Guess the New Civs

so, now i'm guessing that the last civ will be sumer, though it's possible that it's going to be portugal, since it seems like they want massive amounts of europeans.

As I've been saying... no need to spend a good chunk of early time researching the tech that gives you pastures, PLUS can see horses, PLUS get a bonus from them = early worker can make Attila's Court very productive very fast, lending itself well to an unorthodox early wonder rusher.

The horse archers will lose their abilities as you go through it, so they're limited in influence time... but upgrading the battering ram will take you through the standard rifleman > infantry path, keeping its city bonus right through the game as well as picking up the pikeman's 100% vs horses.

Plenty there that can be used well throughout the game, the production bonus alone could be on a par with or even better than Russia's UA with the abundance of sheep and cattle.

It's still an all or nothing civ... you have to commit to expansion and war right from the get go. If you have those resources and get the UU's early on, you will win. If the terrain is not right or you start off slow, you lose. No chance of gaining ground.

so, now i'm guessing that the last civ will be sumer, though it's possible that it's going to be portugal, since it seems like they want massive amounts of europeans.
lisbon a city state. mercantile most likely that is.

I am guessing Australia is the ninth civ.

:hmm::lol:
That would be crazy!
If we are going to represent modern nations that did not much and did not have much unified history(great empires) then the world is really upside-down!
One of the rare things that I like about the makers that they never chose modern nations (1750-present).
If we are going to add modern nations then the world will end.

That would be crazy!
If we are going to represent modern nations that did not much and did not have much unified history(great empires) then the world is really upside-down!
One of the rare things that I like about the makers that they never chose modern nations (1750-present).
If we are going to add modern nations then the world will end.

America?
India can be seen as a representation of its modern self, rather than the more ancient empires.

The simple fact is there are only so many great empires left. They've done most of the real world spanning empires, the only real exception is Portugal.

So now we have:
Netherlands (William I)
Celts (Boudicca)
Mayans (Pacal)
Byzantines (Theodora)
Carthage (Dido)
Huns (Attila)
Austria (Marie Theresa)
Ethiopia
So we only need to guess one more civ, right? Or is Spain the ninth civ?

Spain is one of the civs avaliable,because of the "Medieval scenario",but there will be a new civilization . It's very possible that this civilization will be avaliable on "Empire of Smoky Skies" Scenario . Guessing which parts of the world would be avaliable on this scenario would help to find out what is the last civ remaining .

Spain isn't part of the 9, they said in the interview "9 brand new civs, 10 if you haven't bought Spain's DLC yet"

EDIT: I think Empire of the Smoky Skies isn't going to have any existing civs, it'll be pure fantasy. I think maybe someone with a rather large and steampunkey moustache

Okay, thought so, but wasn't sure.

So we only need to guess one ...

Well, we can be quite sure it won't be a European civ.
Probably an asian civ when I look at the spread. There are lots of European civs, one American civ, one middle-eastern civ and one African civ.
And the Huns. Don't know what continent they'd belong to :p

Edit:
Oh, and do I get a cookie? :p

So, if the Huns are in (which I really hope is not the case), I'd wager a unique horse archer and a unique catapult (or some other siege weapon).

Okay, thought so, but wasn't sure.

So we only need to guess one ...

Well, we can be quite sure it won't be a European civ.
Probably an asian civ when I look at the spread. There are lots of European civs, one American civ, one middle-eastern civ and one African civ.
And the Huns. Don't know what continent they'd belong to :p

Does Carthage is an African or Mediterranean civ? I'm pretty sure Huns is an European Civilization .

Well, the Huns could have a unique city art style, like Polynesia. Yurts and such. Yurt-scrapers in modern age! :D But if not, they should have European city models, it just seems fitting. They didn't have pagodas, even in the far East.

That would be crazy!

Which it technically is (at least the Northern Hemisphere is), from an Australian point of view :lol:

I'm psyched about Austria and Ethiopia. Great choices, and Austria's UA sounds very good. I'm now even more certain that the Zulu will appear as a post-expansion DLC, given that including them as the 9th Civ now would detract from Ethiopia, which is IMO one of the best inclusions.

So, assuming that there's no Zulu in the xpac, and we already know there won't be Portugal, who will the final slot go to?

I'd really like to see the Hittites, but given that with the Celts, Carthaginians and Huns they are already adding 3 Ancient/Classical era Civs, another one seems unlikely. The main geographic regions missing from the xpac so far are North America and Asia, so my guess is a Civ from one of those two regions. Most likely Indonesia or possibly the Khmer, or the Sioux, if they can make them different enough from the Iroquois. I wouldn't rule out the Inuit either - gameplay-wise, I think it would really add something to see a Civ with snow and ice-related bonuses.

It won't be Portugal, but I think you're right about Sumer. I'm a bit disappointed though. I really wanted the Zulu back in the game, and Sumer is entirely uninteresting to me. It is too similar geographically to Babylon. The game really needs to include more than one more African civ at this point.

Australia, as some have mentioned as a possibility, would also be entirely uninteresting to me too. Although Polynesia is silly, it also provides the opportunity for an extremely unique ability. Australia does not do that. What would make Australia so unique? It's a modern nation without any claim to any status of a super power or anything close to it, nor anything that makes it even unique. They might as well add Canada to it then.

I think another possibility would be another Native American civilization or South American civilization, but still thinking that it's going to be Sumer.

So now we have:

Spain is free it would be the tenth civ. In for the penny and in for the pound.

I think Kongo or Tupi would be good choice. We dont have civs that get UA bonus from jungles - these civs could be good "jungle civs".

Australia or Canada would be just horrible. They are represented well enough with England, France and Celts. They would be very uninteresting civs. They dont have unique language or culture and their own history is very short. Even if we had 50 civs in the game I would not include Canada or Australia.

When we are talking about India I would like to have Asoka as their leader.

I think that they (should) have Brazil be the ninth civ. it's a modern civ, becoming a global powerhouse, ex colony of Portugal (which would make for interesting games versus the city state), and would be the first South American civ that exists today (to my knowledge).

Top Bottom