TnL get your facts straight (chart included)

frankophile said:
I have been looking at the Radeon 9250 and now that you have advised me that it will work with Civ IV I will probably buy it. Can you tell me a little more about the driver problems you had?

Also, an upgrade to 1 GB RAM is in the cards but not immediately.

Well, it worked on my machine...but can't guarantee it will work on yours. Keep the receipt if you buy it.

ATI drivers are notoriously bad...at least thats what i've experienced and heard from friends. I downloaded their newest Radeon 9250 drivers with CCC from ati.com and gave it a shot. It actually worked until the turn that i was going to beat the game. Every time on the victory screen turn, the game would crash to the desktop. I figured it had to do with some sort of graphics problem so I downloaded the Omega Radeon drivers, reinstalled Civ 4, and its worked perfectly since then.

Hope that helps, good luck.

PhillyPhanatic said:
Well, it worked on my machine...but can't guarantee it will work on yours. Keep the receipt if you buy it.

ATI drivers are notoriously bad...at least thats what i've experienced and heard from friends. I downloaded their newest Radeon 9250 drivers with CCC from ati.com and gave it a shot. It actually worked until the turn that i was going to beat the game. Every time on the victory screen turn, the game would crash to the desktop. I figured it had to do with some sort of graphics problem so I downloaded the Omega Radeon drivers, reinstalled Civ 4, and its worked perfectly since then.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Why are they different? Do you know?

I would not recommend buying Radeon 9250 in mid 2006. It is DirectX8.1 card - obsolete. If you can shell more money into Radeon 9550 or 9600.

auldian said:
He makes minor settings adjustments mostly for image quality and smooth gameplay.
http://www.omegadrivers.net/
His kit does not require .Net Framework, which the current ATI breed of Control Center uses. He includes a 3rd party "control panel" called ATI Tray Tools. Some prefer one over the other.

Okay I got a 9250. I read what the other person read about getting something more up-to-date but my computer is a ******ed Compaq. Now Civ IV works great. No complaints about that. But I'm having some problems with my display in other areas. I don't expect this forum to be the appropriate venue for such a discussion so I was wondering if there was somewhere I could go for advice and discussion. I would appreciate any help.:nuke:

frankophile said:
Okay I got a 9250. I read what the other person read about getting something more up-to-date but my computer is a ******ed Compaq. Now Civ IV works great. No complaints about that. But I'm having some problems with my display in other areas. I don't expect this forum to be the appropriate venue for such a discussion so I was wondering if there was somewhere I could go for advice and discussion. I would appreciate any help.:nuke:

I should also have mentioned I downloaded and installed the recommended drivers & stuff.

pleeease tell me mobility radeon 9000 will work

auldian said:
He makes minor settings adjustments mostly for image quality and smooth gameplay.
http://www.omegadrivers.net/
His kit does not require .Net Framework, which the current ATI breed of Control Center uses. He includes a 3rd party "control panel" called ATI Tray Tools. Some prefer one over the other.
Interesting when I read about Omega driver. Are Omega driver really make different from ATI driver?

What do you think? Is it worth to switch from ATI driver to Omega driver? Especially for Civ4?

Thanks!

Regards,
Arto.

Thanks for giving me hope, Comraddict! My intel 915GM may or may not work... I should find out this weekend by installing a friend's disc on my laptop to see the outcome.

How did the weekend work out? I have the same intel 915GM.

Thanks for giving me hope, Comraddict! My intel 915GM may or may not work... I should find out this weekend by installing a friend's disc on my laptop to see the outcome.

How did the weekend work out? I have the same intel 915GM.

I have a sis 650 can some one tell me if it has TnL please

Sorry mate but I have an sis 650m and It never worked, couldnt get rid of that stupid black screen.

I have since bought a desktop that runs it and I have to tell you causing such grief for so many people was not worth it as the graphics are not much chop anyway and I dont really care if I can zoom out and see the globe.

Civ is about the gameplay.

If you can borrow or rent the game to see if your one of the lucky ones whom it works for give it a try, some people got lucky.

Hey those all seem to be desktop cards, I have:
ATI Radeon Xpress1100
Didn't see it listed, and my Civ IV is completely non-functional. I'm hoping or praying this can be resolved with a quick fix but am losing hope. Thanks,

G

I'd just like to add a few more video-chipsets that I didn't see covered in the table.

3D Labs Permedia 3 - ?!? (has hardware T&L, but could someone try?)

Matrox G450/G550 - NO (no hardware T&L)
Matrox Perhelia - YES (could someone try the 'triple-head' 3-monitor mode?)

PowerVR Kyro series - NO (no hardware T&L)
S3 Savage3D/4/2000 - NO (no hardware T&L)
S3 SavageIX/Mobile - ?!? (could someone check this out?)
XGI Chrome series (Unichrome, Deltachrome, etc.) - YES (hardware T&L and Pixel-Shader 1.x)

SiS 3xx series (300, 305, 315) - NO (no hardware T&L)
SiS Xabre series - YES (hardware T&L and Pixel-Shader 1.x)
XGI Volari series - YES (...)

Trident "Blade3D series" (Blade3D, BladeXP, Cyberblade) - NO (no hardware T&L)

(some integrated graphics...)
NVidia Nforce2 IGP and later - YES (Geforce2/MX class, hardware T&L)
ATI Radeon IGP - YES (at least Radeon 9000 class, ..., pixel-shader 1.4)
Via K8M800/KM800 - ?!? (should be equivalent to S3 Unichrome)

--- even older cards ---
If you have one of the following cards, you need not bother trying to play the game! I mention these separately, because none of the following cards were ever equipped with 64MB (or more) video RAM. [The above cards are available with 64MB or more video RAM.]

Intel i740 - NO (no hardware T&L)
NVidia NV1 - NO (non-compliant 3D-pipeline, 'quartic surfaces instead of triangles')
NVidia Riva128 or TNT1/2, Vanta, LT - NO (no hardware T&L)
S3 Virge/Trio3D series - NO NO NO NO NO NO (sorry, couldn't resist!)
SiS 6326 series - NO (non-compliant 3D-pipeline)
Matrox G200/G400/G450 - NO (no hardware T&L)
Matrox Millenium, Mystique - NO (non-compliant 3D-pipeline)
Rendition Verite1000/2x00 - NO (no hardware T&L)

Okay, thanks for the list, but I'm still not sure. My brother has a "VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP," at least that's how it's listed on his PC. I believe it's also known as a VIA K8M800. Can I get a yes or no as to whether this has TNL?

Thanks,
Poocho :)

Hey those all seem to be desktop cards, I have:
ATI Radeon Xpress1100
Didn't see it listed, and my Civ IV is completely non-functional. I'm hoping or praying this can be resolved with a quick fix but am losing hope. Thanks,

G

I play on high settings with that card on one of my labtops, and can run large maps, possibly its a driver issue.

Hi, everybody. Please someone help me. I have a
Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 950
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A2&SUBSYS_FF001179&REV_03
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: igxprd32.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4906 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/19/2007 11:32:12, 57344 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: igxpmp32.sys
Mini VDD Date: 12/19/2007 11:32:12, 5854688 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-64E2-11CF-E361-0ADFA2C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x27A2
SubSys ID: 0xFF001179
Revision ID: 0x0003
Revision ID: 0x0003
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Not Available
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run
Can you tell me whether my laptop has t&l video capability to play BTS?If not which one should be best to change? (or do I have any option to fix it?) by the way my OS is Windows XP SP2
Thanks very much, I do appreciate any help.

Top Bottom