates to anything offensive, and I'm referring to Sicily, not the similarly named region of Turkey formerly called Cilicia. Now I'm curious.

Moderator Action: Please learn and follow the language rules of the forum. Constructing words to fool the autocensor is not acceptable. Sentence removed.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

@Kyriakos

How smart boy you are! another facepalm moment? Hell yes! :lol:

Moderator Action: Please do not troll in our forums.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Do you pronounce Caesar as Kaiser?

I do sometimes, but then I have to pronounce Julius Yulius and Venus Waynus (Latin didn't have the English J and V sounds). Julius's famous quote would be "waynee, weedee, weekee, which sounds like he had a speech impediment.

I'll do that too on rare occasions, although I can say I've never thought to do it for gods before. It's hard to think Venus is pronounced any other way than it is in English, weirdly enough.

I do sometimes, but then I have to pronounce Julius Yulius and Venus Waynus (Latin didn't have the English J and V sounds). Julius's famous quote would be "waynee, weedee, weekee, which sounds like he had a speech impediment.

Not in Latin it doesn't.

I'll do that too on rare occasions, although I can say I've never thought to do it for gods before. It's hard to think Venus is pronounced any other way than it is in English, weirdly enough.

Wait till you get to Nike (knee-kay). I have to say I always found 'authentic' pronunciation of naturalised Latin terms to be a bit pretentious: I'm all for 'wayney weedy weaky' and the like, but 'kensus' and 'Iulius Kaisahr' are pushing it.

I can't think of the last time I've had to talk about the goddess of Victory.

Wait till you get to Nike (knee-kay). I have to say I always found 'authentic' pronunciation of naturalised Latin terms to be a bit pretentious: I'm all for 'wayney weedy weaky' and the like, but 'kensus' and 'Iulius Kaisahr' are pushing it.

Actually Nike is pronounced Knee-Kee (Or Knee-Key, to use two english words of specific pronounciation).

Think of Nikephoros (bearer of victory) ;)

Weni, Widi, Wiki sounds like "I came, I saw, and I spent the next five hours clicking from article to article."

Modern Greek does - I was always told that the ancients pronounced it Neeké, but given that Sparta is Σπαρτη I can imagine it was more like 'kneeka'.

^As i am sure you know: E and A often were different endings (or other parts) of the same term, in distinct dialects of Greek. A great example would be Spartan quotes and analogous Athenian ones. The very famous Spartan phrase Ταν ή επί Τας "Tan H epi Tas" (either return with your shield, or on it), in Attic dialect was Την ή επί Της.

That's my point - final η in Doric is often written α in Attic, so I imagine that the general pronunciation of it wasn't that strongly different from α even in dialects which didn't make the change.

In terms of Y-DNA haplogroups, modern Slavic-speaking Macedonians are most closely related to Greeks, Romanians and Montenegrins:

Fragment from a Principal Component Analysis of European Y-DNA haplogroups:

With red dots I marked:

On the right: Romania and just next to it Central Greece
In the bottom: Southern Greece
On the left: Greece (average for entire country)
In the top: Macedonia (FYROM)

I have reservations about using ethnicity to define 'Greekness', especially in antiquity. It's not a coincidence that the verb ἑλλενίζειν, whose etymology suggests that it would be something like 'to be/become/do as a Greek' meant, from an early stage, to speak the Greek language. Indeed, given the dispersed nature of the islands of Greek settlement across the Mediterranean, the actual genetic makeup of those who did identify as Greeks was probably rather diverse.

I agree, but this graph is not as much about Greeks, but rather about the relationship between modern Greeks and other groups.

This data shows that these people have to a large extent common ancestry with some groups of Greeks, despite speaking different languages.

So do the Gagauzes, who now live in Bessarabia but before 1800 lived in Dobruja. They speak a Turkic language. Romanians speak a Romance language.

As for Romania - it begins to the north of the Danube, but many Romanians are descendants of Vlachs who migrated from areas south of the Danube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom