Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

Three more days 'till the deadline, and I've not received many order sets. I know it's been awhile since the last turn, but I've given plenty of warning for this one, and I don't see too many other NESes out there to keep you all from this one.

I'll get these written as soon as I have some genuine time to devote to them. Which should be tomorrow, seeing as I'm going to finish my own update tonight.

shoot, chad, PM me when you get on MSN. I need information.

Sorry, no MSN here. I'll talk it over with you when I return home. Also, one day 'till the deadline's up. I just realized that, due to timezone funkiness, the time of the deadline is not at all convenient for many of my players. Just try to have your orders in by midnight on August 29th, for whatever timezone you happen to be in.

Just try to have your orders in by midnight on August 29th, for whatever timezone you happen to be in.
Wow, a three weeks extension, just what I needed! :thanx: :p

OOC: Our orders are in pre-launch shakedown.

OOC: The danger with specifying "midnight" is that it either means 00:00 on 08.09, or 00:00 on 08.10 depending on who you talk to. More correctly, it means the former, in which case orders are due in about 12:43. If it's the latter, it's 36:43. :p

The Early Days of the Interstellar Commonwealth

On this day, January 1st of 2144, all territory under the Aegis of the European Union is to be reorganized into the Interstellar Commonwealth. This new organization will operate on the following three tenets:

1. Spread the Human Race, mixed together in all of its varieties, throughout the stars.

2. Work to create thriving populations on newly-discovered planets, in situations where they can survive independently, but thrive through a wide variety of positive relations with their neighbours.

3. Respect, study, and conserve native species discovered on newly-discovered planets.

This organization would be responsible for the establishment and funding of new colonies, gradually handing administrative power over to the local government as the planet grows increasingly self-sufficient, with the ultimate goal of creating a network of domestically-autonomous systems, united in mutual peace, intended to present a cohesive polity of humanity to the galaxy.

OOC: Shock and awe. :rolleyes: If it wasn't telegraphed from a mile away it'd be funny.

OOC: Well, it's not intended to be big and shocking, it's just a logical progression of events, and the polarization of different idealogies towards colonization.

OOC: I just think it's amusing I get accused of ruining the game by "ending history" (ie: making the "real game" uninteresting), and all your lieutenants just bent over and gleefully submitted to having their foreign policy controlled by a unitary entity even when they become fully independent, all in the name of creating a counterbalance (which, however you want to say it, is what this is about).

In short, the exact thing the SF was being accused of, despite the fact it wasn't what it was doing. The very definition of irony. And completely typical of NESers.

"There's a great big scary alliance bloc over there!"
"Well, screw them! Let's make our own big scary alliance bloc!"
[...]

Do you want to cut to the chase, ditch tradition and have the titanic war now, or is it better to savor the moment? :rolleyes:

Did I accuse you of ending history? No, I simply said that I disagreed with your methods of colonization. The actions of the EU/IC were supported by the different governors and populations represented.

BTW, I realized a slight error in my post, which I have fixed. 'foreign policy' has been replaced by 'mutual peace'. Foreign policy was from an earlier idea which has been decided against.

Additionally, what I have done hasn't really strengthened me, at least in terms of raw power- it's still just the nations that made up the EU, though other like-minded nations are certainly invited to join.

Frankly, if we can work out a good, practical, and mutually acceptable compromise on our main sticking point, ethnicity in colonization, the EU/IC would probably be happy to move the world one step closer to human unity by uniting with the SF.

OOC: I'm aware that the "zomg discussion ≡ e-penor competition" crowd will be clamoring for my head soon, so I'll keep this short, and even spoiler it.

Spoiler :
Did I accuse you of ending history?
Did I say it was you specifically?

'foreign policy' has been replaced by 'mutual peace'.
... So the same thing then as far as players care.

On the IC: how you're expecting Europe and a handful of almost entirely European colonies to represent all of humanity interests me greatly. You might suppose you'll get our people who don't have designated worlds, but we've enacted the proposed legislation (colonial mandate) which you decided to ignore for years, since you decided quite awhile ago to not even bother negotiating.

Meanwhile you mandate homogeneous blending--leaving us as the option holding both the bulk of mankind and its resources (the majority of which are the victims of former European colonialism), and greater local choice. So your option is... basically the same as the PRC's. As noted by the experience of Bacchus, it is the dissidents who are flocking to the colonies, and they're picking the ones with the greatest freedom.

Either you think that against all odds the people of Earth will for some reason pick your group (note: they aren't picking the PRC) or as I have postulated that this is just a powerplay in disguise to centralize power for military ends, because that is the only thing which the current amount of resources at your disposal can afford (particularly as, as you say, this formation has gained you no new resources or population than you had previously, and you were already strained--distributing your government bureaucracy thusly will only compound that, even if Europe maintains a majority share).

On the OOC: even if you weren't one of the critics, this IC formation cuts off "activity" (a large part of which is war) even with the downgrade to "mutual peace" far more than did the SF formation. Everybody who wanted me hung should want to see you drawn and quartered.

I can't say as I have a big problem with it because we're still going to beat you to it all, but all the people who actually wanted to do something in the IT might.

---

On the other matter, we already guarantee our planets independence and will very soon be allowing colonial groups the option of picking their settlement type, to be reviewed every 20 years in public referendum. The one who has steadfastly been slow to respond or disinclined to negotiate at every turn has been the European Union.

And lastly, we're not interested in micromanaging every last aspect of humanity, because that's the death of this game--happy utopia land where nothing interesting happens. There is an explicit reason why we did not set up an interstellar government, both IC (controlling interest) and OOC (interesting scenario). You wandered right on across the line.

2. Work to create thriving populations on newly-discovered planets

I know this is somewhat immature of me, but I couldn't help laughing when I read this. ;)

And the move itself seems mostly okay to me, though "Interstellar Confederation", while technically correct, sounds awfully generic. Can't it be the Brussels Pact or something?

I supported your idea of public referendum some time ago Sym.

Also, Europe has an extremely varied ethnic population due to several centuries of immigration, and our colonies are open to immigration from countries outside the EU- though I will freely admit that this does not make for a particularly accurate representation, it is a step towards an ideal.

On another note, my orders are sent, and I'm going to sleep now.

@Thlayli- Quite clearly, the Interstellar Commonwealth would be crushed in any conflict, it's more a dispute of two differing ideals.

@das- Well, the idea of referring to it as a generic name is to detach the organization from its European roots. If situations change, the name may do so as well.

And yes, that line may need revising... :mischief:

To me, the broader question seems to be whether human interstellar expansion will be directed (or even broadly organized) from a central point - Sol System - or be loosened into a variety of more independent efforts organized by the existing colonies themselves.

I supported your idea of public referendum some time ago Sym.
OOC: So Europe's difference consists of saying it's different, rather than being different? The only difference I'm seeing is that the colonies get incorporated into the government structure--which is pointless as all hell because the homeland (either Europe, or Earth) will outnumber them so tremendously as to easily overturn any input.

Summary: "Why hello, Hillary! My name's Barack." :p

The SolFed/ICom conflict dynamic is shaping up nicely. :p
Be gone, thou demon, we need none of your egging on of idiotic BlocWars here. Get thee to an industrial game and stay there.

To me, the broader question seems to be whether human interstellar expansion will be directed (or even broadly organized) from a central point - Sol System - or be loosened into a variety of more independent efforts organized by the existing colonies themselves.
Goddamnit, how many times does someone have to point out they don't have the people, the infrastructure, the developed resources, the industry, the economy, or the military to sustain colonial developments for at least a hundred years beyond the present?

Colonies here, are designed to empty population. Only Earth needs to be emptied or can afford to be. Get it through your heads!

Top Bottom