Civilization III Complete or Civilization IV Complete?

wii46

Chieftain
Hi!

I've downloaded the Civ 3 demo. It remebers me Civilization II and it only means one thing : FUN!

I know that with my computer it's very difficult that I will be able to play Civilization V, so I am going to start with of those : Civ 3 Complete or Civ IV Complete?

Which is better? Is anything is Civ 3 missing in Civ IV? I have the impression that Civ 3 is a really classic Civ, and Civ IV is not.Or am I wrong? I'm seeing in Civ 3 lots of things that I have not seen in Civ : spying, rebellion, corruption...

This is a similar question to one I was about to ask...
As I will be playing a lot more Civ 4 than 3 (of which I am an avid player) due to unforseen circumstances, whats the main differences between the two?
Also what the good mods? (looking for the caliber of AOI, Rhye's ect.)
Thanks!

Which is better? Is anything is Civ 3 missing in Civ IV? I have the impression that Civ 3 is a really classic Civ, and Civ IV is not.Or am I wrong? I'm seeing in Civ 3 lots of things that I have not seen in Civ : spying, rebellion, corruption...

Isn't there a demo for Civ IV? I went for Civ IV Complete and the only reason is the hope of a better AI and maybe it's a little bit better. Otherwise it's still basically the same Civ (II) like in the good old days.

The Civ III late-game almost made me quit playing Civ.

However, Civ IV (Beyond the Sword) was awesome enough to rekindle my passion.

I have the impression that Civ 3 is a really classic Civ, and Civ IV is not.Or am I wrong?

Yes you are wrong. For many people Civ 3 is considered the low point in the series and Civ is the peak. Civ 4 has set a new standard for the franchise that will be hard to beat in the next version. Go for Civ 4 and forget about 3.

I much prefer Civ 4 over Civ 3.

Some of the added features in Civ 4, such as religion or how espionage and diplomacy are handled, adds more depth to the game. I believe now you can find both for about the same price so I would go with Civ 4.

I have trying the demo some hours more, and then I started with Civilization IV. I completed the tutorial, and then I went with Beyond the Sword (I have the Complete version, so I have Warlords too)

To sum up : Civilization 3 uninstalled.

Both? I'd have to give up sleep entirely if I played multiple versions of the game! One is enough for me and I'm with wii46 on this one. Civ IV for the win.

After years of experience I've come to the conclusion that I'll drop my rejection of older titles. I still play Civ1 and there are very good mods that are worth playing even in the version that I've enjoyed least: Civ3. Did you know that there is this excellent mod (by Rhye I think) where actually you have religion, slavers, camel archers and many more. Many of those not encountered in later games.

x x x x x

I think Civ IV is better if you buy vanilla and the two expansions. Civ IV has better mechanics than Civ III.

For one thing, I think the Maintenance systems in Civ IV for controlling Empire growth works better than Civ III's Corruption and Waste system. Corruption and Waste made cities far away completely useless, because they couldn't provide any income or produce anything.

Also, Military units have single Strength values rather than separate Attack and Defense values. It actually works better, since units have different bonuses against other units and on different terrain. For example, Tanks don't get defensive bonuses based on terrain, and Spearmen get extra strength versus Mounted units. Unit promotions also work better, rather than just giving more health, you can sort-of customize your units by giving them higher strength versus Melee units or when attacking cities.

I agree with the majority here. Civ 3 is a great game and I would still be playing it if 4 had not come along.

I agree with the majority here. Civ 3 is a great game and I would still be playing it if 4 had not come along.

I don't. Civ III was a dead loss - I'd still be playing Freeciv, or not playing Civ at all. Civ IV was a revelation, a sudden moment where I realised that this was the game they always meant to write all along.

I am not sure. I like Civ III but there are somethings that are clear better in Civ IV! The promotions is a fun huge improvement, being able to have units in your allies cities makes a lot of sense, the health system is better than the yierd corruption system, etc.

However I did miss some of the items of Civ III, like the attack and defense value being different, being able to break an open border agreement, etc
One thing I miss is the high variety of Scenarios in III. As it was easier to make "MODs" there were more and more diverse, with things that I've not seen in IV (different technology tree per type of Civ for instance)

I loved Civ, loved Civ2 even more, hated Civ3, love Civ4. BtS is, at this point, the pinnacle of Civ.

Good to know I'm in the majority. I started with III and played the heck out of it. I still would if it wasn't for BTS and RFC. I tried to get into II but didn't like it. I didn't feel I could see what I was doing. I still play III at times to get a break from BTS.

One thing I like a lot better in IV is the diplomacy. It makes more sense in IV and you no longer simply bribe your way to a UN victory.

Just out of curiosity, why all the hatred for Civ 3? I mean, Civ 4 is unquestionably the better game, but what specifically about Civ 3 did everyone dislike? I really enjoyed it.

I would certainly play 3 over 5.

Just out of curiosity, why all the hatred for Civ 3? I mean, Civ 4 is unquestionably the better game, but what specifically about Civ 3 did everyone dislike?

I'm not sure "hatred" is the right word, but it just felt like, at best, an expansion pack for Civ 2.

Just out of curiosity, why all the hatred for Civ 3? I mean, Civ 4 is unquestionably the better game, but what specifically about Civ 3 did everyone dislike? I really enjoyed it.
In my case, it was the late-game frustration as oil dried up and you realized WW4 really would be fought with sticks and stones.

Top Bottom