Lyrics for Baba Yetu (For those who want to sing/read along)

hmm. i think i prefer the civ 4 remix of the track. They basically blend the civ 3 intro theme with the baba yetu lyrics, and it sounds fantastic for the game. The tribal version is a bit...off, it seems. the drums sound much thinner.

I LOVE this version! I will slow down my selection just to hear this song! Happy hopeful epic tune.

Great song, I have the chorus stuck in my head
Now I know what I am actually singing maybe it will go away

Funny thing is I assumed it had to be a religous song or tribal chant
:goodjob: for the translation

henry k c said:
I couldn't agree more. The music sounds like a bunch of babble. I think the music for civ should be sung in a language that has an alphabet. Does anyone know how to change the music for civ 4?

this member is arguably contributing to the trolling, intentional or not, with such naive/ignorant and implicitly racist comments...

swahili has been written in alphabetic form since at least the 18th century

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/swahili.htm

Chris' version is definitely much better than Civ IV's modified version, but I understand Firaxis wanting to underlay the Civ percussion track to the song. The only problem I have with Chris' version is that the percussion doesn't come through. If you think about it, the original forms of this music wouldn't have had any voice amplification (well, or solo singers...) so the percussion would have been more dominant. Civ IV's version allows the percussion to hit stronger, but it's pretty lousy percussion, so I can't really praise it.

Point: If you are judging the song based on what you hear in Civ IV, you are judging the wrong thing. Go listen to Chris' version.

=$= Big J Money =$=

MSTK said:
I actually learned Tolkien's Elvish (Quenya). It's not like I'm ever going to run into an Elf on the street one day, but it was a fun experience.

A friend of mine is a Dwarf, can you help me with the Dwarfish?! (I'm A fantasy-literature great fan/Junkie even If I'm I'm not very young anymore....). You should know that, Because of yr thread, My wallet is 48 (22 + 26 just for transport costs) USD lighter! I just bought the SHINE album containing the original Baba Yaru!

It is the best song/music I found in a PC game since Fantasy General and Morrowind!

While I prefer the Civ4 remix, you can feel that Chris' version is more true to the Swahili effect.

What a great thread, it's fantastic that you can find this here.

Okay, to add further confusion....if you go to Amazon.com and listen to the free sample of Baba Yetu there, it's yet a DIFFERENT song altogether. Still, a very good song, but much slower, and this one even seems to have slightly different lyrics than the one Christopher Tin used.

So to sum up, Talisman has recorded two different songs called Baba Yetu: the one on Civ4, that's downloadable in its original version from www.christophertin.com; and a much smaller and less epic (but still quite good) version available on Amazon.com for download and purchase.

Clear as day.

Does anyone know the story behind:

Soundtrack\Classical\AncientSoundtrack2.mp3

?

Is it also composed by Tin? Are the vocals also done by A Capella? Does this song have a name? A story of any kind? It's kind of nifty :)

christopher tins' version seems to concentrate more on the voices involved and is not so much about the powerful instrumental. The firaxis version seems to give it a more epic feel though!! I like both

Coky said:
Being a christian, I love it when people sing that song and talk about how awesome it is. Then I Get to tell them that they just said their first prayer! Haha, just when they thought they were safe.

I don't understand this statement. I like this song, and some of the greatest music ever written is overtly religious in nature (Bach, Handel, etc). I'm not religious at all - I'll judge this on its musical merits.

That's why this is dross and Baba Yetu is ace.

LlamaGod said:
A bunch of Africans singing about Jesus...

That's always the first thing that comes to mind when I think 'Civilization'.

is there something wrong with that? African-Americans started so many genres of singing

Myself, I would have preferred a bunch of Indians singing about Krishna, but it seems your post is here purely to troll.

My two cents, great work in translating the texts.
I'd never gues me being captivated by pure religious music, but the sound of the song is great.
Thanks for puting it up for us all to enjoy, for it sounds "hevanly". :goodjob:

never been to a southern baptist church, have you? You know, the ones where African descendants sing rousing songs about Jesus?

Or all the spiritual churches in africa and asia? Yeah, thought not.

LlamaGod said:
A bunch of Africans singing about Jesus...

That's always the first thing that comes to mind when I think 'Civilization'.
Moderator Action: Trolling - warned.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I know folks from Tanzania and Kenya - and they are Christians! Some people are so ignorant of the world they live in!

Good catch Mods!

What .......... This Whole Time Ive Been Singing "our Lord Jesus" ......
Im Muslim I Cant Go Around Singing That
What Were They Thinking Puting In A Song Like That

Top Bottom