TnL get your facts straight (chart included)

intel latest 9xx - support TnL and shader 9.0 but in software acceleration

sounds like the one i have..... but on the srtest.com it said that it wont support TnL

Great post!

So frustrating that people dont know anything about video cards and yet think that the answer to all of these bugs are "get a new video card"

Make this a sticky!!

I've seen enough ignorant replys with "get a video card with T&L"

I am running the minimum video specs: GeForce 2 MX400 64MB, w/T&L and using latest Nvidia drivers 81.85.

Other than the opening game credits and intro, game has been running great! Though, I have read people having this same problem with 6800GT cards. So, that may be a software bug, or possibly an Nvidia driver bug (a heard that older Nvidia drivers were fixing up some probs, but haven't tried anything)

Logged in about 3 hours last night, with no probs with gameplay.

Point I'm getting at - don't rush out to plop down $200-$300 on a new video card just yet. Give it some time for a patch, or for these boards to populate with fixes.

Good luck!

So... as usual, my card does not appear because it is embedded. Anyone knows what column the Mobility Radeon falls under?

lightnng said:
So... as usual, my card does not appear because it is embedded. Anyone knows what column the Mobility Radeon falls under?

Which mobility Radeon? They all are based on desktop chips based i.e mobility Radeon 9700, x600 etc.

It could be original mobility Radeon (7000) which is not supported.

Thanks for giving me hope, Comraddict! My intel 915GM may or may not work... I should find out this weekend by installing a friend's disc on my laptop to see the outcome.

i understand from the great research that was done that my intel graghics controller (82865) does not do hardware TnL (intel claims it will do TnL with software but that is immaterial in this case.) My question to you techie types is: is there a way for me to put a video card into my system since the 82865 controller is part of an integrated chip.

Which mobility Radeon? They all are based on desktop chips based i.e mobility Radeon 9700, x600 etc.

I can only tell you what I can find...

I believe it is the M6-C16h, if that helps.

ATI tools calls it "ATI Mobility Radeon AGP (0x4C59)", it has 16MB DDR SGRAM on board, appears to use an AGP x4 bus, and it comes as part of my IBM X31.

That's the thing: it doesn't anywhere tell me something like 7000 or 9500 or whatever. The only thing is that odd number letter combo M6-C16h.

I CAN say it definitely supports T&L in hardware, but other than that I can find out very little *sigh*

Thanks com, good to know my crappy intel chip set is TOO OLD (at 6 months?) to work. justifies my buying new vid card....hopefully.

and carver, nice avatar. i have to say, that is some freaky crap. i was haunted last night in my dreams by hovering eyes and teeth. creeeeeepy!

Earlier I reported blacking out of terrain with a GeForce 4 MX440 vs. "failed to initialize renderer" with a Radeon 9600. I knew the card didn't support pixel/vertex shading and assumed this to be the same as TnL, consequently going back to the problem with ATI card. Thanks to this thread I know that to be false and with a driver update just got the Nvidia card to run Civ4 fine. (Well I started a game and could see the terrain anyway)

I still maintain, however, that since:

Radeon 9600 with reinstalled drivers/directX = "failed to initialize renderer"

and

GeForce 4 MX440 = Civ4 running fine on the same system with no other alterations.

Doesn't that eliminate Directx as the problem with the "failed to initialize renderer" error. Once again, I am not an expert and I hope this helps. And thanks to Comraddict for clearing up my misconceptions and getting me in game, even if its with my backup card.

Huge thankyou to Comraddict - this is a very helpful thread. I had searched everywhere trying to work out if my video card had T&L, but this place has all the info in one spot. Thanks heaps!

Psst, you omitted the GeForce FX 5600 and 5600 Ultra.

I have a GeForce 2 card. When I first installed the game worked okay except I could not read the city names and what they were producing. So I installed the latest driver for the video card and now I get the "failed to initialize renderer" error.

Any advice?

GeForce4 420 Go (mobile) may have TnL but most terrain graphics are black and leader heads are all shiny

There's a list at Intel of Intel products that don't support T&L. The statement at the beginning of the page may be misleading - the first sentence is "Intel® graphics products do not have hardware support for T&L". I don't know if this is true for all Intel graphics products, since it seems like there are a few people here who at least think that they have something Intel that supports T&L. The list on the page details controllers and chipsets that this applies to.

Comraddict said:

So a Mobility Radeon 7500 w/64MB ram is the same as a regular Radeon 7500? It looks as though mine should support T&L, however I'm still having problems.

Top Bottom