Key factors for UUs and UBs.

the greeks start with hunting

EDIt.I guess with the landskect its the availability/longevity would be ranked low.As charlemagne you have access to a unit earlier thats just as effective-His PRO X-bows,which come with machinery.If your not facing castles/knights or war elephants you may not even go for engineering.So I would say on jastrows 3 criteria thats all low marks.Also they have an effective counter-X-bows kill pikes,at least maces have a fighting chance,and a higher strength for attacking citys.

Bowman is just an archer,compare it to other archers,its not as good as a skirmisher with its base 4 strength,and not much of an improvent to other civs PRO archers,especially sitting bulls with his totem poles.So realy when you get into the maths(which I dont,but many others do)they dont have much effect at all on the battlefield,except some niche circumstances-like your facing axes and swords and dont have metal or horses-which is pretty rare.

QUESTION
to Elitetroops and other experts:

Do these numbers influnce only chance of DoW, or they influence other diplomatic ability, such as a chance to Capitulate, Give you present or demanding, etc?

Also, does this connect somehow with War Weariness?

If so, than the value of this factor could be rised.
Power rating also has an influence on their willingness to become your vassal, either by capitulation or as peace vassal. And you need to be above some certain level to make demands (when AI is cautious or lower towards you).

While the higher soldier count for a UU might sometimes make a difference, it's not a very significant difference. If you are warring with praets, the war will be over faster mainly because you have unstoppable praets, not because your power rating allows earlier capitulation.

the greeks start with hunting

EDIt.I guess with the landskect its the availability/longevity would be ranked low.As charlemagne you have access to a unit earlier thats just as effective-His PRO X-bows,which come with machinery.If your not facing castles/knights or war elephants you may not even go for engineering.So I would say on jastrows 3 criteria thats all low marks.

Bowman is just an archer,compare it to other archers,its not as good as a skirmisher with its base 4 strengh,and not much of an improvent to other civs PRO archers,especially sitting bulls with his totem poles.

True again. So the factor for greek and HRE that they have equal analogues in the time or even early. So, if we change this factor into positive, what should it be? Uniqueness?

Power rating also has an influence on their willingness to become your vassal, either by capitulation or as peace vassal. And you need to be above some certain level to make demands (when AI is cautious or lower towards you).

While the higher soldier count for a UU might sometimes make a difference, it's not a very significant difference. If you are warring with praets, the war will be over faster mainly because you have unstoppable praets, not because your power rating allows earlier capitulation.

Thanks for the answer. Didn't know this fact at all.

As for ranking this factor, it could be used for peacemongers. There are also some situation, when your enemy doesn't want to capitulate and you are unable to destroy him completly. So, fast drafting an army could be useful in diplomatic way also.

I think, the diffence is also more significant in early eras, when there are not much buildings, techs and populations. And the difference among 4000 and 3000 much better than among 10000 and 9000.

And you didn't answer about influence on War Weariness? IIRC, types of unit have no matter to it, but maybe I don't know smth.

War weariness depends only on number of kills (and if they are offensive or defensive, and in or out of your territory). The strenght of the units is irrelevant.

As for ranking this factor, it could be used for peacemongers.
Not really useful for peacemongers. As I said, to avoid DoW you'd often need more army than you'd need to go to war yourself. That's not the peacemonger way. A peacemonger should aim for one warrior/city plus whatever is needed for HR happiness, then use diplomacy to avoid becoming a target.

There are also some situation, when your enemy doesn't want to capitulate and you are unable to destroy him completly. So, fast drafting an army could be useful in diplomatic way also.
With a big emphasis on 'could'. In most cases you will be far ahead in power by taking out their core, as you get their population to boost your power and they lose their biggest cities and usually their main stack in the process. If they refuse to capitulate when they have a couple of small remote cities left, then most likely power rating is not the problem. It's more likely that you don't have enough war success on them since the last cease fire.

This is always the problem with threads like these. There are situations where just about anything 'could' be good. Even the bowman, I suppose. And people like to tell stories about that one time when they used useless UU X with great results. The rating system should recognize that every UU could be useful in some situation and not give any points at all for that. You don't need a UU to have something that might be useful in some rare situation, any unit can do that. The good UUs have a noticable impact on the game just about every game you play with them.

I think I once had no metal and attacked monty with horse archers and used the bowmen as support/stack defense. But it would probably have been possible with only horse archers.
Again, I think one function of the bowman is to make rushes against Babylon harder, for the human player "passive" units are rarely very useful.

QUESTION
to Elitetroops and other experts:

Do these numbers influnce only chance of DoW, or they influence other diplomatic ability, such as a chance to Capitulate, Give you present or demanding, etc?

Also, does this connect somehow with War Weariness?

If so, than the value of this factor could be rised.

I think the nitty gritty details on how the AI plans to go to war is posted here.

I agree what elitetroops said that if you rely on power rating solely, the threshold is unattainably high sometimes. Most of the time, diplomacy plays a bigger part in preventing a DoW.

Top Bottom