Lyrics for Baba Yetu (For those who want to sing/read along)

This truly did make me cry also... as i heard it play on the Civ4 startup.... such a very inspiring song... You did an amazing job in getting the lyrics as much as you possible could. I cant thank you enough for it... now i'm singing this wherever i go... its on my ipod now too... amazing... amazing job.

Please take care =)

blackbanner said:
What .......... This Whole Time Ive Been Singing "our Lord Jesus" ......
Im Muslim I Cant Go Around Singing That
What Were They Thinking Puting In A Song Like That

You're right... it is very much out of context to what the game is ultimately based on, which is diverse civilizations with different gods and leaders who choose to rule countries with different beliefs, however, it is a catchy tune, now isnt it? Amazingly catchy.

The song is absolutely amazing! Unbelievable tears in my eyes when I first fired up Civ4!

sweKangaroo said:
in the intromovie-music wich is played right before Baba Yetu, there is a few lines of singing as well.

Does anyone know what they are singing?

This is when the camera zooms toward earth and through the clouds.
I quote myself on thisone, I hope u guys dont mind.

I dont know swahili, so I need some help here please ;)
Anyone who have some thoughts?

As someone mentioned, this other song is called Coronation - also by Christopher Tin:
http://christophertin.com/samples/Coronation.mp3

I tried myself to translate the few words in Coronation, by using this page:
http://www.yale.edu/swahili/

Since i dont know the language, this is what "i first thought" it sounded like when i listen to the song:
somma nane' corane libertivo
and at the end:
somneee eeee

These are the words i so far managed to find in the dictionary, that sounds a bit like the singing i hear:
msoma = dance, reader, one who reads
soma = recive education, learn by heart, study
nane = eight
kiberti (or viberti if many) = matchbox, match, sulphur
kivo (vivo if many) = great abdundance, great quantity, great surplus

And i think that the "corane' " word means something like "coronation".

Please help me translate this :)

blackbanner said:

Just a quick derail here, since this annoyed me abit. Jesus is a Muslim and a prophet in same way as Moses or Abraham to Islam. I find it bit strange that a muslim in faith would have such problems regarding to the opening track.

If you do not belive me, ask about final prophet and Isa from your Islam teacher or read yourself.

Christianity and Islam are not that far apart from each other you know. The big difference is in was Jesus son of god and who actually had the final word.

Other than derail, back on track, opening tune is just awesome.

coe said:
Christianity and Islam are not that far apart from each other you know.
I'd add Judism to that list as well. It's quite possible that Muhammed was influenced in his ideas of monotheism by the Jewish merchants who traded in Mecca in the 7th century.
Jews and Christians were considered "of the book" during the 8th-9th century Arab conquests. They were not forced to convert to Islam while other (non) religions were.

This song is really good. It makes me think of how songs are used for healing purposes. I have a lot of chants from India working with different energies (let's not dwell on that issue on this forum). Anyway i have noticed that this song really sets a good vibration. Good work Firaxis and Chris!

If you like to hear a similar but Indian, song, setting a similar healing vibration in your body, you can check out the album Namaste and the tune "Jaya Shiva Shankara".

-There is no way to peace. Peace is the way.

Coky said:
My thought EXACTLY when I read that. Being a christian, I love it when people sing that song and talk about how awesome it is. Then I Get to tell them that they just said their first prayer! Haha, just when they thought they were safe.

This whole “stealth religion” thing is starting to annoy me. I just realized I had communion a week ago and didn’t even know it. J/K :lol:

Anyway, I liked this song a lot, probably my favorite theme songs ever (next to the end credits of Star Trek: First Contact), but I still thing something like Adiemus, Only Time or Return to Innocence would have been more fitting. I don't really like the religion reference, it along with other factors make Civ4 look like it's all about religion.

LlamaGod said:
A bunch of Africans singing about Jesus...

That's always the first thing that comes to mind when I think 'Civilization'.
Moderator Action: Trolling - warned.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

(Note: I'm athiest - I don't particlarly give a rip what the song is singing about, I just enjoy good music. Ignorance such as this tho disgusts me so...)

The trivia question for the day for LlamaGod is...

What country was Jesus born in?

Extra credit:
What continent does this country share a border with?

Extra Extra Credit:
Which continent had Christian believers first? Africa? Or North America?

Extra Extra Extra Credit:
Do you feel completely foolish yet?

That's what I feel like, since I just spent an hour and a half searching the internet and different sources for the lyrics to this tune, when I came across this. :cry: I don't know WHAT made me think I was the first person to try doing this. :p

And I didn't even get any gold... :rolleyes:

SilverKnight

I love the tune too, and I'm an atheist - no, an anti-theist. Just turn the volume up, close yoru eyes and let the sound wash through your body. Prayer or not!

You'd be hard-pressed to find someone with a more pungent opinion than I of religion and its value (or lack thereof) to the world... and it doesn't matter to me where the song came from. It's really good music. And I don't think it's entirely inappropriate that a song with religious overtones was used in a game that is introducing the concept of religion.

When I first booted up the game, I just sat there at the main menu for a few minutes listening to the music. That's good stuff.

pvzh said:
Good thing that there are Music Off and NoIntro switches. Cannot think of more inapropriate music for CIVILIZATION, which is LATIN word in the first place. Civilization is roads, aqueducts, literature, legions, etc. -- the Empire whereas this music convey an image of savages singing in the jungle/savannah. It is not "Tarzan".

Moderator Action: Certain parts of this statement are clearly trolls. You can criticize all you want, but do it in a constructive way. Warned.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889
What a friggin' idiot.
You realize that the cradle of civilization was not in Rome - which, by the way, borrowed most of its literature and philosophy from the Greeks - but in the Middle East and Northern Africa, right?

I've did a quick mix of the two major versions together. You will be able to download it here: http://www.croxis.net/Baba Yetu - mix.mp3 At the time of this post it is uploading but should be ready in a few min.

I must warn all of you tho. Some of the parts clash (such as drum hits and metalic parts vs the mallet instruments). I'll play with various settings to bring in and out the two versions at various parts as needed. Yay Audacity!

EDIT - Now uploaded

Speaking of translating civilisation music, can't wait for someone to translate Allegri: Misiere. It's filled with lewd references :)

shackleton said:
Speaking of translating civilisation music, can't wait for someone to translate Allegri: Misiere. It's filled with lewd references :)

Allegri: Miserere translated:

Have mercy on me, God: according to your great mercy.
And according to the multitude of your tender mercies blot out my iniquity.
Wash me from my iniquity: and cleanse me of my sin.
For I acknowledge my iniquity: and my sin is always before me.
Against you only have I sinned and done evil in your sight: that you may be justified in your sentence, and fair in your judgement.
For behold, I was conceived in sin: and in sin my mother conceived me.
For behold, you have loved truth: and you have shown me your hidden wisdom.
You shall sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: you will wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
You will make me hear of joy and gladness: and the bones you have crushed shall rejoice.
Turn away your face from my sins: and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, God: and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not from your presence: and take not your holy spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation: and strengthen me with your spirit.
I will teach the unjust your ways: and the wicked shall be converted to you.
Deliver me from blood guilt, God, the God of my salvation: and my tongue shall extol your justice.
You will open my lips, Lord: and my mouth shall declare your praise.
For you do not desire sacrifice, else I would give it to you: you delight not in a burnt offerings.
The sacrifice of God is an afflicted spirit: a contrite and humbled heart, O God, you will not despise.
Deal favorably, Lord, in your good will with Zion: that the walls of Jerusalem may be built up.
Then you will accept the sacrifice of justice, oblations and burnt offerings: then shall they lay calves upon your altars.

blackbanner said:

Actually, it seems that in the recorded song, they replace "Yesu" (Jesus), with "Yetu", so it sounds more like:

So Baba yetu, yetu uliye
Mbinguni yetu, yetu, amina!

Perhaps to avoid conroversy. Anyway, with these changes, it could a fitting song for any Monotheist to sing. (Unless they don't beleive in Evil, or reject the idea of God being a "Father")

Top Bottom