After years of playing, what new things have you found in Civ 4?

Academies don't double their cultural output after 1000 yrs! :eek:

/have someone ever built academy just to hold border city from holy city culture?/

That seems like a waste of a GS to me. Unless it's very early game, you can quickly build a theater (which gives 75% of the :culture: you get from the Academy) or just run an artist (which gives the same amount).

...my 2:gold:

I know it's been three months since anyone found a new thing, but in my current game, I found that if you gift a UU to another civ, it stays as the UU (rather than reverting to the base unit).
Spoiler :
Napoleon spawned FDR as a colony, and apparently gifted at least one musketeer to FDR.

I know it's been three months since anyone found a new thing, but in my current game, I found that if you gift a UU to another civ, it stays as the UU (rather than reverting to the base unit).
Spoiler :
Napoleon spawned FDR as a colony, and apparently gifted at least one musketeer to FDR.

Too bad you can't take a gifted UU from another civ back to your capitol, copy it and start building it yourself. That would make for some interesting game play.

Too bad you can't take a gifted UU from another civ back to your capitol, copy it and start building it yourself. That would make for some interesting game play.

Actually, I believe there is a modcomp that will allow you to do that. I believe it is in the AND 2 mod, and is called ethnic diversity. If you capture an enemy city/UU, you will be able to build that UU later on.. Been awhile since I've played AND 2, but I've been keeping a real close eye on their thread ever since Afforness came back.

People probably know this one, but I found a military application for Great Artists (sort of :p).

Thing is, when you make a great work in a city, that city comes out of revolt. This means that you can capture an enemy city and instead of having that city in revolt for a dozen turns, you can get it working for you instantly, complete with border pops.

This can speed up your advance, give you extra turns of production or shrine income, and possibly allow for some cunning tactical manoeuvres.

Next time you go to war, don't forget to include an artist in your stack! :lol:

You can build railroad on the city tile, handy if your vassal havent researched railroad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The good old spies and engineers of Red Alert 2.

Oh god, you just made me remember that game. Lord, I haven't played that in years... Maybe I should pick up a copy.

Do You remember ye' ol' Alamo map ? ;)

Actually, I believe there is a modcomp that will allow you to do that. I believe it is in the AND 2 mod, and is called ethnic diversity. If you capture an enemy city/UU, you will be able to build that UU later on.. Been awhile since I've played AND 2, but I've been keeping a real close eye on their thread ever since Afforness came back.

I don´t know about AND2, but in RoM-AND a custom game can use an Assimilation option which means that cities acquired from other cultures keep their original culture for the purpose of building/upgrading UUs and UBs. For example, a former portugese city builds carracks and upgrades triremes to carracks

I don´t know about AND2, but in RoM-AND a custom game can use an Assimilation option which means that cities acquired from other cultures keep their original culture for the purpose of building/upgrading UUs and UBs. For example, a former portugese city builds carracks and upgrades triremes to carracks

Yup, that's the one I meant. My thanks for clarifying.

Two things: The first is one I just never noticed, or maybe it just hadn't happened in one of my games until now. I took over Civ A's city, which bordered Civ B, with which I had no Open Borders agreement. Before my culture could push back Civ B's border, Civ A brought a stack through Civ B's land and attacked my city. I could not attack the stack due to it being in territory for which I had no access, even though the stack was directly adjacent to my city and he could attack me with impunity. Very frustrating.

I don't know if this is a "new thing", but I always thought that if an AI had a higher diplo number for me than for another AI and both of us were at Friendly, I would get that AI's vote for a diplo victory. I recently played a game where Gandhi had a +14 towards me and a +13 towards Washington, and he still voted for Washington. I immediately plowed through Indian lands, razing everything but the Holy Shrine city and won anyway, but he still ruined my diplo victory.

I don't know if this is a "new thing", but I always thought that if an AI had a higher diplo number for me than for another AI and both of us were at Friendly, I would get that AI's vote for a diplo victory. I recently played a game where Gandhi had a +14 towards me and a +13 towards Washington, and he still voted for Washington. I immediately plowed through Indian lands, razing everything but the Holy Shrine city and won anyway, but he still ruined my diplo victory.
The higher diplomacy number thing is true, but what you see isn't the whole truth. AIs have hidden diplo modifiers between each other based on peace weight, they can be as high as +4 I believe.

The higher diplomacy number thing is true, but what you see isn't the whole truth. AIs have hidden diplo modifiers between each other based on peace weight, they can be as high as +4 I believe.

And now I know that that is a "new thing". Thanks!

When you attack a worker with a gunship, it is destroyed rather than captured.

Top Bottom