MOO2Civ

The Fall from Heaven 2 mod has implemented this race limited automatic unit promotion for orcs (and perhaps other units). Someone who has much more modding knowledge than I could look at that code as an example. Kael may even give you the relevant code if you ask.

As far as implementing the leaders, Fall from Heaven 2 is again a good source. That mod has unique (as in only one) units that can be built. Sort of like wonders (only one can be built for the whole game), but in unit form. That could be a way to implement the MoO2 leaders. A random event could spawn giving the race (civ) the ability to buy one of these unique units (instead of building them). To implement it exaclty as in MoO2, with varying prices depending on race picks, leaders already owned, state of game, and a limited (four slots) pool of owned or available-to-be-purchased leaders would require quite a bit of tweaking, but the FFH2 code may be a good start.

I'm not sure I follow your line of thinking completely: all races already have a 2 leader pick. What's missing for some are specific Traits and Leaderheads (some just feature as doubles).

You could define the planet (city) tiles on the map as being land and everything else as being water. Then the only way to get land units from planet to planet is with a transport.

Basically, this would mean rebuilding the entire map. I was thinking more like giving them a Paratrooper promotion, preferably combined with an Air Unit defintion with a movement range of one. (Which is how I implemented Rob-Warriors in my Civ2 trials for MOOjr.)

Hyborem of the Infernals is a non-player only civ in FFH2 that could form the basis of the Antarans. It spawns on the map after a certain wonder is built. I'm not sure how you could implement the alternate dimension as the location of the Antarans however.

Well, Nebula features as impassable terrain in Final Frontier, which could act as a separation between Normal and Alternate Space. A Space Radiation/Black Hole might be used as Dimensional Portal - to disappear upon discovery of a certain advance - preferably named "Dimensional Portal". (This would be the simpler solution, as Antares is just one Solar System in MOO2.)

Jeelen,

It turns out the install was hosed. After doing a slow step by step re-installation of the mod and patch 2, I still had a few startup errors. But I moddified the Civ4BuildingInfos.xml file and now the game will start up normally without any errors. :)

I have enclosed a copy of the modified file. Just over write the existing file.

V/R,

Orion Veteran :cool:

Attachments

• CIV4BuildingInfos.zip
    18.5 KB · Views: 124
I'll have a look at it and thx. Although I've never seen an Civ4BuildingInfos.xml error (and since DLing MOO2Civ I've started multiple games, as well as during fix-testing). Anyway, if anyone has the same problem (though none are reported as yet) I'm sure it'll be most helpful. So, thanks.;)

I'll have a look at it and thx. Although I've never seen an Civ4BuildingInfos.xml error (and since DLing MOO2Civ I've started multiple games, as well as during fix-testing). Anyway, if anyone has the same problem (though none are reported as yet) I'm sure it'll be most helpful. So, thanks.;)

PS: I would like to know if the error appears after the mod is installed, or after the patch.:confused:

PS: I would like to know if the error appears after the mod is installed, or after the patch.:confused:

The startup errors occurred after patch2 was installed. The lines in the Civ4BuildingInfos.xml containing:

"TRAIT_BROTHERHOOD"
"TRAIT_ASTROTECH"
"TRAIT_NEW_EARTH"
"TRAIT_SYNDICATE"
"TRAIT_THE_FORGE"

You said, "they might simply be replaced by civs actually present". That is exactly what I did. I put "TRAIT_SILICOID" wherever these traits appeared in the file. I'll let you decide how these entries should be distributed among the different races. My goal was simply to locate and eliminate the errors, as I prefer a clean startup over naging error messages. :thumbsup:

V/R,

Orion Veteran :cool:

I see now. Funny this didn't pop up earlier, though. Patch2 indeed fixes the Trait-related error messages, but only the ones that appeared when loading the mod. Since you followed the same procedure I see no reason not to include this patch-for-patch. (Though I would like to mention I don't get any more errors, it's good to have a patch - better too much than too little.) So, thx again!;)

Will start on Text editing tomorrow (there seems plenty to do in that area). Will keep you posted!

Current Issues

- no UUs or UBs as of yet (as a representation of racial ability only; for instance, Stealth Ship/Cloaking Device might function as part of the Darlok ability)
- Traits missing or not yet implemented for some of the Leaders (could also use some additional LHs as some are just doubles with a different name)
- no MOO2-style units (mod uses standard Final Frontier models all around)

In spite of what I mentioned yesterday, there isn't actually much text (XML) editing to do without the necessary artwork...:(

I have to correct myself again as all Advances researched still show Final Frontier texts. Haven't figured out yet how to edit these though, so any suggestion on how to proceed will be most welcome!

I have to correct myself again as all Advances researched still show Final Frontier texts. Haven't figured out yet how to edit these though, so any suggestion on how to proceed will be most welcome!

Well, each tech has a few tags which refer to its text, the text itself is then stored somewhere under Assets/XML/Text. If you know what to look for you should easily find it.

Tech definition :

Code:
		<TechInfo>
			<Type>TECH_CHEM_0</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_TECH_CHEM_0</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_TECH_CHEM_0_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<Help/>
			<Strategy>TXT_KEY_TECH_CHEM_0_STRATEGY</Strategy>
			<Quote>TXT_KEY_TECH_QUOTE_30</Quote>

All the TXT_KEY_... are the references to the actual text. The text then is found in the Text dir, at least that is the way it usually works. I have trouble locating some of the text for FF, the quotes are in FinalFrontierTextInfosPedia.xml however (and some of the other text in FinalFrontierTextInfosObjects.xml, but apparently not all).

Ah, yes. Well, I had to ask, 'cause I have promises from two artists so far, but no art forthcoming as yet.:( Well, gotta keep our hopes up!;) (Don't really know if there's a plural to hope as it's an abstractum...):mischief:

I hope I'm not one of the promised artists. I don't have time at the moment for modeling.

@lugaru: Thx!

No promises

Although I (and all MOO2 fans, I'm sure) wouldn't mind seeing a model or two, I'm currently working on a non-SciFi scenario myself plus I still need to edit the Advances texts to represent actual MOO2-content. (Also the first-content files need polishing, so to speak.)

I think that stealth ships shouldn't be UU, they should be national units instead. With limited number, for balance.

And Gnolam may have national trader ships, which act like great merchants in foreign colonies (but the output in gold is obviously much smaller).
Telepathic vessels for elerians, with great sight range (they are omniscient, remember? Maybe you could use it like a trait).

Also there's a question: what time period do you use? Moo2 or moo3 races? Because some of them are mutually exclusive. And while we have my fav. races in moo2, we have much more in moo3...

Thank you for your suggestions, Deon.;)

I'm not sure what you mean by "national unit". In game terms that would be a UU, wouldn't it?

On stealth ships: I was thinking of limiting access for non-Darlok races to one Stealth design and giving the Darloks access to all Stealth designs + a Spy bonus.

Telepathic vessels is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how to implement it. It would be nice to grant the Elerians visibility of the whole map, but as far as I can see, that would mean making a scenario. (We're not there yet.)

The problem with Traits, I think, is that they're currently linked to Leaders, not races.

EDIT: Actually, this is not a problem at all, so disregard.

And there are definitely more races in MOO3; maybe that's something for a add-on (i.e. for future development).

About telepathic - just make a promotion "telepathic" for all combat units which means +1/2/3 (you decide) sight range and simulates high perception.
VIsibility og the whole map is too unbalanced.

UU = unit, which replaces the unit type.
National unit - unit which have limited number (i.e. 4 in the map) and does not replace any common unit type, but is unique for the civ.

Top Bottom