Unit Design

-mines and quarries produce 1 extra hammer

I think we should skip this; too strong, and too much like the clanmanship civic.

getting extra food is beyond me

The idea of extra food was that you can have slaves working on farms. Agricultural labor was a huge part of what slaves did. But the point of giving +1 food +1 unhealth is that you only actually get extra food if you have the health resources to support the slaves.

gives access to Slaver UU

Why do we need a slaver UU? It makes more sense to me to assume that every unit tries to capture slaves. Its much cleaner if we just give a global x% chance slave capture from combat to all units with slavery civic,

---Slave pit 1 gives +1 unhealth, -1 food, +1 hammers, temporary duration.
---Slave pit 2 replaces slave pit 1 and gives +2 unhealth, -2 food, +3 hammers, temporary duration.
This seems way too weak. I'm supposed to give up 1-2 food just in exchange for 1 hammer? I could get that easily enough by changing which tiles my normal citizens work.

If the buildings are temporary, then the bonus needs to be significant.

Temporary buildings that randomly expire could also be pretty confusing/frustrating for human players. In particular, what if you have the level 1 building for a while, then build the level 2 and 3 on top of it, and then it expires. You'll feel kindof bait-and-switched.
If the expiration timer is reset when you upgrade, then you have incentives to *delay* adding more slaves to a city, which is also weird.

Its important that the buildings get created in the same way that a great scientist creates an academy. The AI understands that method. So they aren't being created by spell.

As for UBs;
Can you even *have* a unique building created by a great person in this way? They're all generic slave units, how can they create different units for different races depending on who is controlling them?

I think so but how can we make the building go away if the civic does?

I know this can be done, but requires python I'm guessing.
In the Dunewars mod, the catchbasin and reservoir buildings are removed from cities if you ever leave the Way of Liet civic. Ask DavidLAllen about that if you need some help.

It would be sleazy to have slavery buildings temporary duration, replenished with fresh slaves but would the AI get it?

I think the AI would probably get it (as long as the buildings were created a la great scientist/academy); the AI can create academies, and it doesn't need to understand why the old academy was destroyed in order to create a new one.

Also; you could have the bottom level building be permanent with low benefit, the middle one on a long duration (30 turns) with medium benefit and the top one on a short duration (10 turns) with large benefits.

Low: +1 food, +2 unhealth, +1 hammer.
Med (replaces low): +1 food, +3 unhealth, +4 hammer.
High (replaces med): +1 food, +4 unhealth, +4 hammer, +25% hammers.

how about being able to turn slave units into combat units like the Doviello?

I'd prefer to keep slaves as great people.
The fewer things the slaves can do, the better the AI will understand it.
Much easier if all units are just built with hammers.

Another thought; we might want to have the buildings NOT replace the lower level ones if they are temporary, and keep the effects separate rather than cumulative. That way if the level 3 one expires you still have the level 2 one underneath it. That might not happen if the buildings get replaced?

Some thoughts....

Witchelves (replace pikemen). Strength 6, can use metal weapons, +25% vs melee, +25% vs shock cavalry. (Doesn't require palace, this is an unncessary restriction).
Um…it doesn’t make much sense for this to replace Pikemen. Black Guard made a LOT more sense. And aren’t Witchelves arcane anyway? It’d make more sense if they fit somewhere in the mage unit line. I like the idea of having the Witchking's Guard too. I mean, we got the Phoenix Guard, why not have their opposite? (And the current graphic for them just looks badass.)

~~Besides, see lower down please...~~

Can't think of a real flavor name, maybe Blast Furnace and mention in pedia that it's a brutal smelting operation crewed by slaves being worked to the death.

I think WH fans will expect us to have Cauldron of Blood as a large battlefield unit with support effects; though I know the Druchii do already have a long armylist. Maybe a cap 1 national unit replacing Cannon (reqs Metal Casting?) with a chance to add Frenzy promo to nearby units - any other suggestions?

I like both these ideas.

On the Cauldron, I think since the Witchelves are so heavily associated with this proposed unit that having this unit might satisfy that unit. Meaning that you don't really need Witchelves if you have the Cauldron. (Yeah, some fans may b*tch about not having Witchelves as their own unit, but tell em how long the unit list is.) And remember I really favor Black Guards over Witchelves as the Pikemen UU. Can’t stress that enough.

Anyway, I'd assume the Cauldron would be a unit that "can only defend"?

If harpies aren't aircraft, then they're too similar to manticores, which share the same unit slot.

I agree think this is also a bad idea. Sharing a unit slot, when there’s only 3 or 5 for the cap -- not a good idea. Plus, I really see harpies as significantly weaker. (In fact, your proposed unit strength suggests this.)
So, why not just make them an aircraft unit? With 5 national cap. That’d be good. They should have like a 3x3 range imho, as well. That reflects that they can’t go too far from the Druchii strongholds. Furthermore, since the Druchii are prolly going to be suffering from a lot of barb attacks, having a unit that can weaken those barbs from the mid game (or wherever they'd come in) would be nice. And giving Band of Shades the ability to carry Harpies would give some more versatility to the battlefield.
FfH really failed in the aspect of aerial combat. Please don't do the same. Especially since the games workshop site and the army books specifically have units that would work in civ adapted as aerial units. I really miss aerial combat myself.

Dark Pegasus rider (replace troll)

So, a minor question. For the civs that have generic trolls, are trolls gonna be melee units? Wouldn't make much sense for a troll to be an aerial unit...

Swordmasters of Hoeth (replace pikemen). Strength 6, can use metal weapons, +25% vs melee, +25% vs shock cavalry.
(Doesn't require palace, this is an unncessary restriction).

Phoenix guard (crusader). Require fanaticism tech. Strength 4+2holy, can use metal weapons. +25% vs demon.

Witchelves (replace pikemen). Strength 6, can use metal weapons, +25% vs melee, +25% vs shock cavalry.

Executioner(crusader). Require fanaticism tech. Strength 4+2unholy, can use metal weapons. +25% vs disciple class.

Weren't the Pikemen UUs and Crusaders (at least for the DEs and HEs) originally str 8? May I ask why you've decided to change that? AND may I ask why all the Pikemen UUs and Crusaders for all Empires aren't str 8. I'd assume these units would be far enough up the tech tree that str 8 wouldn't be OP. Plus, since I assume there'd be a national cap of 5, it's not like there'd be anyone overrunning and conquering with Pikemen UUs or Crusaders. Str 8 would be a lot better imho, for ALL Pikemen UUs and Crusaders.

Edit: Actually...more on Pikemen below.

Doublepost

Um…it doesn’t make much sense for this to replace Pikemen. Black Guard made a LOT more sense

Maybe then we should make Black Guard as a royal guard unit, make the witchelves the "crusader" unit (with unholy strength representing their magic), and move Executioners to the Pikemen slot?
This is the kind of feedback I need, I am not very familiar with Warhammer canon.

FfH really failed in the aspect of aerial combat. Please don't do the same.

I'm trying not to :)
There will be a bunch of low strength fighter units (pegasus riders, etc.) in the monster taming tech slot.
There are a few more flying units (like harpies) that can be stronger fighters or weak bombers in the monster breeding slot. And then a few more bombers like the gyrocopter.
There are a few beasts like griffons, manticores and dragons that will actually be normal monsters with flying rather than aircraft.
And then archer units (and the flying beasts like dragons) will all be given SAM-trooper style intercept chances.
It seems a shame to me not to include aircraft given that the Civ AI already knows how to use it.

3 range on harpies is too short for the AI to ever really use them.
And band of shades etc. acting as aircraft carriers isn't something the AI will use, so its probably too much of a player advantage.

For the civs that have generic trolls, are trolls gonna be melee units?
Trolls are a Beast class unit (as opposed to Melee class or Shock cavalry class or ranged class). Half the recon units get a bonus against beast units (those of "terrain-oriented" civs rather than civilized skirmisher civs) as do a few other units like dwarven Slayers.
I don't think we need to have a separate class for aircraft either.
"aircraft" is something handled with tags, not with unit class.

Weren't the Pikemen UUs and Crusaders (at least for the DEs and HEs) originally str 8?

Not quite. Pikemen are strength 5/7 and some of the others are strength 6 (halberdiers), but they get +2 strength from iron weapons, which you pretty much always have by this point in the game.
So the unit stats I give are the core, and then iron weapons get added to that.
So these are as tough as they were before; some factions have 5/7, some 6, some 6/5, some 7/5, some 5/6, and one 5/8 I think.

Plus, since I assume there'd be a national cap of 5
This slot has a cap of 10, same as knights, longowmen, xbowmen, handgunners, etc.

Um…it doesn’t make much sense for this to replace Pikemen. Black Guard made a LOT more sense.
Maybe then we should make Black Guard as a royal guard unit, make the witchelves the "crusader" unit (with unholy strength representing their magic), and move Executioners to the Pikemen slot?
That’d be perfect! Imho, that works best. Witchelves are really a religious unit in a sense, being the sorta priestesses of Khaine, the God of Murder, so making them the “crusader” would fit. And then there’s NO qualms about all this, no b*tching about Black Guard, Executioners, or Witchelves competing for the slots. Genius, man, genius!

3 range on harpies is too short for the AI to ever really use them.
And band of shades etc. acting as aircraft carriers isn't something the AI will use, so its probably too much of a player advantage.
True. Didn’t think of that. I usually forget to think about the AI unless I notice them dying off from barbs. :lol:

For the civs that have generic trolls, are trolls gonna be melee units?
Trolls are a Beast class unit (as opposed to Melee class or Shock cavalry class or ranged class). Half the recon units get a bonus against beast units (those of "terrain-oriented" civs rather than civilized skirmisher civs) as do a few other units like dwarven Slayers.
I don't think we need to have a separate class for aircraft either.
"aircraft" is something handled with tags, not with unit class.
Ah, ok. That all makes sense. K, I get it now.

Plus, since I assume there'd be a national cap of 5
This slot has a cap of 10, same as knights, longowmen, xbowmen, handgunners, etc.
10. That’s a lot better actually. I was thinking 5 was a little low.

My Thoughts On Pikemen:
I'm looking through the 1.5 version pedia now. I see the regular Pikemen Regiment is 5/7:strength: (with 1 first strike, +25% with melee, & +%50 mounted). ~~Note that, except when stated, all the UUs have the same starting bonuses as the regular Pikemen Regiment.~~ The Bretonnia UU (Men-at-Arms) is 5/6:strength:. The Asrai UU (Wardancer Troupe) is same stats as the regular Pikemen Regiment (with Elven race promotion). The Estalian UU (Tercios Pikemen Regiment) is 6/8:strength:. The Empire UU (Halberdier Regiment) is 6:strength:. The Sylvanian/Lahmian UU (Skeleton Halberdier Regiment) is 5:strength: (with Undead). The Nehekhara UU (Ushabti) is 7:strength: (with Fear & Golem). Then the DE and HE Pikemen UUs aren't in the 1.5 pedia. But based on the above posts, we will assume the following: the Druchii UU (Executioners of Haar Ganeth) is 6:strength: (with +25% vs melee, +25% vs shock cavalry, & Druchii race promotion) and the Asur UU (Swordmasters of Hoeth) is 6:strength: (with +25% vs melee, +25% vs shock cavalry, & Elven race promotion). ALL can use metal. With iron, that'd make the units respectively(starting with the regular Pikemen and going through the UUs as I listed them): 7/9:strength:, 7/8:strength:, 7/9:strength:, 8/10:strength:, 8:strength:, 7:strength:, 9:strength:, 8:strength:, & 8:strength:.

Thoughts on the UUs.
Note 1: For reference and cuz I'm not sure if you've changed the promotions (ya know, in the process of updating from 1.5 to FF base code), in version 1.5, the following promotions do the following: Elven race promotion gives +1 movement, 1 extra first strike, +50% resistance to death dmg, & Immune to both Diseased and Mutated; Undead gives -50% resistance to Holy dmg, +50% resistance to Unholy dmg, Immune to poison dmg and Fear, & not alive; & Golem gives -5% heal in Neutral lands, -10% heal in Friendly lands, & Immune to poison dmg, death dmg, and Fear. (Of these 3 race promotions, Golem, with it's -x% heal rate, makes the least sense. Subject for another thread.) Also, note that, except for their names, the Elven and Druchii race promotions are exactly the same.
Note 2: I've included several spoilers (inside the main spoilers) below. These are basically ramblings. I kinda compare a few of the civs to RL historical civs that they resemble, i. e. Estalia to Medieval Spain or Bretonnia to a French version of King Arthur's Britain. So, read them if you want. But you may wanna skip them. I'm just kinda typing down my thoughts here. When I do this, I tend to ramble sometimes, particularly if something can be compared to something else.

So, let's look at the Elven UUs first. (Cuz I'm an Elf lover at heart, well...a Dark Elf lover really. :p)
Spoiler :
Druchii: good unit, excellent graphics btw, doesn't really need any work imho. Asur: same.
Asrai: Well, the Druchii and Asur Pikemen UUs also use swords, in their cases heavy 2h swords. I think that since the Asrai UU Pikemen also uses swords, in its case 2 longswords, it should also have the same starting bonus as the Druchii and Asur Pikemen UUs (with +25% vs melee, +25% vs shock cavalry, & Elven race promotion). For these three units, that makes sense. Since none of them use actual spears, it does NOT make sense that they have a +50% bonus against shocked cavalry. I also assume that "shock cavalry" are different than "mounted". "Mounted" naturally covers all units on horses/boars/cold ones/etc., while I'd guess "shock cavalry" covers units like Knights but NOT units like Light Cavalry.

Airight, now let's look at the Human UUs (and Sylvania).
Spoiler :
Bretonnia: a little weaker on the def than other Pikemen Regiments, but I think that works thematically. The pedia says that Men-at-Arms are basically peasant regiments outfitted, trained, and maintained by Feudal Lords. As such, I wouldn't expect them to be as good as units that are officially part of a standing army.
Ramblings on the why:
Spoiler :
Bretonnia is essentially a nation made of up of many, many Feudal Lords. (I spose there could be a mechanic made to reflect this, but tbh it'd be a lot of work for you guys and Bretonnia is already VERY good flavourwise. It just wouldn't do a lot of good when you have a LOT of other things to do. I could see some Bretonnia lover doing a modmod later to reflect it [like some people have done modmods on the Amurites and Bannor in FfH], but it's definitely NOT important enough to worry about now.) These Lords all swear allegiance to the King of Bretonnia.
(Bretonnia seems to be very inspired by "Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table" Great Britain but having a French sorta flavor, with many references to "The Lady of the Lake" and "The Grail", albeit lacking a Round Table or Merlin. Also, Gilles Le Breton seems to be a sorta French flavored version of Arthur, and Louen Leoncoeur seems to be a French flavored version of Richard the Lionheart of England.)
So, while there is no division between Bretonnian Lords when Bretonnia goes to war against another kingdom, we can assume there are rivalries and wars between various Feudal Lords when the King of Bretonnia doesn't require all Feudal Lords march their forces to war against another kingdom or for common defence. (The Crusades against Great Araby, for example :) Or defense against various Orc or Chaos bands that rise up -- the source of 2 events in 1.5.) In other words, lots of infighting when they got nothing else to do. It's not all out civil war; it's just "Lord 'So-and-So' hates Lord 'Such-and-Such'. So Lord 'So-and-So' attacks Lord Such-and-Such' and burns his castle and pillages his lands. However, when a Renegade Necromancer or a Band of Orcs starts ravaging the countryside, both Lords 'So-and-so' and 'Such-and-Such' unite with the other lords and destroy the undead/orcs." And neither lord engages in their private feud while Bretonnia is at war.

Estalia: This UU is strong on the def. I spose this is to reflect that Estalia, like Spain in the 1600s, had very well disciplined and well trained Pikemen. So, flavorwise, I think this makes sense.
More Ramblings on Why:
Spoiler :
The Spanish Pikemen became veterans in wars in Holland, Germany, and Northern Italy. We can assume that, at some point, the Estalian Empire does similar Imperial machinations. (I don't know enough about the lore to know for sure, but it makes sense, based on the flavor of this civ; to me, this civ's flavor is VERY Spanish. You'll notice that I'll prolly compare several civs to RL historical counterparts. This is mainly cuz of the fact that the WH Old World is shaped a lot like Europe. In fact, the WH World in general is shaped very much like RL Earth.) Jose' Paul, in particular, seems like the type to mess with other civs politics and influence. And while the WH World doesn't really have a Vatican and Pope figure (the Grand Theogonist of Sigmar doesn't count), I can see Jose' Paul intervening militarily in other civs' business, for the sake of his fellow worshippers of Myrmidia. And since Jose' Paul is a man who isn't of the nobility, being more a leader from the church, I can see him feilding units like Tercios Pikemen Regiments and Longbow Regiments (or, in late game, Handgunners and Conquistadore style cavalry) as opposed to raising a large amount of Knights. These units are prolly supported and raised by various cities, at the behest of Jose' Paul.

The Empire: This UU is a pretty decent all round unit. It's not leaning towards either def or att, but is good at both. I could see myself using this unit as mainly part of my "Stack of Doom" invasion force.
More Ramblings:
Spoiler :
Btw, The Empire strongly reminds me of RL historical Germany, or as it was called then "The Holy Roman Empire". It's in the same spot, relatively. The Empire has Electors and does seem significantly more united than the Holy Roman Empire ever was (until Bismarck and Frederick William of Prussia united Germany completely), but is still somewhat divided politically. The Elector Counts, while they prolly don't pursue any active rivalry, prolly have numerous political and economic rivalries. I can see a lot of jockeying for power by the Electors.
There two major differences between the Holy Roman Empire and the Empire. First is the Colleges of Magic in Altdorf (and their wizards who have various ritual sites throughout the Empire, particularly the Amber Brotherhood). Second is the patronage of Sigmar and the lack of religious division in the Empire. (In the Holy Roman Empire, many civil wars were actually religious wars, in which foreign powers often intervened.) Plus, the enemies are different. The Empire battles Chaos Undivided; the Holy Roman Empire battled various parts of itself, Russia, the Ottoman Turks, and Italy.

Sylvania: This UU is definitely the weakest. I'd suggest maybe bumping it up to either 6:strength: or 7:strength: (prolly 6:strength:). However, I understand the rationale for that. Based on what I've read in a few topics, undead units, as a general rule, tend to be weaker than most of their living counterparts. That being the case, maybe attaching the "Eternal Army" promotion to this unit would be a good idea. Or alternatively, changing the cap from 10 to 12 (even 15, but 15 may be too much). Since Necromancers usually try to triumph by raising overwhelming no.s of undead, giving the Vampire Counts the ability to raise a few more of these guys would reflect that.

And finally All the Rest:
Spoiler :
Lahmia: Since the Lahmian and Sylvanian UU is the same, see the comments for Sylvania above.
Nehekhara: This unit is another that is good all round. Though, it's +1:strength: morethan the Empire UU. Again, this unit'd prolly be mostly part of my "Stack of Doom" Invasion Force.
Great Araby: no Pikemen UU for this civ, at least in version 1.5. There are a lot of other things to work on, I'm sure, before you get to this civ. Honestly, I don't think that Araby should even have access to Pikemen. They're more a civ who uses Camel Archers, Light Infantry, Light Cavalry, and has a large navy.
And...Ramble...;):
Spoiler :
I don't know a lot about this civ from the army books, as I don't actually own any army books. My main source of WH info is the games worshop site, which doesn't appear to sell any of the older army books. So, I can't really research them a lot directly.

Lustria: Like Araby, no Pikemen UUs in version 1.5. And again, these 2 civs are civs who won't use Pikemen a lot. Based on the games workshop site, the Lizardmen use their Slann Mages, Skink Mages, Temple Guards, and Saurus Cavalry (Cold Ones Riders; yeah, the Druchii aren't the only ones with Cold Ones ;)). Their Temple Guards could be fit into the Pikemen UU spot, BUT I think that unit'd fit better as the Royal Guard UU.
Amazonia: Another with no Pikemen UUs. I don't have the army books, as I've mentioned. And the games workshop site doesn't seem to have this civ. So, I'm very much in the dark as to what they should have. I could do some research, which I prolly will. But, for now, I don't know crap about Amazonia.

Edit:
Looking at the Tomb Kings Thread, I see the Ushabti is actually sposed to be 6/7:strength: (with same starting bonuses as the regular Pikemen Regiment & Undead race promotion, NOT Golem as in 1.5). So, it's more meant to be a def unit than an att unit. However, it's still strong enough to be a good att unit. With iron, it'd be 8/9. Give it the right promotions & this unit could be murder on your enemy.

My Thoughts On Pikemen:

There are some changes from 1.5 (we removed a lot of the excess first strikes, for eg), but yes otherwise the strengths are similar to what you have there.
Black orks move to the pikemen slot, as do chaos warriors. I think these guys are 7/5 pre-metal.
Wardancers will have higher base strength and first strikes, but no metal access.

Note 1: For refernce and cuz I'm not sure if you've changed the promotions
Yes, there are some changes to these.
High and dark elves are +1 move and +1 first strike chance.
Wood elves is double moves in forests, +10% forest strength +20% ancient forest strength.

These are big bonuses, and so the civs get other penalties to compensate; high elf population is -10% food, -10% milprod, +3 health, +20% GPP. Wood elf is -10% milprod and they can't build mines, but they can build in forests. Dark elves is -10% milprod.

If you want to see the current design intentions, here are links to most of them (a few are in the private forum). Many of your suggestions are already incorporated here.

The unit slot isn't just a "pikemen" slot, its a generalized Advanced Melee slot.

Faction design:
Beastmen: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=313730
Chaos Dwarves: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=313960
Ogres: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=313877
Vampire counts: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=291659
Greenskins: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=301877&page=2
Kislev: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=292506
Dwarves: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=291330
Estalia, Tilea, Ind, Araby, Cathay, Nippon, Skaven: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=290972
Tomb Kings: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=293441
Salvation religion: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=290986&page=3, Post 45
Chaos religion: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=290986&page=3
Recon units: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=293049
Empire, Brettonnia, Kurgan, Norsca, Hung, Wood elves: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=292016
High elves, dark elves: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=291493&page=3

We split "mounted" into shock cavalry and missile cavalry.
So "light cavalry" (renamed lancers) and light cavalry are Shock cavalry, while horse-archers and (gunpowder) Cavalry are missile cavalry.
Shock cavalry are vulnerable to spears and get bonuses vs ranged units; horse-archers are vulnerable to archers and get bonuses vs melee units.

Some of the old design threads haven't been updated; anything that says it gives +x% vs mounted will instead give that vs shock cavalry.

Ahriman said:
There are some changes from 1.5 (we removed a lot of the excess first strikes, for eg), but yes otherwise the strengths are similar to what you have there.
Black orks move to the pikemen slot, as do chaos warriors. I think these guys are 7/5 pre-metal.
Wardancers will have higher base strength and first strikes, but no metal access.

Ok, cool. Figured there were some changes at least.

Ahriman said:
Yes, there are some changes to these.
High and dark elves are +1 move and +1 first strike chance.
Wood elves is double moves in forests, +10% forest strength +20% ancient forest strength.
Ok, got that change down. The WE change is particularly good flavorwise, btw.

Ahriman said:
These are big bonuses, and so the civs get other penalties to compensate; high elf population is -10% food, -10% milprod, +3 health, +20% GPP. Wood elf is -10% milprod and they can't build mines, but they can build in forests. Dark elves is -10% milprod.
K, balancing the bonuses with some offsets.

Um...dumb question...what does "milprod mean"?

Ahriman said:
If you want to see the current design intentions, here are links to most of them (a few are in the private forum). Many of your suggestions are already incorporated here.
Cool. I copied all those urls in a word doc. AND I guess we all must've been thinking alike somewhere, since you're saying you guys already implemented many of my suggestions. :D That's pretty encouraging, since we'll be working together from now on. :king:

I'm so damn excited!!! :clap: It's just like --> :xmas: Christmas!!! YAY!!!!!

I realized that, while the Druchii (aka Dark Elves or DEs) have a Royal Guard UU, the Asur (aka High Elves or HEs) do not. Now, I went here, http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat50007&rootCatGameStyle=. I found a couple of things. Notice there are 3 "Elite units": Swordmasters of Heoth, which is currently the HE Pikemen UU; the Phoenix Guard, which is currently the HE Crusader UU; and White Lions of Chrace,which we are NOT currently using. (For the record, I'd prefer if we drop the "of Chrace" part and just name the unit "White Lions". And, yes, I'm about to propose a change here; I'm about to suggest more fluff. ;))

Since, as I understand it, the HE units aren't all implemented, lemme suggest this change.

Swordmasters of Heoth. (Stays as is, HE Pikemen UU).

White Lions. Make Crusader UU. Have the following: 4+2holy:strength:, can use metal weapons, & +25% vs. demon. Requires fanaticism tech.

Phoenix Guard. Change (from Crusader UU) to Royal Guard UU. Have the following: 8:strength:, can use metal weapons, +25% vs. Melee Units, and starts with Bodyguard promotion. Requires Engineering tech.

The reason I suggest this is that I think it's kinda stupid for the DEs to have a UU for Pikemen, a UU for Crusader, and a UU for Royal Guard; while the HEs do NOT. I'd rather not make 1 of these 3 DE units a generic unit to fix this. Of course, it's not really a problem. But it is something that's fairly easy to change. So, why not? Make it equal. Cuz, for the HEs and DEs, their 3 UUs (for Pikemen, Crusader, & Royal Guard respectively) are fairly elite units. I feel like these 3 UUs help add a lot of distinctive flavor and define your strategy more closely.
Yes, tbh, there's no real difference beyond name and graphics in the HE version of these UUs and the DE version of these of UUs. But so what? I think the other units these 2 civs have does enough, almost more than enough, to define flavor and uniqueness.

Finally, I'm unclear on this. What is the national limit on Crusader units? If there is currently no limit, might I suggest a cap of 5. That seems fair to me.

I know it seems I'm being very anal, very picky. And, trust me, I'm not doing this to criticize you guys or to be a jerk. This isn't the "new guy comes in and becomes an ass*hole" syndrome. I'm just offereing my opinion. I usually write what comes to me as I read through these things. I'm trying to offer constructive ideas here. That's my main goal. So, take everything I'm saying with a grain of salt. And please DO tell me if any ideas you have. You'll prolly think of things I have not. :) So, to communication and friendship! :beer:

I'm happy to make White lions the crusader unit, and move Phoenix guard to be the royal guard.
This sounds like some good flavor.

The royal guard is already highly elite though, for *every* faction. The core unit is strength 8, with +25% vs melee.
You want to add +1 first strike and 10% city defense and +25% vs beasts on top of this, in addition to the +1 movement and +1 first strike chance from the high elven racial promotion.
That sounds a bit too powerful, it seems like normal royal guard stats + the high elf racial promotion are probably sufficient, and it can get ithrilmar with meteoric iron, which is better than the normal meteoric iron available to other factions.

I don't understand what your issue is with the weaponsmith/meteoric iron design. You can certainly ignore it for now, we will implement this separately when we get the meteoric weapons and steel weapons to work properly.

I think the limit on crusaders is intended to be 4, but I'm happy to make it 5.
*edit*
You'll notice that the promotions "Ithrilmar Armor" & "Adamantite Armor" are exactly the same.
Yes, thats intended. The difference is pure flavor. I would have no problem with making them slightly different but equal strength, but thats easy to tweak later.

Basically, some factions (greenskins and other uncivilized races) can't get any meteoric iron at all.
Normal civilized races, like the Empire or Cathay, can use normal meteoric iron for a moderate bonus.
High and Dark elves can get improved meteoric iron on many of their units.
And dwarves get the best, a full +1 strength.
Still not sure about daemonarmor.

All of these though are only applicable to higher-end elite units; basically knights, royal guard, pikemen replacements and some crusader replacements.

The royal guard is already highly elite though, for *every* faction. The core unit is strength 8, with +25% vs melee.
You want to add +1 first strike and 10% city defense and +25% vs beasts on top of this, in addition to the +1 movement and +1 first strike chance from the high elven racial promotion.
That sounds a bit too powerful, it seems like normal royal guard stats + the high elf racial promotion are probably sufficient, and it can get ithrilmar with meteoric iron, which is better than the normal meteoric iron available to other factions.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize it was scaled down from version 1.5. Yes, I will definitely revise it so it's the same as the rest of the Royal Guard UUs.

Edit: Changed it above.

I don't understand what your issue is with the weaponsmith/meteoric iron design. You can certainly ignore it for now, we will implement this separately when we get the meteoric weapons and steel weapons to work properly.
Nah, never mind. I've decided it's not really an issue. I thought about it some more real quick. And it doesn't matter. Forget all I said about it.

Edit 2: Deleted that comment above.

I think the limit on crusaders is intended to be 4, but I'm happy to make it 5.
4 is fine.

Wait a sec...below is the stats for the core unit as displayed here, http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=301998.

Ahriman said:
Royal Guard. Strength 8, can use bronze/iron weapons, 1 first strike, +10% city defense, +25% vs beasts, +25% vs melee, Bodyguard. Requires iron, requires Citadel.

I was suggesting exactly the same stats for the HE Royal Guard UU (now Phoenix Guard). Unless you downgraded from the core unit. In any case, I don't wanna suggest anything different from what the core unit has.

You're looking in the wrong spoiler tag.

The first section is the current ie "old" stats.

The updated "new" stats are in the second spoiler section.

You're looking in the wrong spoiler tag.

The first section is the current ie "old" stats.

The updated "new" stats are in the second spoiler section.

Ok. Duh, my bad. Forgot to scroll down. :lol:

I'm running on a low amount of sleep, just so ya know.

Blackguard yeah!

For slavery civic btw, what about the UU being the Executioners of Har Ganeth?

These bad boys run the major slaving port the dark elves iirc.

Blackguard yeah!

For slavery civic btw, what about the UU being the Executioners of Har Ganeth?

These bad boys run the major slaving port the dark elves iirc.

I think they require Tyranny in the old version. Personally, I think Tyranny fits them better.
And Black Guard wasn't attached to a specific civic iirc.

Top Bottom