Unpopular Opinion Thread

1. I like running SE.
2. Goody huts are fun (and make scouts better units).
3. Ironclads are the manliest weapons.
4. Naval battles rule.

:)

*puts Doshy on isolated deity, with a nice long tundra & ice landscape full of let's call them wandering Eskimos*

FACT: Ice Archers can overcome any obstacle
FACT: A thread full of unpopular opinions needs some Attacko

this is the superior

I agree with the unpopular statement that BUG is -UGLY-!

Also, I don't like killing civilizations. Make me feel bad inside. I'd rather make them a vassal, and if they die (or any nation dies), I want to resurrect them (possible in DoC mod)

TGW is one of the worst wonders in the game, and if you build it you should feel bad.

Ouch! But... but... I want a GSpy :lol:

For me,
  1. When doing an espionage economy, I do build castle on the scotland yard city.
  2. Real fun starts at modern era (despite the lags). To win in ancient or medieval era is very underwhelming.
  3. Privateers are fun even if it gets killed later on.
  4. Corporations are great!
  5. Commando promotion is powerful on armor units... enemy railroads ;)

I actually prefer to win late game in the modern era. There are so many more toys to play with. Plus there is something just a teeny bit awesome about watching your enemies lands be nuked.

Mounted units are awesome, Tristan
On marathon however 1 move siege stacks are already 1.5 times as fast as mounted on standard speed, relative to most of the rest of the game. Mounted on marathon can easily be seen as overkill as a result.
Mounted units aren't as straight-forward in use. Early game, horse archers can just take cities without siege support, but then you get into the middle ages and you need siege to take a city, unless you can do tricky forking manouvers to throw off the AI, but even then you'll probably only be able to burn a few marginal cities and not hold any.

After gunpowder and walls/castles are ignored, mounted units can once again take cities by themselves, if you get them early enough, and that's why cuirs and cav are popular.

Me personally, save from horse archers I don't like trying to take cities with mounted units alone. I really do love mounted units for their field-fighting abilities, however. Nothing really beats them in the field, and it's lots of fun blowing up my enemy's stack with knights. They actually make great defensive units as you can wipe out your enemy's siege weapons with ease.

Thanks for the responses to my unpopular opinion. I thought this over and I'd like to practice normal speed some more, emp and immortal. Is there a leader and non-fancy world script that would slant you to rush cuirs?

(I already like knights because fun awesome, so I'll start trying cuirs)

I cannot stand keeping around obsolete units. I either build wealth and upgrade them or I delete them.

I cannot stand keeping around obsolete units. I either build wealth and upgrade them or I delete them.

I'd say keeping obsolete units is more unpopular. As Japan, I always keep one samurai to remind me of tradition.

Traditioooooooooooon, tradition.

I like to keep a couple of old units around as a living museum of sorts. Often times, they'll perform military police duty in a safe city. Sometimes, when things are a bit more dicey, they'll be kept with the front line as an emergency reserve. It saved me three times in my last game. Run out of Riflemen to attack the city with? Send in the Stone Age Club Dude! No more Infantry or Cavalry? Good thing there's still a war elephant!

I like to keep a couple of old units around as a living museum of sorts. Often times, they'll perform military police duty in a safe city. Sometimes, when things are a bit more dicey, they'll be kept with the front line as an emergency reserve. It saved me three times in my last game. Run out of Riflemen to attack the city with? Send in the Stone Age Club Dude! No more Infantry or Cavalry? Good thing there's still a war elephant!

imagine how terrifying it would be to be sipping coffee in your modern city when all of a sudden a bunch of club wielding shirtless men and elephants rampage through the city

Even more terrifying when they decide to raze the city. There's never a cop around when you need one...

imagine how terrifying it would be to be sipping coffee in your modern city when all of a sudden a bunch of club wielding shirtless men and elephants rampage through the city

We destroyed all the Panzers and Jaegers but in doing so used all our ammunition. We had nothing to stop a lone 600 yeah old Landsknecht from reaching our lines and single-handedly forcing the entire city to raise the flag of the Reich.

How's this for an unpopular opinion? I think Tokugawa is one of the best leaders to play as. War, or peace, he has all the bases covered. While Japan might not be the best of civs, Toku is one of my personal favorites. If I choose to play peace, let my enemies throw themselves against my protective units fortified in my cities. Should I go to war, beware my rivals my aggressive armies.

I'd say keeping obsolete units is more unpopular. As Japan, I always keep one samurai to remind me of tradition.

Traditioooooooooooon, tradition.

A lot of people use outdated units as military police and for happiness if in hereditary. Ugrading is expensive and should only be done if the upgraded units will see action, not because the army needs to look modern.

A lot of people use outdated units as military police and for happiness if in hereditary. Ugrading is expensive and should only be done if the upgraded units will see action, not because the army needs to look modern.

Military strength can play a factor in AI decisions, though. Even if they are not on the front line.

I like Castles, and when I'm Protctive and/or have Stone I'll build them in every city. Who needs Economics anyway? Mercantilism works just fine for me.

Top Bottom