Gurra's Civilizations

Oh, I like that idea! I'll definitely look into it. Although I did see that regalman and Light in the East seem to be working on a Yuan civ already, and it would be more fun to do something new. :think:

Thanks for the tip, but I can't watch the video. Youtube tells me it doesn't exist... :crazyeye:

Edit: Ok, Youtube stopped being weird now. Nice music! Could work as either peace or war theme. They had some other music too and I liked this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXZKXwkg0y0&index=4&list=PLizsrxkccU3JrEByQKbQD31wEX0FDW5HL

Now if I were to use both of these, which one is peace and which one is war?

I couldn't listen to the first video, but I think the second one would be a very good peace theme.

Yeah I went with the second one for peace theme and the first one for war theme. They'll be in the next update which will be released quite soon. :)

So I was playtesting my update this morning and much to my surprise my faith-generated Guru had a name! No changes have been made to the Guru code that replaces the spawning GP with a Guru since it was implemented so I don't know why it all of a sudden worked as intended.

Anyway, update is coming sometime today. And I just have to share the amazing start location I had when I played with them this morning.

Spoiler :
Yes, that is Lake Victoria in the top right corner where my Settler is headed. And yes, that is El Dorado in the bottom left corner (which funded my Settler). Both very close to my capital. :D

The update for Sikh Empire is now released! It includes music and a tweaked city list. I have also made some minor XML changes to ensure compatibility with other Sikh civilizations such as DJSHenniger's, in case you want more than one Sikh civ at once. There is also added compatibility for JFD's Piety and Prestige mod even though that mod is not even released yet. :D

Something I'm looking to include sometime in the future is Events and Decisions support, but that probably won't happen anytime soon. More on that in my Updates and Things To Do post.

Hi, it's me again.

I have gone back into modding lately to work on some civ concepts I had, and I thought I could share some of my progress here. :)

Order of the Knights of Saint John (Knights Hospitaller)
Spoiler :
Leader: Jean Parisot de Valette
Unique Ability
Tuitio Fidei
+1 :c5faith: Faith from Forts and +3 :c5faith: Faith from Citadels. Never eliminated from the game, even when they lose their last city.

Unique Unit
Knight of St. John (replaces Knight)
Knight replacement that doesn't require Horses to be built. Starts with Medic promotion and when garrisoned in a city it functions as an Inquisitor (prohibits foreign religions to spread).

Unique Building
Grand Harbor (replaces Seaport)
Seaport replacement that also gives a defensive bonus to the city, +5 :c5strength: and +15 HP.

Spoiler preliminary city list :
Valletta
Rhodes
Mdina
Birgu
Tripoli
Basseterre
Senglea
Cospicua
Rabat
Marigot
Dingli
Cittadella
Floriana
Marsamxett
Fort Manoel
Fort Ricasoli
Mgarr
Nadur
Fort Chambray
St. Paul's Bay
Jerusalem (if Jerusalem isn't in the game and you make it to the bottom of the city list, you get to found Jerusalem as a reward!)

What is done:
- Most of the XML coding.

What is yet to be done:
- Art - all of it! This is why I shouldn't have gone back into civ modding because I. Suck. At. Art. I just can't make anything decent. We'll see how this goes. :p
- Balance - here is where I want your feedback, but also need to do some playtesting myself. Do the UA/UU/UB sound reasonable?
- Other minor things such as music and civilopedia entries which I will deal with when everything else is done.

Other than the Knights Hospitaller I also have another civ planned which is still in the early planning stages, and one that I'm not really sure I'll go through with. But here's a little sneak-peek, can you guess what civ it is?
Spoiler :
Oh, and for a UA idea I have for this second civ I could use some LUA help because I'm a LUA noob, I made a thread about that in the SDK/LUA forum: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=548452

By art, Did you mean this?

Yep, I meant icons and stuff. Nice work, and thanks! I was thinking I might want to learn to do simpler things such as civ icons myself though if I'm going to keep modding so here's my try at it:

I have yet to make it show up without the black background in-game though. I guess that will be my work for tomorrow. :D

If you need aid with art ask around! Do not feel shy. Most of the really high-tier people are often occupied but you can get stuff I think is really nice from plenty of people here!

Ooh, a Romani civ intrigues me...

I can do art, though I can't promise I'll do it super fast. I can do it fastish though. More interested in the Romani if that is indeed what it is (and based on the description of the UA and the fact that the Romani are the only thing mentioned on the wikipedia page for the city, I would say I'm right)

Design seems nice, but the faith from forts and citadels part has been used(or more correctly, will be used) in Age of Imperialism's Dervish state.

Design seems nice, but the faith from forts and citadels part has been used(or more correctly, will be used) in Age of Imperialism's Dervish state.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll try and think of something different because I also found out this morning that Firebug's Malta civ (which is similar to this one but seems to be focused more on Malta than the knights) already uses this too.

And yes, the second civ is indeed Romani. And no, it's a pure coincidence I came up with it roughly the same time as you did, Hoop Thrower. The idea for the UA just came to me a few days ago and for now that's pretty much all I have.

Romani Nation

Leader: ??? - Since there was no real Romani nation this is hard. For now I'm using mythical king Shibilis as a placeholder but I saw there have been a few claimants for King of the Romani over the years. But which one is best?

UA: Upon city growth, a Population Unit is born which can move to any existing Romani City or settle a new City.
Not sure if this is enough for a UA though, it's basically just "choose where your pop goes" and even if that is one nice advantage I have two concerns:
- will the AI be able to handle it? (or should AI Romani perhaps get a x% chance of spawning a Settler instead of growing?)
- is the UA too weak, should there be a second part to it?

No ideas for UU or UB yet either. All I really have is a UA and I barely even know how to code it.

Then there's cities. I made up a preliminary city list, mostly from this Wikipedia list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Romani_settlements
However, those are most of them quite modern and almost all of them in Eastern Europe. but it's not that simple to find information on Romani settlements since they have a very nomadic history. Capital is Sulukule, Turkey because apparently that is the oldest recorded Romani settlement in Europe.

I'm not too happy with this list though because I would like to find more historical settlements if possible, and also add some western European ones to make it more inclusive since there hasn't been any Romani Nation anyway. Plus, most of the self-proclaimed kings of the Romani I have read about seem to be Romanichal (from Britain) so it would make sense to include some British names on the list if I can find any.
Spoiler preliminary city list (I'm only sure about the order for the first 5 or so 'cities') :
Sulukule
Stolipinovo
Šuto Orizari
Cojasca
Armășești
Agia Varvara
Luník IX 5638
Slobozia Bradului
Vâlcele
Ungra
Alsószentmárton
Csenyéte
Jarovnice
Gilvánfa
Větřní
Sacromonte
Chánov
Jatagan Mala
Fakulteta
Ano Liosia
Letanovský Mlyn
Örnekköy
Nou Barris
Goveđi Brod
Janov
Kerinov Grm
Ayvansaray
Tokaito
Triana
Deponija
Hacıhüsrev
Nadezhda
Ayrancılar
Marinkova Bara

Something else I'm thinking about is their preferred religion. For now I have set it so that if you play with Tomatekh's Historical Religion mods the Romani will prefer Shaktism, which seems to be part of Romani religious beliefs even among Roma who adher to other religions such as Islam or Christianity.

But I'm torn whether to put Islam or Christianity as preferred religion for those without religion mods. The three settlements on top of my current city list are mostly Muslim-dominated when it comes to Roma population but overall a majority of Roma are Christian. And when it comes to Christianity, I thought Orthodoxy would be best since many non-Muslim Eastern European Roma adher to that, and also because it is overall preferred by less civs in the game.

Just a minor thing, but I tend to over-think details some time...

An update on the Knights Hospitaller:

This is going forward! I have made some changes to the concept and added some icons and stuff. I even managed to give the Knight of St John a Hospitaller cross for a unit flag! I know that's probably not very impressive around here but I have never made one (that works) before.

New UA: Tuitio Fidei
+1 :c5faith: Faith and +1 :c5culture: from Walls, Castles and Arsenals. Never eliminated from the game, even when they lose their last city.

New Leader: Philippe Villiers de L'Isle-Adam
Firebug's Malta has Jean Parisot de Valette so I thought it would be more interesting to have my Hospitaller civ use another Grand Master as leader.

Philippe Villiers seemed like a good choice since he rose to the position as Grand Master when the Order had their base on Rhodes, then lost to the Ottomans in the Siege of Rhodes after which the Order had no land for a couple of years (hence the second part of the UA). And during his last years as Grand Master, they established their new base on Malta.

I'll have a look around for music but if you have any suggestions, hit me up! I could also use some help with the following:

- A leaderscreen (and icon)! While I may have learned to do civ and alpha icons, leaderscreens are a liiittle bit out of my scope. :lol: If you would like to help me out, or can point me in the direction to someone who might, I would be very happy! I have this portrait of Philippe for refence as to how he looked:
Spoiler :
- Icons for UU and UB. The Knight and Seaport icons work for me right now but it would be nice to have unique ones.

In addition to that, I should look into making maps. Since this civ aims to cover all of the Hospitaller Knights and not just Malta I suppose the map should showcase the Mediterranean with both Malta and Rhodes on it, and possibly also the Kingdom of Jerusalem? And maybe their Caribbean islands in a corner somehow aswell.

I added danrell's Hospitaller Knight unit model for the Knight of St John and everything went well, except that they now don't have any horses :lol: (despite there being a KnightHospitaller_Horse file among the files). The model for the people that are supposed to be riding the horses shows up just fine though. :crazyeye:

Spoiler horseless knights :

Top Bottom